Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tyre advice. Spesh butcher/purgatory
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Basically… I got a good deal on a pair of 2.3 butcher control’s and I already have a pair of the newer 2.3 purgatory control’s on there at the minute.

Riding is all mountain/aggressive xc on a 2010 stumpy elite as much up as down in typical uk muddy conditions.

I’ve read that butcher front purgatory rear is a good combo… In this weather would butcher front and rear be better, putting a purgatory on the back when(or if) it dries up…

Happy enough with the purgatory… There certainly better than the old purg 2.2’s just a little lacking in outright grip at times but they roll fast for the grip… Assuming the butchers will stick better but be harder work up the hills.. Anyone running this combo?

Just to confirm… This is the butcher control 2.3 2 bliss.. Not the dh butcher. And I do run tubeless.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure what the difference is, but I’ve got the 2.2 Purgatorys F+R and really rate them for mixed/muddy conditions (i.e. everything outside of a propper summer).

stevede
    Free Member

I run a butcher front/purgatory rear and its a great combo – on real loose climbs I sometimes wish for something that digs in a bit more than the purg but on the whole I like it a lot as a rear reasonably fast rolling tyre, have thought about a butcher rear too and next winter I’ll prob stick one on.

jameso

What do you like more about the new 2.3 Purgatory? Just interested, as the 2.2s are my fave local mixed/wet conditions tyre at the moment. Size looks about the same despite 2.2>2.3 labels.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

The 2.3’s just seem to grip slightly better and roll slightly faster. Not a world away… But an improvement!
    I’ve mounted the front butcher tonight. Undecided wether to put the other on the rear for a bit or leave the purg on…

jameso

ta.

andyrm
    Free Member

Just put a Butcher control on the front – was running a Minion 2.3 Exxo.

First impressions are that the compound is lots softer and also the volume is nearer a Maxxis 2.5, but weight is actually lower than the Minion, without really sacrificing sidewall thickness.

Only had a very fast blast last night, but seems damn good and lots grippier…..

🙂

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

What do you run in the rear andyrm?

jsync

How much were the butchers?

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Under 50 quid for a pair, 20% off for getting 2 so I thought I’d get the pair even if I decide to keep the purg on the back…

Northwind

Haven’t used the Purg but the Butcher’s a fantastic tyre- just a better Minion, really. Grips not quite as well as a 2.5 Supertacky, especially on hardpack and slimy rock, but clears mud better, rolls like a 2.35 Maxxpro (and Specialized know how to work a ruler, so their 2.3 measures almost bang on 2.3, making it the same size as a “2.5” maxxis)

I’ve been using a pair recently and it’s slower than I like for trailcentre stuff where that much tyre is really just overkill, but it’s well worth it on dh and evil offpiste stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tyre advice. Spesh butcher/purgatory’ is closed to new replies.