Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Typing speed and accuracy
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have a typing test for a job I am applying for (speed and accuracy). I found a good free website I have been using but I feel I’ve got what I can from it.
    Should I just keep using and trying other websites? Any software or programmes worth downloading?

Cheers

fifeandy
    Free Member
    midlifecrashes

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing used to be the go to software when I taught IT in ITECS. If I can find my boxes of floppies I can send it to you. Seriously though, it works, used to get manual workers and people who had never touched a typewriter up to RSA level 2 standard in a few weeks.

PJ266
    Free Member

That got intense.

Cougar

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

Christ almighty, we used to bundle that when I worked at Time Computers in the early 90s.

leffeboy

still seems things never got much better than that though

is impressed at pj266 skilz

alfabus
    Free Member

got 1941 on my first try – 91.5% accuracy, 49.5 wpm

very very confused by not needing to type a space between words – I think that spoiled my accuracy 🙂

will try again when I don’t have a headache!

ebygomm
    Free Member

I learnt to touch type with Mavis Beacon on an Amiga as a teenager. Think it’s one of the single most useful things I’ve ever learnt.

Could waste hours on that game.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sega Typing of the Dead is fun. Typing in stuff to shoot zombies.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Well ebygomm is a clear winner. My effort is a bit tame by comparison.

Interestingly, I never actually learnt to touch type properly, just kinda learnt to mash keys in roughly the right order through online gaming as a lot of noobs needed telling exactly how bad they were 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

quite difficult that, got 31.3, on first and only try. Guess it’s different trying to read random words and type, usually get faster on these type of tests, 40-50. I’d guess typing what you are thinking is much faster to rather than typing what you are reading.

fifeandy
    Free Member

OK, so who else is attached to a coffee drip this morning after z-typing into the small hours? 😳

~3370, 98%, 38WPM was as good as it got.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Sega Typing of the Dead is fun. Typing in stuff to shoot zombies.

+1

michaelmcc
    Free Member

That first link there has almost made typing fun!!! 😀 Thanks!!

How’d get the screenshot of your score though? Are you using your phones?

mash keys in roughly the right order through online gaming as a lot of noobs needed telling exactly how bad they were

Were you one of those people in internet cafes 8)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Although I feel the WPM is slightly inaccurate because you don’t have to press space after each word? Don’t want to get in the habit of forgetting to press space!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Pretty sure you can press space – game doesn’t penalise you iirc.
    Screenshot with alt+prntscrn then hack image in paint and upload to your favourite free image storage.
    And fairly sure i’d have been thrown out of internet cafe pretty quickly for screaming at my monitor about how if noobs really are human the species is doomed. 😆

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Lol there was lots of shouting back in the day when I used to use the internet cafe in Swansea (before smart phones and laptops etc were mainstream), was always full of teens shouting at the monitors… fueled by energy drink.

This is the other website I have been using fyi http://my.typingtrainer.com/studying

Pretty sure you can press space – game doesn’t penalise you

Only problem there is that I get too keen pressing space and end up missing my final score.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Typing speed and accuracy’ is closed to new replies.