Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyre choice for commuting on CX bike
  • chitts2012
    Free Member

Hi All.

My first post on the forum, so hopefully I’ll get lots of helpful suggestions.

I got a Genesis CX Day one for Christmas and apart from doing a bit of CX, I’ll be using it to commute. The round trip is about 20 miles on tarmac and I wondered what tyre choice to go with. It currently has Conti Speed Kings 35mm.

Do I stick with these or change to slicks and if so, what’s the range of tyres I can use. I use Conti hardshell gators on my road bike.

Cheers
    J

Sam

A nice wide road tyre is probably your best choice. I just got some Challenge Parigi-Roubaix’s and they are a lovely light and supple but wide tyre.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

The answer depends on how much road V’s offroad you’ll do with the bike. I use mine about 50/50 and use Schwalbe land cruisers, slower than road tyres on Tarmac but Still quick enough and i can nip offroad whenever I feel the need. My commute is a mix.

clubber
    Free Member

The simple answer is whatever you’d choose for a road bike. I’ve used speedkings when I couldn’t be bothered to swap and they’re fine but wear fast. I use 23mm slicks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my commute is a bit ‘urban’, and there’s a fair bit of glass about.

so i use ’28mm schwalbe marathon plus’ tyres, and check them weekly for bits of glass.

they’re heavy, and not fast, but about as good as it gets against punctures.

bigger tyres means i can run them a bit softer, so more comfortable over potholes i haven’t seen because it’s dark, andor i’ve been looking out for cars instead.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 32mm Conti sport contacts on my tourer/commuter, no complaints so far. Probably not the most robust tyre but my commutes are generaly country/B/A roads rather than town centers so puncture resistance wasnt a prirority. and they do seem lighter, faster rolling and more comofrtable than most other tyres I’ve tried.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice for commuting on CX bike’ is closed to new replies.