Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tyre combinations?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I used to be very happy with (lust) High Rollers at both ends, but now I’m even more so slightly happier with a HR up front & an Ignitor rear, its noticeably quicker, the back end now has a bit more slide to it when unweighted yet the front end still bites when flinging it around in the berms.

Anyone else mix and match their tyres, what are you using?

obligatory picture of bike leaning on wooden object:

and yes, I’m well aware of the logos/rims/valves travesty.

woah, rong forum, mod’s please could you boot it over there please?

<—-

lunge

High Roller front, Advantage or RaceKing rear on my “normal” bike
    Minion Front, Big Earl rear on my heavy duty bike

molgrips
    Free Member

Front and rear tyres need to do quite different things. Back along, it was the norm to have specific tyres. No idea why that changed.

thepurist

I went the other way – started with Ignitors F&R. You know that slidey feeling you’re getting on the back? It’s not so nice on the front, so I’ve stuck an HR up there and its way better.

carbon337
    Free Member

Local Natural trails: Minion dh f 2.35 ST front + HR 60a 2.35 rear

Glentress: Advantage 2.25 front + HR 60 2.35 rear – the ADV is so much bigger

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, I had Ignitors front and rear before, then took em off for that exact reason, a dreadful front tyre in all but the driest conditions but great on the back end

steve_b77
    Free Member

When it gets a bit drier I’ll run a Racing Ralph out back with a Nobby Nic up front.

At the moment I have a 2.25″ Nobby Nic up front and a 2.1″ Nobby Nic out back, it feels better having the narrower tyre out back for grip in crappy conditions IMHO

Mounty_73

Looking at replacing the RKing 2.2 on the rear of my Zesty, slipping and sliding ever where…almost a semi-slick !

xiphon
    Free Member

Got some Scott Cougars (2.25″), front and back. Picked them up cheap – £15 for the pair, brand new – so can’t complain really.

Probably opt for Maxxis HR next.

nickjb
    Free Member

A smoke and a dart 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A tyre thread, in the Chat Forum???

😯

BURN THE INFIDEL!!!!!!!!!

rondo101
    Free Member

2.35 HR front & 2.1 advantage rear.

Mounty_73

What would you replace a RKing 2.2 on the rear with ?

🙂

stumpy01

Spesh Purgatory on the front, Captain on the back. Came with the bike and they work really well. Will probably stay with them, especially as they are the 2bliss ones.
    Went up no bother with a track pump on my first go, so get my vote!!

Fancy the idea of some lightweight ‘racy’ tyres, but can’t be doing with all that swapping them over.
    Might put some on the Inbred wheels in the summer, although the Speedkings on at the moment are pretty good.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mud-X front and Small Block 8 rear’s quite funky – fast with a slidey back end but doen’t throw you into a tree when you try to go round a corner. Especially nice before it dries out enough for SB8 front and rear.

float
    Free Member

minion f on the front. conti xking (protection version 8) ) on the back.

MrNutt
    Free Member

shark bait, you seen the HR SS?? could be just your kettle of fish up front?

the_lecht_rocks

fat albert front specific
    fat albert rear specific

simply brilliant tyres 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Kenda nevegal 2.3 on the front,maxxis ardent 2.25 rear. Run well but will try a minion 2.5 3c when the nev wears out though .

rewski
    Free Member

Mounty_73 – I replaced both the Rking and Mtking on my Zesty with Bonty Mud x’s – sweet. Might put the kings back on come late spring though, although lots use Mud x as all year tyre.

thomthumb
    Free Member

racing ralph front vulpine rear. for the XC bike (not this time of year though)
    rubber queen front larsen tt rear. for the other bike.

like my back end slippery 😉

Mounty_73

Mounty_73 – I replaced both the Rking and Mtking on my Zesty with Bonty Mud x’s – sweet. Might put the kings back on come late spring though, although lots use Mud x as all year tyre.

I have those tyres on my Stumpy, but I think they only do up to 2.0 ?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tyre combinations?’ is closed to new replies.