Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyre advice for Cotic Escapade
  • selaciosa
    Free Member

Got an Escapade yesterday – it came with Sport Contact 2 tyres. The bikes main use is commuting but I’m probs gonna do a bit of fire road and mud trails along the Mersey around Manchester. Anyone know if these tyres will be up to that? If not, any recommends?

vincienup
    Free Member

You’re going to need to compromise or swap around I think.

My Cotic X runs 700×28 Conti GPS on its oe wheels this time of year, ideal for road/town and usable for fire roads, towpaths etc.

I have a second wheelset (Flow 29ers cheap build on 525 from Merlin) that I run Conti CX Race on which are good for mud and dirt but wear fast on tarmac. If you’ve got the new bolt thru fork, options for bargain wheels are going to be reduced.

Something like Schwalbe CX or CX pros are probably a good all round shout. I liked the old wired Maxxis Razes. Lasted about a year of high mileage and coped well with everything from tarmac to mud to snow and ice. Wired X Kings were the worst tyres I ever fitted to this bike although the folding ones are very different.

A set of half decent cx tyres and raise pressures on road, drop on mud/loose is probably the cheapest solution. I tended to drop my Razes to about 40/60 for offroad and go up to 60/80 or so for tarmac.

1-shed
    Free Member

They should be reet, you may want an other set for when it gets proper muddy but I would ride with what you’ve got for where you are talking about. If you fancy a ride I’m out that way quite often.cheers 1 shed.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got a vaya so similar bike.

always going to be a comprimise between road speed/ off road grip & weight/ puncture protection.

I particulary like scwalbe marathon racers (35) maybe 80 psi for road, 65 off road. not enough grip for mu though though so i have a pair of

small block 8 (35) work surprisingly well in muddy conditions. also a great front tyre with a marathon out back.

got a pair of bontrager CXOs. (38) haven’t ridden them but they are light and fingers crossed a great all rounder – not much puncture protection though.

Continnetal speed ride (42) is a similar tyre with puncture protection. note the 42 has punture protection that the 35 (cyclocros speed) doesn’t.

also of note smart sams: much faster than the nobbly apperence suggests.

ceepers

Clement x’plor mso are quite a good compromise for on/off road rides. Schwalbe wired cx comp are a cheap off road alternative but a bit slower in the road

bigblackshed

I’ve got some Maxxis Raze 32, wire bead. They were a great allround off road tyre. A bit draggy on the road.

For years I used Continental Country Ride 37, for my winter commute. Mainly road with a few muddy offroad patches. I swapped to Continental Contact Sport 32 for the summer. No use what-so-ever off road or in the wet.

Country Rides for the all year mixed commute.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyre advice for Cotic Escapade’ is closed to new replies.