Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Two days of the booze… can you do it ?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I packed in on the 2 Jan 2011. Nearly went for some wine the other night.. resisted. but I’m beginning not to miss it 🙂

My home measures were getting a bit Epic!.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan/09/mps-alcohol-drinking-guidelines

debaser

oh, off the booze…

in that case, probably not 😀

momo

Easily, don’t tend to drink more than 3 or 4 nights a week anyway, and it’s normally just a glass or two of wine.

redthunder
    Free Member

Grammar 🙁 Kill me now. Worse than Units 🙂

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i don’t drink more then 3-4 nights a month, just does’nt bother me, i have the occasional bottle of cider.

redthunder
    Free Member

There was a bloke on Radio Bristol earlier today who was drinking 14 litres of cider a day 😯

wors

i packed in for a bit on the 2nd jan too. So far so good, i was drinking loads up until xmas. I thought it would be pretty tough but it hasn’t bothered me in the slightest. Big test at the end of the month, wifes boss is throwing a party for his 50th, free bar!!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

There was a bloke on Radio Bristol earlier today who was drinking 14 litres of cider a day

Jebus

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Until Christmas eve I hadn’t drank since probably August.

Simply can’t be bothered if I’m not getting drunk.

Garry_Lager

I’m on a dry January which I tend to do most years just to take stock of the boozing. Actually find it easy given how I’ve tanned the bevvy over christmas, a break feels necessary.
    It’s hard finding an equilibrium point with the ale, for sure. 2 Dry days a week might be good advice for some, others might see it as 2 off 5 full-on. End of the day the government can only issue the most crude of guidelines for something like this, most of us don’t need to hear a statement of policy to know if we’re drinking too much.

DezB
    Free Member

There was a bloke on Radio Bristol earlier today who was drinking 14 litres of cider a day
    Jebus

That moron was just on telly. another burdon on the nhs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I only usually drink one day a week nowadays – tend to have a bucketful and then not want anymore for a while

Pook

Yes. Quite easily – not really fancied any for the past week or so really.

nealglover
    Free Member

I drink 3 times a month on average I reckon ?

Between 1990 and 2000 I lived in ski resorts and summer resorts and would drink every day, and a fair bit too.

I reckon I’ve got it out of my system, and I’m just not bothered about drinking most of the time now :mrgreen:

Hohum
    Free Member

I used to be 5+ nights per week on the booze and for the last 3 or 4 months I have been 5+ nights off the booze.

Feel much better for it to be honest as these days I seem to suffer from these horrible creeping hangovers that get slowly worse during the day and it’s no longer the case of just a sore head it’s a sore head plus upset guts 🙁

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I only tend to drink 2 or 3 days a week anyway, so having 2 days off is fine. I’ll have wine with dinner over the weekend and a few pints in the evening over the weekend, but generally during the week it’s not touched. Plus I’ve got my penultimate set of student exams at the moment and there’ll be no booze until they’re finished with.

CountZero

Generally I only drink two nights a week, Friday and Saturday, and then only two pints. During the warmer months I might go for an evening or Sunday ride and have a pint or two, but not much more. Frankly, I can’t afford to go and drink much more, even if I wanted to. I have got a few bottles in, but only drink one an evening or so. When they’re gone, I won’t have any more until next month.

prezet
    Free Member

Very rarely get drunk, just can’t stand hangovers – occasionally have a beer or something in the evening while watching the box.

Can’t see how people can afford to drink lots. Some people say they do a bottle of wine a night. No way I could afford that kind of habit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have a couple on Friday and Saturday nights, and avoid the rest of the week.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Drink doesn’t fit into my life in general. Occasionally have a glass of wine at the weekend if I get chance but on an average month I might have 2-3 pints, usually Friday lunch with the work friends. Can’t imagine having to think about taking a number of days OFF the booze, in fact I find that quite shocking.

hels
    Free Member

I don’t think I have ever drunk every day, even when I was a student. It’s terrifying to think the government has to tell people not to drink every day. I guess this is like the “one a day” policy for fruit and veg consumption in Scotland, a realistic and achievable target from which to improve.

Ringo
    Free Member

i drink 2 or 3 times a day sometimes more

bikebouy
    Free Member

I drink to remember these days…

Can go minutes without thinking of the tender juicy, aromatic, elegant dribble of coffee…(espresso only that is)

Wine, well yes I do whine a lot.

Seriously I can go without beer, wine I like so a bottle every couple of weeks shared is fine, pub visits are few and far between but we’ve a lovely restaurant that just calls out for wine with the meal.

Not that bothered actually which means I’m the right side of caring what other people think.

Hadge
    Free Member

Easily

skiboy
    Free Member

I’ve had 1 small tumbler of 30% proof Lemoncello since 28th December, but then again on the 28th i did go round the ‘Poles’ house for a polish christmas meal and drink, 3 bottles of 40% polish Vod between 3 of us !! (you can do the math) and the late evening spent with the head in the bowl and i no longer felt like drinking,

apparently I ‘drink like man’ and have had many polish hugs since, they were also sick, apparently this is good, as is collapsing in a heap on the floor unconscious, which one of them did and i did not,( too busy being sick)

i should add I’m 15 yrs older than them.

anyway my normal drinking routine is around 1-2 glasses of vino a week and or maybe 2 small beers,

couple of days off is normal for me

NOTE:

NEVER EXCEPT A DRINK WITH POLISH PEOPLE IN THEIR HOME ON THEIR TERMS. EVER.

Northwind

I think I’m officially a binge drinker, since I only drink about 6 times a year and when I do, I get a bit pissed. So this new policy confuses me.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Does anyone else find they get really depressed after drinking? Not just a hangover, but really dark thoughts and a flat grey outlook?

grantway
    Free Member

Yep very rarely drink at home
    But then again I’ve just cooked the pork chops in Port

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I think I’m officially a binge drinker

Well you are a Scot 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Does anyone else find they get really depressed after drinking?

I get depressed when buying, a bottle of wine that used to cost me 3-4,00€ costs somewhere between 7-10,00 GBP!!! 😯

Northwind

grantway – Member

Well you are a Scot

Racist 🙁 I’m multi-ethnic, I only really drink cider and Jamesons.

Squidlord
    Free Member

dark thoughts and a flat grey outlook

Yes, but that’s how I feel before drinking also. And often during. OTOH, I spent all of November “dry” and it was very easy.

I’d find it very hard. Drink every night – on 2nd pint now and have a bottle of wine for later. Half a bottle of scotch in an evening isn’t a problem and on a Sunday me and the Mrs can easily do a few beers, 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of scotch. We both realise we drink too much and have vowed to sort it. Saying that, I can go an evening with just one or two, but nothing is hard.

Oh, I smoke 20 a day, am 40 years old and the only one one here it seems who can do 50 push ups no problem :s

miketually
    Free Member

I can easily get into the habit of having a beer or a glass of wine every night, but very rarely go above the old weekly limit (21 units?) or the new daily limit (3-4 units?).

There would be a lot of weeks where I don’t have a clear two days, so this advice could be useful to some. I wouldn’t struggle with it though.

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    grantway – Member
    Well you are a Scot

Racist I’m multi-ethnic, I only really drink cider and Jamesons.

😉

miketually
    Free Member

Oh, I smoke 20 a day, am 40 years old and the only one one here it seems who can do 50 push ups no problem :s

A pint glass weighs just over a pound when full. You’re doing a lot of bicep curls, so have strong arms.

Seriously, that’s an awful lot of drink…

rewski
    Free Member

Home measures are the issue for me, my whiskey macs have become a long drink. Going to have a dry week, honest.

nonk
    Free Member

i agree with coffeeking.

the idea that people need to be told you need to take a couple of days off the booze a week is a bit of a shocker.

miketually
    Free Member

the idea that people need to be told you need to take a couple of days off the booze a week is a bit of a shocker

Why? One nice cold beer or a relaxing glass of wine after the kids are in bed was well within the previous safe limits/guidelines. They’re just revising that in light of more evidence/understanding.

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Two days of the booze… can you do it ?’ is closed to new replies.