Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Two ripped tyres in 2 weeks?
  • bubs

Hello,
    In 15 years of local riding I have never ripped a tyre (only when I have gone to proper mountains with proper rocks).
    I have now ripped holes in my back tyre on each of my last two outings. Front tyre on one of these too.
    What is going on? Same tyre type, same bike, “Surrey hills” terrain so not overly rocky, only change has been to my stem rise (now lowered) and the size of my front tyre (now bigger).

Only thing I can think of is that I may now riding faster/harder or I have just been unlucky. Tyres are nobby nics and so not the most robust but they used to be ok.

rickon
    Free Member

Luck. Thats it. Eventually if you ride enough youll slice a tyre. Maybe you won’t do one for another 15 years, maybe you’ll do one tomorrow. No one knows….

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

What Rickon said.
    I had my old Rocket Ron on the front for over a year, but it’s replacement lasted less than a week (and then a week later I ripped the sidewall on my rear tyre too.)
    Sod’s law/shiz happens!

bubs

Fair enough, better home than away I guess.

scaredypants

IME, it’s good luck that a NN has lasted that long – but then it’s flinty where I ride, dunno about surrey hills

ScottChegg
    Free Member

As above, luck.

I live about 2 miles from Crag Quarry. I generally pass by and have a lap at least once a week.

In June I gashed 3 tyres on 3 subsequent visits. Each time I was told by other riders that it was the type of stones; it kills tyres.

Nothing since. Weird.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s the same as getting a puncture first ride out on your super-duper, puncture-resistant new tyres. If you get 1 in 10000 miles it’s as likely to be the first mile as the last.

Annoying though innit? I got precisely one ride out of a brand new Panaracer XC pro a couple of years ago when it got a rip in the sidewall.

njee20
    Free Member

I got 6 seconds out of a Rocket Ron a couple of years ago. Fitted new for a race, got caught up in a crash off the start line, ripped tyre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Two ripped tyres in 2 weeks?’ is closed to new replies.