• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tyre choice/combination for Spring Summer – 29er
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

Hi

I do varied riding largely in the peaks. Mountain, cross country and singletrack on My Tallboy.

So I am after a good all round tubeless tyre combination to take me through to Autumn.

I was thinking:

Rear Continental Mountain King II 2.2 and Front same but 2.4
    or
    Rear Maxis Ardent and front Maxis High Roller (which may be a bit of a winter tyre?)
    So, are these good choices or could you please suggest alternatives?

Thx

jonnyrockymountain

Bontrager XR3 front and XR2 rear (team issue versions)

Clobber
    Free Member

Bomboloni

mboy
    Free Member

Ardent rear, Minion DHF front is a good all round combo. HR2 is too draggy, and a very “all or nothing” tyre IMO.

If you want to go faster, pop a Minion SS or an Ardent Race on the back…

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for those suggestions.

Markend
    Free Member

I use Ardent Race on the rear with DHF on the front in 3C compound. Works well for me through Spring/Summer/Autumn

warpcow
    Free Member

Last year was DHF and Ardent Race. This year is DHF and SS. Had the SS on for a few rides already and it’s only positive differences (bigger volume, lower resistance) so far, and that’s considering I really like the Ardent Race for the most part.

rocketman
    Free Member

Can’t really go wrong with the Minion/Ardent combo imo. It works everywhere all the time unless conditions are extreme

HRII on the front not too bad if you prefer a rounder profile and corner like Geoff Duke but a Minion digs in

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks
    Think I will try Ardent rear and Minnion front then.
    What is the advantage/diasadvantage of 3c?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Plan to run Hutchinson Toro front and the new Hutchinson python2 on the rear when things dry out,

rocketman
    Free Member

The 3C is a harder, faster, long-lasting compound where you need it most and a softer, grippier compound where you need it most. I have had a few examples where the transtion between compounds has been rather abrupt but it depends on the model of tyre. 3C Minions generally fine

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I am loving my Maxxis Ikon rear/Rocket Ron front on my hardtail.
    I run the same Ikon rear but Nobby Nic front on my trail fs.
    Might be a bit flyweight for some though!
    Max

BillOddie

Another vote for Minion DHF front, Ardent Rear.

I occasionally stick a Ardent up front with a Crossmark out back if it gets proper dry and dusty.

Paceman
    Free Member

Schwalbe Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf rear works for me (Trailstar/Pacestar compounds).

matt007
    Free Member

Minnion front 2.3 exo tr flavour (on the front), was running an ardent race 2.2 exo tr on the rear and loving it until i ripped a hole in it on a sideways landing at glentress last october, not the tyres fault!

I would have gone for same on rear again but couldnt get hold of one, so now running a 2.25 exo crossmark on the rear, but noticeably less grippy in corners than the ardent race, so will stich back when this wears out.

I’d definatley go ardent race rather than standard ardent on the rear, its faster rolling and handled most conditions I found myself in just fine, including BPW with an inch of snowfall at the top last year

stevied
    Free Member

Liking the Aggressor more than the DHF on the front at the mo. Works nicely with an A Race on the back too.

beaker

Just bookmarking this for future reference. As you were.

llama

anyone got feedback on the minion ‘semi slick’ ?

stevied
    Free Member
    Northwind

Not on the minion ss but I have the specialized equivalent, the slaughter. Interesting tyre, probably not for everyone- it has cornering grip and very little straightline on hard stuff, which is pretty managable for braking but surprisingly annoying with pedalling, I just can’t get up some rock sections that are fairly simple on a normal tyre.

Still haven’t settled on a front tbh. HR2 not very good in 29er IMO but haven’t decided what to replace it with.

stevied
    Free Member

Have you thought about an Aggressor NW? Very impressed with mine (27.5″) and seems to be better than a DHF.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Just spec’d DHF / DHR II on the new bike. I would have preferred the Aggressor but I’ve not seen it in stock anywhere and I may switch to an Ardent (which is what I’ve got on the current bike) if the DHR II feels to draggy. The HR II on the demo bike certainly did.

Northwind

Aggressor looks interesting but doesn’t seem to exist in 29er yet. DHR2 3C might get a look in too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped to Vittoria Barzo’s on my Scarp 29’er, only done 100km on them so far but they griped well on everything Built Wells could throw at them, roll well and went up tubeless really easily.

I’ve got Vittoria Peyote’s on my 29’er HT and they’re a bit more sketchy but very fast and plenty grippy enough for what their intended use is.

sam_underhill

Anyone tried the minion SS on the front? paired with an ardent race on the back it strikes me that it could be a nice fast rolling combo with a bit of front end bite when you need it.

andyxxx
    Free Member

This afternoon I purchased and fitted Ardent rear and Minnion front and have just got back from a long ride. Very dry and varied terrain and am happy with the choice – thanks.

Dolby on Saturday and its forecast showers so looking forward to how the setup performs.

br
    Free Member

Anyone tried the minion SS on the front? paired with an ardent race on the back it strikes me that it could be a nice fast rolling combo with a bit of front end bite when you need it.

😯

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice/combination for Spring Summer – 29er’ is closed to new replies.