Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Two more bike magazines are gone
  • johnnystorm

Afraid to say that I hadn’t heard of either!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Digital only doesn’t seem to work. Ask Factory…

jwt
    Free Member

It does seem print can work, at least for some?

trail_rat
    Free Member

those were magazines ?

I’ve not heard of either

Dave
    Free Member

Digital only doesn’t seem to work.

http://www.eskapee.com

http://radventure.cc

Digital works if you’re creating something different rather than becoming another outlet for the same news and videos.

GregMay
    Free Member

Digital only works if you enjoy consuming things in a digital format. I don’t particulairly. Possibly a cultural/age thing. I have no interest in purchasing digital only content. Wasn’t aware of either of the magazines, or either of those digital formats either.

Sad to see people who we’re doing something they enjoyed moving from a format they hopefully enjoyed too.

Dave
    Free Member

The media landscape is changing, there’s nothing to purchase with the digital examples above – it’s free content. Though it seems there’s likely to be a crossover into print but not in the monthly mag format. A good example is

https://misspentsummers.com

100mph
    Free Member

Decline was the Nth American equivalent of Dirt magazine, more gravity orientated.

Surprised that’s gone as it was full of Ad’s, I stopped buying it as got fed up of going through 10 pages of Ads Btw actual articles!!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m 100% digital books for normal books.

Magazines need to be printed in my opinion.

convert

I’m 100% digital books for normal books.

Magazines need to be printed in my opinion.

This is me too. Odd isn’t it. I have weaned myself off the feel and smell of a novel and can still enjoy the content but can’t get even vaguely excited about magazine content electronically.

JackHammer

That’s sad news.

I have the digital sub to singletrack.

I originally used to read it on my android phone, but since I got an iPad i’ve been reading it on there and omg it’s so much nicer to read off than the android phone. Not just because the screen is bigger, but the way the application works, the transition between pages and the built in features (videos, photos etc) is so much nicer and smoother and cleaner.

I prefer the digi sub to a paper magazine now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m trying to wean my self off books and onto a Kindle….But it’s just not the same.

I want to like the Kindle- paper white but as much as I try I get fed up reading it. It hurts my eyes even with the font in large. I also have a tendancy to flick back and forth between books on the Kindle where as I’ll stick with a paper book as I tend not to have the option to flick.

How ever I need to stop with the books as we get through a silly amount in our house. Wife’s gone 100% Kindle for her books.

buckster
    Free Member

Decline was the Nth American equivalent of Dirt magazine, more gravity orientated.

Surprised that’s gone as it was full of Ad’s, I stopped buying it as got fed up of going through 10 pages of Ads Btw actual articles!!

That was/is why I quite like digital, because the ads move. Its fun to watch videos embedded in a magazine – for me anyway. Decline is quite a good read IMHO. e.g. the Polygon/Suntour article

jameso

Digital only works if you enjoy consuming things in a digital format. I don’t particulairly. Possibly a cultural/age thing. I have no interest in purchasing digital only content.

Agreed. In this area screens are mostly for quick-hit visual snacks or a coffee break read. I’ll subscribe to a well presented mag that has variety and content that interests me but the same quality of image and writing doesn’t come across as well on screen, to me. I imagine it’s a big ask to get a subs mag working, requires a subscriber to have trust in editorial values or quality. Sidetracked gets my £ though so it can work, and I rarely bother reading articles of the same quality on their site.

finbar
    Free Member

How ever I need to stop with the books as we get through a silly amount in our house. Wife’s gone 100% Kindle for her books.

Library? My local one is ace so I’ve scarcely bought myself a book in years.

convert

Library? My local one is ace so I’ve scarcely bought myself a book in years.

Sadly ours is only opens Mon-Fri and only during normal ‘office’ working hours. Even closes for lunch which is handy. Only good for the old and the non working now.

finbar
    Free Member

Shame, that is pretty dire. Mine is about five minutes from my office, so I go in my lunchbreak – when fortunately this one is open.

convert

It’s not good. It was going to be closed completely but got saved because they made the paid employees redundant and drafted in some unpaid volunteers. They are from the OAP demographic and think they have prioritised keeping it open for other oaps. Better than nowt but can only be a matter of time before it closes completely.

antennae
    Free Member

It’s a shame international print subscriptions to Spoke (NZ) are so pricey, because that’s a great mag. Digital version is available though:

https://spokemagazine.com/

Just noticed my other favourite, Ride Journal, has gone on an “indefinite break” 🙁

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Two more bike magazines are gone’ is closed to new replies.