Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyre boots – fit and forget or bin the tyre when you get home?
  • mtbfix

Two holes by the bead in my tubeless tyres are refusing to seal. A standard patch is being forced through one of them. Both holes are 6mm+ long splits so will a boot effect a long term fix or should I write the tyre off?

robhenry85
    Free Member

i always think of a boot as a “get me home” fix, so i’d say bin.

but thats just what i’d do, maybe cry a little at having to buy a new tyre 😥

wwaswas

if a ‘proper’ tyre patch (not an inner tube one) isn’t sealing it then I’d bin the tyre.

stevie750
    Free Member

I have a split that became a bit of a flap. Used a boot to cover, lasted about a couple of weeks of daily use before boot failed.

mtbfix

As we are half way through winter I shalln’t be buying a new tyre so it is not all bad. However I’m out of sealant so it will be spending money anyway.

Tubeless is ace until it goes wrong.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fixing problems near the bead is already pretty tough.

I fitted a brand new set of Maxxis 2.5″ USTs last July and promptly put a huge slash in one of them after about two days riding. It had cut the tread and outer rubber, so was leaking air fairly rapidly, but hadn’t cut the (dual ply) casing. I put a big tubeless patch on the inside then happily spend the rest of the summer guiding on it without any hassles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyre boots – fit and forget or bin the tyre when you get home?’ is closed to new replies.