Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyre Choice Conti Black Chilli vs Nobby Nic Pacestar 29er
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi Everyone,

I am aware there are a lot of threads about tires but just wanted to get your thoughts on my specific requirement. Please feel free to make any recommendations.

Currently Riding Trail and Adhoc Commute.

Requirement : Tubeless Ready Tire, 29, Fast and multi condition use.

Tyres: Nobby Nic Pacestar 29er, Continental Mountain King II & Racing Ralph 29 Pacestar.

Thanks

acer2012
    Free Member

Just to make the choice even harder: maybe a Maxxis ADvantage?

I’ve found Nobby nics to wear too fast on the back, IMO they grip well in a decent range of conditions though.
    You need to get a black chilli version to make continental tyres good on anything remotely slippy. If you do though, a mountain king is a pretty good all-rounder but maybe a bit slow rolling for commuting?

rickon
    Free Member

Pacestar is fast rolling, so good for commuting.

Black chili is far grippier, better in the wet, lasts longer. But is more draggy and a bit heavier for any given similar tyre.

For trail riding with rocks, and if I rode quick downhill it’d be contis all the way.

If I lived for the climbs, and wanted to sprint everywhere and didn’t mind giving up so!e grip, I’d go for the Schwalbe.

Both tubeless easily, sidewalls on the Nic and Ralph are fine generally, the racesport are thin as paper, so if you’re riding near rocks, go for the protection.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Great information although I am still stuck as certainly need pacestar so I can commute adhoc, but would also like to use on Trails. Based on this the Ralphs seem interesting anymore help would be most appreciated.

Trimix
    Free Member

I tried some Nobby Nicks, and sold them after about three rides. They gave me no confidence when cornering compared to my usually Minion DHF or High Rollers.

But that was when ragging it to my limits round Cwn Carn and local Chilterns rides and a day at Woburn. Perhaps “normal” riding they would be fine.

Its pretty subjective, so I would advise you just buy as set and try for yourself. I did, and learned more than reading the interweb.

chiefgrooveguru

What tyres are currently on your bike and what things are best and worst about them? You can have more grip or faster rolling, better lifespan or more grip, better mud performance or better dry performance, etc. Do you ride muddy woodland with lots of corners as fast possible and wet tree roots or do you prefer to ride bridleways? Do you ride all-weather trail centres or steep loose natural trails? What matters most to you?

rickon
    Free Member

Nic front, Ralph rear. Popular combo, probably cheap on on one at the moment too.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi Chiefhrooveguru

The tyres I currently have are Geax Saguaro 29 × 2.2 Inch Folding with tubes but I want to run tubeless ready tyres hence the reason for change.

Hi rickon I was advise of that combo initially but thought I would still search, the version of tyre would it be the pacestar.

Thanks for your help.

chiefgrooveguru

In that case I’d just put a tubeless valve in, tape your rims if necessary and mount those same tyres back without tubes – and once they’re seated open a gap between bead and rim and squirt a load of sealant in before pumping them back up. They might not work tubeless but most tyres do!

Frankers
    Free Member

I run Geax Saguaro folding tyre tubeless, they go up better than many “tubeless ready” tyres

ratherbeintobago

There is a school of thought that says to use a NN Trailstar front (softer compound for more grip) and NN Pacestar rear (harder compound for lower rolling resistance and longer lifespan). Only comments I have is that Schwalbe sidewalls have acquired a reputation for being fragile, though whether their worse than Contis is a moot point, and that 29ers are meant to need a less aggressive tread than 26ers due to the bigger contact patch.

Having said all this, I intend to go for Conti MK2 ProTections F&R when my planned 29er build happens as I’ve got the 26×2.2 ones on my current bike and like them.

rickon
    Free Member

whether their worse than Contis is a moot point

Nope, Conti racesport sidewalls < schwalbe nn/RR sidewalls < conti protection sidewalls

Conti racesport sidewalls = Schwalbe Rocketron / furious Fred sidewalls

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi Chiefhrooveguru

The rims are American Classic Tubeless 29 that are already prepared with tape so just a matter of replacing valves which dealer supplied and tires.

takisawa2

I used to use Kenda’s…Smallblock8’s in summer, & Blue Groove / Nevegal combo in Winter.
    Going to 29″ meant a rethink, as they don’t do a Blue Groove in 29″.
    Tried a few combos, but settled on the Ralphs front & rear.
    Eventually I dumped the 29″ Smallblock’s as the Ralphs roll almost as well.
    They arent everybody’s cup of tea though, but I like them. They do lose traction once it gets loose, but I find it’s more gradual, & you get a bit of warning. In the 2.35″ size they can run down to 25psi with no issues.

Gee76
    Free Member

I have a saguaro 29 x 2.2 folding rear running tubeless on my pacenti tl28 rims. Went up fine and good so far. Roll very well and have enough rubber in them at 700g to be robust too.

I’m running a mountain king mk2 racesport black chilli on front and that’s been good so far too. Very light and fragile tho so not one to risk on the back IMHO. Comes in at 580 grams if it helps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Choice Conti Black Chilli vs Nobby Nic Pacestar 29er’ is closed to new replies.