Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tyre choice for Paris roubaix (sportive that is)
  • turneround

ok, got a set of Lauf Grit SL’s on order, taking the Croix de fer ti over the moots Vamoots CR. Got some nice king /stans grail ready, just need the tyres.

Looking for some 30mm tubeless for the event, any suggestions please…

ta

bigdog
    Free Member

Hi

I rode it in the awful dust and hot sunshine this year. Schwalbe one 700 x 25. That was all my Dale could fit. 65 psi FRONT 70 REAR. No punctures and still loving them back home at 80 psi. Sure I passed many on 30 mm at 100 psi but a few passed me running at much less psi.
    Hope this helps.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

G-Ones, at the cost of at least one kidney? 😆

corroded
    Free Member

Any file-tread tyre of 28mm or more. Challenge Paris Roubaix / Strade Bianca obviously, and the Schwalbes would be great (and my choice these days). Just give yourself as much volume as possible. I think I used 28mm at 70psi or so. I’d go 30mm now. The 29ers were quicker on the cobbles anyway.

aP
    Free Member

This year I rode it on 38mm Compass 650b tyres. It was much more pleasurable than the previous 4 years I’ve ridden it on smaller tyres – initially 28, then 30, then 33, then 35. Just put on the biggest ones you can fit. Slightly slower on the roads, but much, much faster on the pave.

jobless
    Free Member

done it on 25s (80PSI), 28s (70ish) and 32s (45).
    strangely on the same bike.

the 25s felt faster, but i was younger.
    the 32s were great as it was wet at the start. i finished with a puncture on Hem and rode the velodrome on the rim (after a gas-and-go – no fix)

from now on i’ll be on 32s. But it can be done on anything. just take the pressure down.

TiRed

Paris-Roubaix – has to be some Vittoria Paves with iconic green bands. But not tubeless, so I’d say G-One Speeds.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

This year I rode it on 38mm Compass 650b tyres. It was much more pleasurable than the previous 4 years I’ve ridden it on smaller tyres – initially 28, then 30, then 33, then 35. Just put on the biggest ones you can fit. Slightly slower on the roads, but much, much faster on the pave.

This.

I did it this year on 38mm Compass Barlow Pass 700c tyres. Comfortable and not noticeably slower on the tarmac.
    I’ll be running the same next year as well I think.

dovebiker

Ridden the full-course 270km a few times in the 00s – sadly no longer run. Simply put, the biggest tyres you can fit – if you’re being overtaken by MTBs of any flavour you’re doing it wrong. 30mm G-ones would be ideal. Spending time training, rolling a big gear whilst driving from your quads almost ‘floating’ on the back of the saddle takes the weight off your arse, hands & wrists – double / gel bar tape, decent shorts and well-padded mitts essential.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@dovebiker, check out the video gcn did. 29er hardtail is the fastest type of bike over the cobbles, so it’s not a case of doing it wrong.

wool

Stylistically wrong using a MTB

fifeandy
    Free Member

Of that there is no doubt, and pretty sure it’d feel quite wrong on the legs riding the full 270km course on a HT too!

Adventure bike on WTB horizons looks like a nice option though. Or maybe for the OP some 700×40 marathon supremes which may fit in a CdF?

fatmax

Wrong to use a suspension fork too? Surely the challenge is to ride the cobbles as per the pros, on a road bike. Having ridden it once I don’t see the attraction or challenge of riding it on a mountain bike or with a suspension fork.
    The Lauf will be more comfortable tho!

palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve only tried clinchers, but both Clement Strada LGG and Continental 4 Seasons ran well in terms of grip.

turneround

Thanks all, I was heading for the g-ones in 30mm.
    Stylistically, well I’m not too bothered if I’m doing it wrong, being 46 I need all the comfort I can get so the lauf’s are coming with me. Thanks dovebiker, bars double taped already 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tyre choice for Paris roubaix (sportive that is)’ is closed to new replies.