Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyre choices
  • allmtndave
    Free Member

Hello,

Just after some advice on tyre choice, I have recently bought this years Orange Crush and I’m finding the tyre a bit too draggy for what I usually ride. So I’m looking for a tough quick tyre if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers

wiggles
    Free Member

What tyres have you got?

lee170
    Free Member

I have a 2015 crush with spesh purgatorys on, Which roll ok but I’m thinking maybe high roller 2’s for my next tyre

spectabilis
    Free Member

WTB Trail Boss

whitestone
    Free Member

Perhaps more importantly *where* do you ride? Trail centres? Natural(sic) bridleways?

mattyfez

Ron front /ralph rear is plenty quick, plenty tough enough if you run sensible pressures.

allmtndave
    Free Member

High roller 2 3c exo front and an ardent rear.
    Riding is a mixture of both natural and trail centre. I’ve tried a minion dhf 3c on the front but still slow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve tried a minion dhf 3c on the front but still slow.

Pedal harder/brake less

Are you happy with the grip?
    If you have plenty then look at some thing smaller up front. Ardent/Agressor maybe? Summer time the ardent is a capable beast in the right hands.
    Drag also comes from the rear, what size ardent? there is a difference in tread depth between the 2 sizes.

Northwind

That’s a fairly quick tyre combo already tbh. Not XC quick but grippy quick.You could maybe look at a semi-slick for the rear but they have their obvious downsides too. But you won’t add speed without downsides.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tubeless? Makes a huge difference.

allmtndave
    Free Member

There’s enough grip on the front but the back is lacking in the wet a little.
    Running tubes.
    Both tyres are 2.35
    I’ve been looking at the minion ss as a possibility

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A grippy rear will make it more dragging usually

allmtndave
    Free Member

If this is the best compromise between speed and grip ill have to stick with it, I just thought id ask and see if anyone else had a quicker combination.
    Looks like my legs will be hurting for a few rides then.

Thanks for everyone’s input, much appreciated

Cheers

wiggles
    Free Member

I’d say that is pretty reasonable in terms of speed/grip balance already.

Summer combo for me is a specialized butcher front and a slaughter on the rear (or a ground control before the slaughter was around)

jonnym92

Sounds like a quick combination already – ride it.
    I’m not sure you’re going to see a massive difference by switching to a Minion SS, I’d say just ride and get fitter.

There is no ‘best’ tyre combination, it’s all relevant and personal to you/where you ride most.

Northwind

The thing about the semislicks is different grip, not really more or less… They’re faster in a straight line but sometimes can be a lot less grippy, they’ve got no engagement so braking grip is down but also pedalling over techy features and the like. But there’s a lot more grip when the knobs get in on the act- cornering and soft ground.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choices’ is closed to new replies.