Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyre choice for Antur Stiniog?
  • goby

Hi all, not done much uplifts before and was wondering what your suggestion for tyre choice for a weekend of uplift here would be? Any help apprecated!

honourablegeorge

There’s plenty of rocks, so dual ply is a good plan.

kayak23

Yup, dual ply, quadruple ply if it’s a hardtail 😀

AndyRT
    Free Member

There is very little mud, and plenty of rocks. DH tyres all the way.

Oh, and don’t go round the rock garden on the Blue….it’s a bridge through a nasty bog. You will lose you bike!

Minion and high roller would be my choice

goby

Ah ok i managed to get hold of a front minon 2.5 42a, so i high roller 2 ply for rear ok then? 42a agian?

goby

Can you run them tubless?

scruff
    Free Member

2 (DH) ply maxxpro on the back if you can, it’ll be alot quicker.

Northwind

I stuck a dualply highroller on the front for toughness and traction but control carcass butcher was fine on the back (I couldn’t be bothered to change it, and it’s reasonably tough). it’ll expose a weak tyre but full dualply isn’t essential, just probably a good idea.

The big rocks are mostly reasonably smooth and well laid, there’s not that many hard sharp edges… but there’s lots of wee sharp stones etc. Some of the dirt sections are fairly loose so a toothy tyre helps.

trusty

I rode what I usualy use – chunky monkey on the front and Spesh ground control on the back (6 inch trail bike). Both were run tubeless to stop pinch flats tho. I did fine on that (and I wasn’t mincing either) but with hindsight something a bit toothier on the back would have been nice as the gc did sliiide a bit sometimes. It’s a great place though, I loved it and can’t wait to go back. Take a ff lid though as you’ll need it to do the red and blacks.

nigew
    Free Member

I would go for a dual ply super tacky on the rear, I used a Minion front on my 2nd visit, the Ardent punctured twice on the first trip there 😳 #
    Try and use DH tubes too.

goby

Ah ok thanks all, will look out for a cheap minion / highroller in 2.5 for the rear then.
    Think I try them tubeless to start on local stuff and take tubes. Can’t wait to go there! 🙂

Northwind

It’s bloody good! I’ve got innerleithen nearby and inners has more trails, and maybe more variety but antur still has brilliant trails, and a far better uplift.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyre choice for Antur Stiniog?’ is closed to new replies.