Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tyre blowing off Stan's rim – tubeless replacement recommendations?
  • hillsplease

Morning All

Imagine my surprise when out pedalling to find a Maxxis High Roller (normal type) blowing off my Stan's rim with a small dent in it. Switched to UST tyres and it has happened again, this time whilst hung on my cellar wall, altogether less exciting, and I now have a small latex pond in my cellar.

Clearly it's time for a new rim – but do I replace with UST or go Stan's again? Mavic – heavier but seemingly more robust v Stan's lighter but flimsier for the 17st of lard bouncing merrily atop it.

I thank you

Paul

sv

Which Stans rim?

molgrips
    Free Member

Stans are awesome. When they're not dented.. I suspect that a dent would screw up any rim with tubeless.

Stans every time, if you can afford it. Stans are NOT flimsy, they are made without the sidewalls they don't need which is why they are light.

hillsplease

SV – ZTR 355

Molgrips – don't get me wrong I really like the idea of Stan's the lightness of them and that they seem to run true. The UST rims (Mavic) have proven to better withstand the use/abuse (dings, dents and such)they get round here from me – this isn't a go at Stans, just 'horses for courses.'

The other point with their lightness is they're not carrying 50g of threaded 'collars' holding the spoke nipple in place – which is a big plus if you've got to work on them.

I might just need to accept that I'm outwith a weight that's appropriate for the Stan's and go back to Mavic.

Toodle pip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tyre blowing off Stan's rim – tubeless replacement recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.