Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tyre combo
  • molly2202
    Free Member

What’s everyone running this winter for Singletrack, Trail centres, and Enduro type days? Can’t decide so what’s tried n tested?

jam-bo

Seeing as it’s currently the driest its been all year down the SW, I’m still on ikons.

mactheknife

Minion DHR2 front and rear. As i am still running 26 baby wheels i can get the compounds i want.

Pretty soon ill be changing to 650b and i have a trailking for out back duties.

poah
    Free Member

barons when it gets muddy for natural trails, HR2’s for everything else

colournoise

Butcher front and Purgatory rear on one bike, Hans Dampf front and Rock Razor rear on the other. These are my all round combos and are good enough for all but the wettest spells round here (although can see the Rock Razor being swapped for another HD sooner rather than later).

Got a pair of Storm Controls ready for the proper slop and some last resort Trailrakers if it gets truly biblical.

sharkattack

A pair of Spech Purg’s on the little bike.
    Muddy Mary’s on the big fella.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve been on a 2.4 HR2 front and 2.3 Minion SS (Semi slick) most of the year, which has been great. My challenge is to leave the semi slick on for as long into winter as I can. If I make it all the way through then great. I’ll go into spring a better rider.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Conti Baron Projekt 2.4 front and Spesh Butcher Grid 2.3 rear, may swap the butcher for a DHR II.

Northwind

minion 2.5 and dhr 2.3 for most of the year on the big bike, hr2 and captain on the little bike, bit of swapsies when I feel like it

kristoff
    Free Member

HR2 front and rear for me at the moment.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

magic mary front / HR2 rear

Been running Spesh tyres for as long as I can remember on the big bikes, with some Panaracers thrown in for good measure on the hardtail.

Just treated my Enduro to a new set of Butcher front and Purgatory rear…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zEWiYN]2015-10-12_05-19-07[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Tracey

Butcher front and Purgatory rear on all ours. Fit them and forget, run them all year round and only change them when they are worn out.

stevede
    Free Member

Shorty front, dhr2 rear on the five in exo casing and magic mary front and rear on the alpine 160 in sg casing. For really filthy, sloppy conditions I have the wtb warden for the front.

deviant
    Free Member

Magic Mary front, Minion DHR2 back….was fine on the DH runs at FoD today….looking at other people’s bikes Marys, Minions and High Rollers still seem to be the order of the day right now.

I’ve got another Mary to go on the back for when things get wetter/muddier….once things progress beyond that I tend to switch to road riding until the spring!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I need new tyres too. 27.5 for trail riding. Thinking of trail kings or the specialized set up people are talking about.

Tracey – Member
    Butcher front and Purgatory rear on all ours. Fit them and forget, run them all year round and only change them when they are worn out.

I do swap mine for High Rollers when I go to BPW

thegreatape
    Free Member

Butcher Grids front and rear, only had them on for a couple of months but they seem spot on.

warpcow
    Free Member

The last couple of years it’s been Baron/Ardent, but this year I caved waiting for the new Baron (typical!) and went with the Butcher/Purg (both Grid) combo. First ride on them this afternoon.

HT’s on cut Schwalbe Wicked Wills, but I don’t think you can get those anymore.

oldejeans
    Free Member

@ sharkattack

I’ve had a Magic Mary on the front, and a DHF on the rear. The DHF now has a 10mm bulge over about 200mm. Considering replacing with another Mary on the back. How are you finding it for rolling/climbing etc?

rocketman
    Free Member

Haven’t changed anything for the past few years

We have good days and bad days in winter same as any other time

stevied
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty (EXO 3C TR) front, DHR2 (EXO TR) rear. Not the fastest rolling but plenty of grip. Shorty really is very, very good up front. Only beat it’s missed was onto tarmac coming from the trail when I landed slightly sideways. Still gripped but I did think I was a goner..

deviant
    Free Member

Ok, to save starting a separate thread about tyres… I’m off to Antur Stiniog next weekend, weather looks dry….. What tyres?…. I’m thinking ditch my usual Mary up front as it’s really a soft terrain tyre and Antur is rocky right?

I have a 2.5 Minion DHF somewhere, shall I put that on instead?….matched with the 2.3 DHR2 as they’re both Exo/dual ply.
    Also have Exo/dual ply High Rollers in various sizes if they’d be better….even got a rare 2.35 dual ply Larsen FR in Super Tacky if that’d be better on the back…. I’m taking the HT, don’t expect to be riding the blacks if I’m honest….blues and then step up to the reds sounds like a good day to me.

stevied
    Free Member

^ DHF is great at Antur.
    A good, rocky, combination I found was a DHR2 ST front with a Griffin ST on the back. Oodles of grip @ BPW recently

deviant
    Free Member

Yeah, the Minion usually goes back on for BPW too.

Good, all clear…Minions front and rear, super tacky 2.5 DHF and 2.3 normal compound DHR2…can’t wait.

SirHC

Purgatory/Ground Control (Grid casing) on the all day wheels (Arches)

Butcher/Butcher (Grid Casing) on the enduro/abuse wheels (Tech Enduros), will be picking up a shorty for the front as well.

molly2202
    Free Member

DHR2? D meaning the Downhill casing??

warpcow
    Free Member

molly2202 – Member
    DHR2? D meaning the Downhill casing??

Downhill casing is ‘dual-ply’. DHR2 is just the name.

molly2202
    Free Member

what does the D stand for then?

stevied
    Free Member

The name for the DHF and DHR is devived from downhill.
    DownHillFront
    DownHillRear.
    🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tyre combo’ is closed to new replies.