Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Two Swinley Forest questions
  • molgrips
    Free Member

1. Is it possible to gain access to the forest from the A30 to the South? I am now staying in Farnborough rather than Bracknell…

2. Would you locals recommend something fast rolling like a Racing Ralph or Kenda Small block 8 year-round? I am thinking I'll be riding some road as well as the forest.

Robespierre
    Free Member

You can get to Swinley from the A30 to the South, but its only really worth it if you are riding from Farnborough…its only an extra 15 minutes drive. If you look on google earth you will see an estate on the A30 between Bagshot and Camberley…firestation and school directly on the main road itself. You should be able to see a short tarmac road leading north from the estate to a big TV mast. Directly to the north of the mast there is a disused motocross track with a barbed wire fence along the top of it. Go through the fence (its often been cut at an obvious point)and you're into Swinley. Good luck.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1) Yes. But you need to know where, and there's better riding around Farnborough than in Swinley, and more of it. Give me a shout if you fancy hooking up sometime or go to http://www.tunnelhilltrolls.co.uk, the local forum. Tuesdays and Thursdays are night rides, but there's always somebody riding somewhere. 🙂

2) Swinley gets a bit claggy in winter as it gets churned up by hundreds of riders, so no, you'll need some mud rubber. Bonty Mud Xs are the best round here, Trailrakers are a bit OTT.

Seriously, give me a shout. When are you gonna be here?
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm here now 🙂 Well – working at CSC now and staying at the Aviator in Fborough for now.. trying to get an appartment so I can leave my bike here.

I've been round Caesar's camp this week which is ok – gives me some loops for training but it's a bit weird for general riding. Swinley was better.

I'm riding tomorrow night as it happens. I'm supposed to be training Monday, Tuesday and Thursday – of course the problem with training is that you have to do it at a certain pace which makes group riding tough – but I do need to recce so a social would be perfect.. when you available?

Robespierre
    Free Member

The last comment is right: Tunnel Hill and Porridge Pot are better places to ride than Swinley and far more accessible from where you are. I'm an expat Southerner but I've done some rides with the trolls and they were good. Cos I'm a now a northerner I turn up with 2.35 minions…I'm slow anyway so it doesn't matter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the good thing about Swinley is that it's quite flat which makes sustained riding at your selected pace nice and easy. But I'll definitely check out the other places – I'm sure I've done a Gorrick or two there anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've been round Caesar's camp this week which is ok – gives me some loops for training but it's a bit weird for general riding. Swinley was better

There is some good stuff round Caesars Camp, but you need to know where it is. It is an odd place yes. Just one big hill to go up and down in lots of places! From there you can take a 98% off road route into the back of Farnborough. Starting from Farnborough there's Tunnel/Frith/Porrigepot hills which all link together, and you can go to Swinley from there if you like. Then there's Minley, Hawley Woods, Yately Heath, Ash Ranges and probably more. We did a 55 mile overnight loop the other week going through most of those areas, with hardly any road, and not touching most of the trails in each area on our way through.

Let me see if there's a Thursday night ride happening this week……..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, Thursday this week our lot are going from Deepcut to ride Frith and Porrigepot Hills. It's usually a smallish group (Under 10 riders) on Thursdays. It won't be mega-quick, but it won't be slow either. It's always meet at 7pm, ride 7.15 sharp, finish 9.30 ish…
    Interested?

cinnamon_girl

molgrips – you can access Swinley from the A30 at Kings Ride, Camberley. This is at the traffic lights opposite the VW showroom/garage. You will come in on the RMA side but it is public access.

Alternatively go towards Bagshot on the A30 and turn off at Yaverlands Drive which leads to Vicarage Road. You will effectively be close to Labyrinth/Deer Stalker.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I'll tag along, PP, cheers 🙂 Let me know the secret rendevous co-ords…

CG – I've done that route you showed me about 5 or 6 times 🙂 I was getting so lost in that lot, esp in the dark, so I thought I'd just ride the loop until I started to recognise places!

cinnamon_girl

You will definitely have a good time with the Trolls, there's an incredible amount of trails over that way as Mr Poddy says.

Hopefully you have now got your bearings at Swinley!

If you do access Swinley from the RMA side, be aware that soldiers may be on exercise although in the dark it could be "interesting". There are public bridleways across that side.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Molgrips, YGM on your profile address
    🙂

Let me know if you want more info.

allthepies
    Free Member

>and staying at the Aviator in Fborough for now.

😯 What's the daily rate at that place ?

molgrips
    Free Member

For four nights it's £140/night. I'm crapping myself about it actually because everywhere else nearby was either full or had crap reviews, so I ended up going for it. It's not a lot more than I've paid at other approved places.. but I've had absolutely no guidance whatsoever from my employers so what the hell.

It's a bloody nice place tho 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Two Swinley Forest questions’ is closed to new replies.