Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tyre blow-off
  • jdwafc
    Free Member

Just got some hope pro2 evo’s on Mavic xc717 rims, my tyres are maxxis ardent 2.25
    Only riding home from work and pop, tyre popped off the rear rim ?
    Wasn’t over or under inflated, guessing around 40-45psi , according to mavic this rims max tyre size is 2.1 but everyone is writing it’s fine or “i run 2.5 on mine”
    I’m now worried as I’m going to llandegla at weekend and this doesn’t fill me with confidence, I’m trying to convince myself I fitted it wrong in the first place like trapping tube under bead or something.
    Has anyone else experienced this
    Should I change tyres or leave it
    It’s back on now fitted very carefully.

jdwafc
    Free Member

Any advice grateful.

richmtb

Mavic XC717 aren’t the tightest rims – I’ve always found it very easy to get tyres on and off compared to other rims.

I’ve blown a tyre off more than once when I haven’t fitted the bead correctly.

Its very likely you’ve done the same.

Ohh and 40-45psi in a 2.25 is a bit much, when I was running tubes mine would be more like 30-35 psi (12 stone)

tommyhine

I had the same issue on a DT swiss 400 rim with ardents.

Happened twice, once when I hopped up a kerb and landed a little sideways and once on the downhill at the singletrack weekeneder.

I stuck a new tube in and really made sure the bead was in properly all the way around and I’ve not had a problem since.

I’m a hefty fella at 19 stone as well so expect this kind of thing to happen but it was fine at the gravity enduro, whinlatter last weekend, cwmcarn, FOD.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that the rim is too narrow. I had no end of trouble with 2.25 Maxxis tyres on 719s but none on flows and arch exs (ok, so they are proper tlr rims). There were plenty of folk who just said “I’ve run 2.5″+ without problems”, but you end up doing it at such pressures as to make running them tubeless completely pointless. There was a good PB article on wide rims and tubeless that seemed to explain what I thought had been going on.

BrickMan

x17’s are a narrow xc duty type rim, 2″ is about the max size you should really have on those
    x19’s about 2.1 or 2.3 from some manufacturers you’ll be fine.
    x21’s allow you to go upto more like 2.4 -2.5

I run 2.4″ fat alberts on mavic 321s and TBH, the rims are just a tad narrow for that size tyre, I’ve rolled the rear one of the rim a few times now (when running less than 25psi)

jdwafc
    Free Member

Cheers all for the replies.

jdwafc
    Free Member

Worked out ok, must have fitted wrong, as it’s been battered around llandegla today as was sound, as for me, not so sound, fitness/skills needed 🙂

Northwind

That officially only ever happens on Stans rims, teh internet says so 😉 Mavic website says 2.1 max but my old rims said 2.3 on the side. Just me being suspicious but I suspect they changed the website to create more gap between it and the 719.

benzi
    Free Member

YOu can get the odd tyre that has a fault, I had a maxxis high roller that was fine to ride on but would just blow off the rim on the trails, I would scratch my head, think maybe I put it on wrong and the same thing would happen again. I worked out that it was the trye but it took me a while to work out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tyre blow-off’ is closed to new replies.