Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Met some friends in a new bar last night for a few pre-gig beers. They were serving a couple of beers from Wild Beer company. Pale ale sounded nice so I said “I’ll have a pint of that please”.

“Ah, we don’t do pints, you can have a half or two thirds.” 😯

I didn’t say “Your hipster **** two **** thirds of a **** pint in a glass with a **** stem can get in the **** sea!” but I wanted to. Instead, I meekly said, “Oh, right, I’ll have two thirds of a pint of that then.” 🙂

andybrad

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In fairness, hipster strength IPA will have you on the floor if you drink pints!

Greene King shite it ain’t.

lcj

Surely ordering two halves would have got you closer to what you wanted?!

Does sound odd though. Wouldn’t go there again!

bigblackshed

Glass with a stem? Tulip glass I think the Hipsters call them. Apparently the beer tastes better out of a tulip glass.

🙄

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

“Toothers” have been around for aaagggeeess, man. Works well for beers that get served cold I sell shed loads of it in the summer. Aussie idea I believe. Proper beer* however is still sold in pints.

*Brown, no fizz.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely ordering two halves would have got you closer to what you wanted?!

Tru dat. My mate had a half of the lager. I didn’t even look at what they gave me for change from a tenner but there were no notes…just a few coins. 😡

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Glass with a stem? Tulip glass I think the Hipsters call them. Apparently the beer tastes better out of a tulip glass.

It does, you want all that dry hop arroma to stay in the glass, not disappear.

‘Pint’ glasses are only the tapered shape they are to trick you into drinking quicker. They look fuller from above than from the side, so you sit there thinking everyone else is drinking quicker than you.

Depends on the bar, if there’s sausage rolls on the bar and the beer comes out of a sparkler tap then it’s probably not going to be of much benefit. A dry hopped and keged beer from a faucet OTOH will.

bikebouy
    Free Member

2/3rds at 5% is enough yah?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Aussies drink “Schooners” – similar sort of measure. Lake District pub/brewery we stayed in did three thirds on a wooden tray so you could try their different brews, I decided 3 pints was a better tasting system 🙂

Gig 🙁 was supposed to see Elvis Costello last night but show cancelled last minute

binners

In my experience the phrase ‘I’m afraid we don’t serve pints sir…” is your cue to turn and run for the hills as fast as your little legs will carry you. It is ALWAYS a precursor to you being bent over and them going in dry

Last time I had this was in a poncey Italian. I was then charged 4 quid for half a ****ing Perroni!!! FOUR ****ING QUID!!! FOR HALF A ****ING LAGER?!!! 8 QUID A ****ING PINT?!!!!! 😯

Its as big a scam as leaving the mud on vegetables, then doubling the price!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

2/3rds at 5% is enough yah?

No cos it’s only 66% of the booze i would be expecting making it effectively 3.4% AKA – Kestrel.

Also Why TF would not want to get pissed from drining beer – That’s the **** point!

jamiep
    Free Member

There’s a pub like that near me. 2/3 costs just under the ‘normal’ price of a pint so it doesn’t seem too expensive but actually is.

As it only serves hipster artisan brands I’d never heard of I asked for “something like Innis & Gunn” (not totally unreasonable – this is Edinburgh and that is a small Edinburgh brewery).
    Instead of my 2/3 pints I received a detailed lecture from the barman on exactly why I&G’s brewing practices where sub-standard

RustySpanner

If this gets north of Deansgate, I’m leaving.

tthew

Aussies drink “Schooners” – similar sort of measure.

Ah, I was wondering that when I saw that measure being offered in a pub bar in Nottingham on Monday night.

Stupid name though, everyone knows a Schooner is a large, 2 masted yacht, with the larger sail at the stern.

I received a detailed lecture from the barman on exactly why I&G’s brewing practices where sub-standard

Not sure I’d have been able to resist calling him an idiot and leaving. Do they also serve artisan Pomme Frites in an old carpet slipper?

Oh and Edinburgh is way north of Deansgate. It’s a pincer movement!

rOcKeTdOg

they do those fancy glasses here http://www.purecraftbars.com/birmingham/ thankfully the beer is good though and most of it locally brewed. and they don’t …ahem police too hard the fact that many of the receptacles leave by the front door never to return
    beer list http://www.purecraftbars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BEER-LIST.pdf

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Which pubs that jamiep? So I don’t go there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As it only serves hipster artisan brands I’d never heard of I asked for “something like Innis & Gunn” (not totally unreasonable – this is Edinburgh and that is a small Edinburgh brewery).
    Instead of my 2/3 pints I received a detailed lecture from the barman on exactly why I&G’s brewing practices where sub-standard

Ohhh come on. They don’t even brew. That’s like calling Brant a frame builder in the same vein as Shand or Ben/Kinetic.

They buy in Tennants, stick it in oak barrels* and sell it to supermarkets.

*not even sure they do that anymore, I think they have some sort of pressurized vessel that ‘oaks’ the beer quicker.

binners

Not sure I’d have been able to resist calling him an idiot and leaving. Do they also serve artisan Pomme Frites in an old carpet slipper?

Pfft! Coal shovels are where its at nowadays….

jamiep
    Free Member

wwpaddler

Which pubs that jamiep? So I don’t go there.

The Hanging Bat on Lothian Road. Beer was nice, but I wasn’t paying for a lecture from a man in a waxed beard

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Different strokes for different folks . However anyone that says get in the sea should indeed get in the sea

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah yeah, food and drink that comes with a story to justify a massive mark-up, they can mug someone else off with that.

I thought Hipsters were all dead now anyway? Spent 2 days roaming around London this week, not a single top knot or over elaborate beard to be seen!

Yak

no fried egg or black pudding? I’m out – coal shovel or not..

I’m so far away from the bar scene that I had no idea that proper beers were coming in stemmed glasses now. Thought that was the preserve of Belgian beers only.

Anyway – bring back the dimpled pint jug – you know, more stable, and fits your hand nicely.

ads678

The Schooner thing in Aus is good because it can be really freackin hot so drinking out of smaller glasses is good for keeping the beer cool. But the glass is not too small so you still keep that manly edge.

Drinking real ale in the uk does not require a smaller than a pint glass, unless tasting. Christ they even brought out bigger glasses a few years ago so you don’t have to moan at the busty whench for giving you too much head!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Couldn’t you have asked for 2 halves in one glass, darce?
    Where was it? (not that I ever get the chance to visit trendy townie bars, being a yokel from south glos and all 😉 )

NewRetroTom

Tinas – agreed – Innis & Gunn is just a marketing company, not a brewery.

Del

place like that near us serving american ‘belgian style IPA’ ( whatever TF that is ). pint price for 2/3 the volume. GTF.

Northwind

Don’t really understand the point of half pints + 2/3ds, that’s only 90ml difference.

traildog
    Free Member

This is cropping up all over the place. It means you are charged as much as a pint, but don’t get as much. Also, if you fancy slowing down and drinking halfs you cannot because they wont do them. It’s a complete con.

fin25
    Free Member

Went in a Brewdog once, asked for an IPA, barman said they have 4 on tap, 5 in bottles, started talking about them like they were paintings in the Louvre. At this point I told him I was already half cut, so give me the cheapest one, as I wouldn’t taste it anyway. Little prick carries on smiling and going through the marketing script at me. Took me 10 minutes to get a pint of over-refrigerated, over-hopped hipster alco-pop (Alco-hops?). Cost about £5.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sounds like a double dunter is the only viable option here.

Though you’d have been well within your right to petrols bomb the place. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

. I didn’t even look at what they gave me for change

How the other half live!

bikebouy
    Free Member

You lot, if it in’t Brarn un as Un Ed on it, it ain’t beer isyit.. 🙄

Some Craft Brewers, most I’d say have it correct. Brew own ales, take time and care over it, instil some bloody skill in the mix, use local ingredients and if you can (most can’t seem to which is annoying) go Organic and sell it in 1/2 or 2/3rd’s or 1 full pint, or plastic takeaway if you like. You also will get charged for it, and quite right too. Craftsmen are indeed worthy of spending good money on good quality ale.

But it has to be real ale, it has to taste good because thats the whole bloody point. ABV’ is a blunt instrument of taste, be it 3% or 6% or whatever, the flavour is totally where its at.

If you drink froth from Burton on Trent then you have to accept your comments aren’t really worth considering now are they….

binners

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO …. hark at ‘im!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

american ‘belgian style IPA’ ( whatever TF that is )

American – source of the ingredients, they use a different base malt to Europe. Usually US 2-row barley rather than Maris Otter (most of England) or Golden Promise (Northern England and Scotland) and the hops are usually citrus, high in mycrenes and high in alpha acids.

Belgian – yeasts give flavors including banana, vanilla, apple and cloves.

IPA – it’s been dry hopped, a lot, in this case with american hops.

footflaps

CaptainFlashheart

How the other half live!

You are the other half!

binners

He’s two halves…

in a pint glass

mrlebowski
    Free Member

If I get served breakfast on a fing coal shovel, said server will end up wearing said coal shovel…..

WHAT’S WRONG WITH A PLATE?!

👿 👿 👿

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

In Oz we have halves (middy’s) schooners (3/4 pint) and and pints.

No idea when the word schooner came into it. I remember my nan drinking schooners of sherry. Why we need three standards for beer now, is beyond me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Two thirds of a pint? Say what now?’ is closed to new replies.