Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tyre advice for new boy.please
  • francob80
    Free Member

I know literally zero about tyre choice as just betting back into biking, my new bike is being delivered next week and as standard is fitted with Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.40, I have been told by a few people that they aren’t great.

I’m planning on riding local trails in Gloucestershire, also FoD, Cannock and perhaps BPW. Can someone recommend a decent set to purchase once I’ve ruined the Maxxis Ardent ?

Thanks Mark

stevied
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with an Ardent on the front. Prefer the Minion DHF or High Roller2

z1ppy

My 29x 2.25 ardent is fine for general riding, not the greatest in the slop but fine for most other stuff. No doubt there better tyres out there but for now stop worry about it, and get out and ride (or look forward to it).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    francob80
    Free Member

Thanks both, definitely looking forward to it, just good to know for future reference.

hot_fiat

Ardents – fine for pootling or pinning it. Useless in between. Sadly you can’t get Ignitors in 27.5. High Rollers are still superb for places like BPW.

globalti
    Free Member

Stand back for about 50 different recommendations of tyres, all of which will feel exactly the same to you until you’ve been riding long enough to be able to discriminate. Spend your extra money on some basic tools, some spare inner tubes, helmet, gloves, a decent waterproof, small pump, puncture repair kit, some lights, as well as a saddle pack or a backpack with a drink bladder.

In a nutshell, narrow tyres around 1.6″ will roll a bit faster and cut down better in deep mud or snow whereas fatter tyres will run smoother and with lower ground pressure. Big knobbles will grip better in soft wet conditions but will be very noisy and slow and will wear fast on tarmac whereas multiple small knobbles or just a textured surface will be fine in most conditions and will roll much faster on tarmac.

francob80
    Free Member

Thanks Hotfiat, appreciate your advice.

@globalti – Thanks too, yes I have all of the gear you have suggested, all ready to rock and roll. The final items are just clothing now really. Awesome advice on the tyres too, I think you are right in terms of gaining some experience first and learning for myself.

honourablegeorge

Ardents are decent, but if ground is soft/rooty, something with a bit more bite up front.

If you just want to watch the world burn, then you can probably stick a different brand up front, but otherwise, a Minion Exo up front will pair up nicely with the Ardent out back.

globalti
    Free Member

Probably the best piece of workshop equipment you can own is a track pump. The Topeak Joe Blow is a good all-rounder and will be fine for pumping low pressure off-road tyres and high pressure road bike tyres as the barrel isn’t too fat.

Good clothing at a reasonable price is from dhb, Wiggle’s own brand.

soobalias
    Free Member

just purchased some minion dhfs and ardents.

fs will get a dhf/ardent
    ht will get an ardent with an old advantage on the rear

francob80
    Free Member

Thanks all, I have the Topeak Joe Blow in my favourites as it happens, ready to place order later so good to hear your recommendation Globalti. Will check Wiggle out too.

scaredypants

I agree with hot_fiat, ardents don’t really work at middling lean angles but are good if you get them right over. FOr that reason lots of people don’ like them on the front (me included, for riding where you aren’t cornering at your speed limit they can be pretty loose)

Fine on the back though, I’d say

hot_fiat
    hora
    Free Member

Ardents are fantastic tyres in certain conditions. In Spring, Summer AND Autumn I run a rear Ardent here in the Peaks.

2.25 Ardent rear, 2.24 Maxxis Beaver front. Come winter I’ll add a Beaver rear. Thats all I’ll change.

Heres my setup:

DaveRambo

My advice would be to forget about the tyres and just ride your bike.

If there was a perfect do it all tyre that worked optimally in all conditions then we’d all have them.

You should just ride, IMO.

francob80
    Free Member

Thanks Hora, sound advice. Nice looking bike btw.

@DaveRambo – Agreed mate, as soon the bike arrives I’ll be getting amongst it.

@Hot_fiat- Thanks for the link, will have a browse later.

soobalias
    Free Member

interesting comments on the ardent/front thing.
    now i have to try not to remember any of that when i try them

nick1962
    Free Member

FFS not another brown bike.Grass needs cutting and pick up that Yorkie wrapper
    BTW OP hora changes bikes more than most riders change tyres 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Frames a keeper 8) the colours going though

Euro
    Free Member

FFS not another brown bike

and it’s got them there shitty Pikes on :rolly roll rollerz:

francob80
    Free Member

I didn’t want to comment on the colour but it could do with being brightened up a tad. 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Please try to put the cranks horizontal some of us have standards

v666ern
    Free Member

Thats all I’ll change

😐

thegreatape
    Free Member

hora – Member

Heres my setup:

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You’re old bike looks nice hora, what have you got now?

v666ern
    Free Member

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Frames a keeper I wont own it at Christmas

FTFY

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tyre advice for new boy.please’ is closed to new replies.