Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • two sets of wheels on road bike, gears
  • jonba
    Free Member

I’ve bought a second set of wheels. I was hoping to just be able to switch but when I do the gears are out and I need to adjust them to get them to work. Is this common as many people run two sets of wheels and this must be a right faff.

Shimano hub to hope hub, 10spd.

I assume there are subtle difference in the specs of the hubs which cause this (particularly as they both use a a spacer). I there an easy way to get them so they don’t need adjusting? Would make life easier.

scotroutes

Get the same hub on each – or find out just how much difference there is and put a thin shim/spacer behind one of the cassettes to even it out.

meeeee
    Free Member

i have this when i swap wheels on the road bike.

I guess there may be a way round it as the pro teams seem to manage ok when they puncture and have to put a new wheel in, or maybe they do a quick bit of adjustment on the road with an inline cable adjuster? (which is what i do when i swap wheels, but still a slight hassle)

jonba
    Free Member

Figured it out, it was messing with the high and low stops too which is what seemed odd..

Basically this is my third set of wheels. The bike originally came with mavic aksiums. I swapped over to some RS80s a year ago – cassette spacer and all. Just bought some tougher wheels based on hope hubs for training and some longer holidays I have planned. I also bought a new cassette.

The mavic spacers are 1.75mm and the standard shimano ones are 1mm. So my RS80s were running on the original 1.75mm spacer and my new wheels the 1mm spacer. Didn’t have anymore 1mm ones but did have a 1.75 in the bits box. My wheels will now be compatible with each other but no one elses until I can get a 1mm spacer.

I assume the 1.75mm spacer will be fine for now as I’ve run it for a thousand odd miles so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘two sets of wheels on road bike, gears’ is closed to new replies.