Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyre choice for CYB enduro next week
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Ive built up a bit of a collection and not sure which combo to go with… It would help if i knew the route if anyone is in the know (is it all trail centre Or off piste?) tubeless on 25mm rims on a spitfire if it matters.

Minion dhf 3c exo
    Minion dhr2 3c exo
    High roller 2 3c exo
    High roller dual ply dh 42a (not sure i want to drag it round)
    Minion SS 3c exo (perhaps a bit optomistic for april? Not ridden it yet.)

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Oh and a 60a dhf exo as well.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

sticky up front fast out back, HR2 front & DHF out back would be a good call.

zedz
    Free Member

Err? None of the above 🙂

You’re doing two laps, one practice and one race? So faster rolling tyres for practice and swap for race if they don’t stick enough, depending on conditions. It may dry out later etc, but expect it to be ruttier and stickier than the practice lap.

I usually go WTB Bronson’s for practice and if they slide too much swap to Magic Mary’s Trailstar. I know I’m going to up it for the race run so a little extra grip usually evens out the rush of adrenaline!

I do have two sets of wheels though 😆

Good luck and I may see you there!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Yea got two sets of wheels. So i can queue the othere up. The others are 29mm wide though so some tyres dont get on with them (HR2).

Reckon my safe setting is DHF front and rear (60a on the back).

Really want to try the shorty but doubt the rocks of brenin are the place to try it unless its all off piste.
    Also tempted to try dhr 2 instead if dhf in the front as everyone seems to like it.

Wondering if the minion SS might be ok being as its so rocky there even if its wet… Could try it in practice.

gelert
    Free Member

I’m keeping Minion DHR2 out back (because it’s reliable and rolls well) with the option to run a Nobby Nic up front in practice and a front wheel swap to a Magic Mary for racing. I’m a huge fan of the Mary up front all year now. I ride the Nic on my other bike and I think it’s great up front too.

Raced on Hans Dampf both ends at last year’s CyB Enduro. No issues with those either there.

There is no tyre issue at CyB really. You just want something reliable over sharp rocks.

All tubeless Trail Star Snake Skins on the Schwalbe and 3C EXO TR for the Maxxis.

I won’t ride anything from Maxxis up front though. It’s just not as sticky as Schwalbe up front. That’s not a CyB specific thing though. It’s just something I’ve come to from my short experience on bikes. The Maxxis tyres are more rock / puncture resistant out back though. That’s just my preference. I’m still rocking 26 inch wheels though so it might be duff info for bigger wheels!! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I won’t ride anything from Maxxis up front though. It’s just not as sticky as Schwalbe up front.

I felt that 3C Maxx Terra was stickier than Trailstar, though I didn’t ride my Trailstar MM that much.

Finkill

Rode with a Specialized Slaughter Grid on the back for the Fox Antifreeze event there a few weeks ago and it was ace. No grip issues and a little faster rolling. Trailstar Hans Dampf on the front was also good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minion all round, just the best all rounder.

zedz
    Free Member

I’m keeping Minion DHR2 out back (because it’s reliable and rolls well) with the option to run a Nobby Nic up front in practice and a front wheel swap to a Magic Mary for racing.

Good principle IMO. Fast/Fast, Fast/Sticky or Sticky/Sticky depending in conditions, which will deteriorate as the day goes on. Anyone who did Dyfi WES round end of last year will appreciate that, two stages were complete mudfests.

People’s bikes and setups are all different as well as the way you ride or react to levels of grip and slide, how much air pressure you run, tubeless or not, as well as your stock of tyres you have and which brand you buy into, so really go with the principle and use the tyre you know will make you feel confident.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

That day at dyfi was my last race, and i took the wrong tyres, hence the treppidation here. Ill get the truing stand out, get my spare wheels straight and mount up 2 sets.

Ill practice on the minion SS rear, dhf front, and bang in the shorty and a DHF or the dhr2 out back if its needed. The DHR2 is a 3c so its not the fastest roller, cant get a 60a in 650b which is why i ended up with the 60a dhf.

You mention using the magic mary year round… Are people doing the same with the shorty? Look very similar

gelert
    Free Member

Ok, so the rear Minion DHR2 3C TR EXO let me down big style at CyB. Or more accurately Stans sealant did. I’ve ordered some Orange Seal to try that next. Should have changed tyres at lunch but it pretended to seal up at 40PSI (with a 60ml top of of fresh Stans just in case) only to squirt everywhere after the first rock on S1 so I had to pump up before each stage and hope for the best. Threw caution to the wind on S3 though as it ended by the car park and it was rolling over on the rim by the final berms. Was by far my best stage though as I decided not to worry about the tyre and go for it whatever. Loved the race though. S3 was a cracker.

Superstar Carbon rim survived too – completely unscathed. Tough bastard as I heard a few dings on S2.

Bit of bad luck with the Stans but that’s racing 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice for CYB enduro next week’ is closed to new replies.