Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Two days in Peak District – where and what?
  • alanwales
    Free Member

Hi Folks
    Looking to spend 2 days in Peak District at end of June.
    Cam anybody advise on the best area to stay – the best routes to ride from there – and even where we could hire a couple of Orange 5s (or similar) to give our 100mm XCers the weekend off?
    I’ve done some googling as a start point and Jacob’s Ladder sounds intriguing.
    Much obliged
    Alan

whisky711
    Free Member

For two days I’d base myself in Edale and ride the Hollins Cross/Rushup/Roych Clough/Jacob’s Ladder route one day and then Jaggers Clough/Beast/Ladybower/Whinstone Lee Tor the next day. The route on the 2nd day you can add to and take off trails for tired/energetic legs.

jekkyl

The best value for money would be to stay at one of the many youth hostels, cheap clean accommodation usually in lovely old buildings and always friendly people about. For riding how one dark and one white. Do a route out of edale or hope including the beast and ladybower. And the other day either the linacre classic or the 5 dales route, which passes through Youlgreave, which has a lovely youth hostel and a couple of pubs within walking distance. Youlgreave is also close to the honeypot of bakewell as well, which also could be the start of many a MTB ride.

Duggan

I might be wrong about this but I couldn’t find anywhere obvious to hire a ‘proper’ mountain bike in the peak district last time I looked- I was looking for a mate but couldn’t turn anything up on the internet, I’m sure others on here may know better though. Have to say, I thought it would be easy to do.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would do as Whisky711 suggested but add in Cavedale on day 1. There are a few hostels in the area. If you need a free guide for day 1 then I would be happy to offer my services if I’m available.

Pook

James at the Bike Garage hires proper bike iirc

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s a massive variety of stuff in the Peak, depends what you’re after. I remember riding with a couple once who described a track from a guide book as being utterly stupid and dangerous. So much so that it shouldn’t even be in the book. They were very vocal about it being unrideable. When we got bear it, it transpires that they were talking about the beast. However, I know lots of people who ride it, love it, and don’t believe it’s worthy of such a silly name.

My point is, if you’ve got two days for an intro to the Peak, people suggesting the beast or cave dale could either make or break your trip. There’s some lovely stuff in the white Peak which will be in season by then which is also worth considering.

Drop me a message if you want to discuss your needs in detail.

whisky711
    Free Member

That’s why I put the Beast on the 2nd day. 😉

jekkyl

The beast is the quintessential peaks track, plus it’s a very challenging and entertaining descent, it should be included!

whisky711
    Free Member

I concur. Ride it before the council tarmac it! 😯

nickdavies

whisky711 has good suggestions if you’re thinking dark peak, both good overall routes as a starting point in the peaks. Without knowing your skill/fitness level/what bike you’ll end up riding some of it (cavedale, beast, jacobs) might push you but you can always walk down if you get out of your depth, nothing is unrideable hard.

This route comprises bits of both with a start at the edale car park if you want something to help plan a GPS route: https://www.strava.com/activities/217456046

Order yourself a copy of the vertebrate publishing guidebook and mooch at the maps and routes in there to get a better idea.

For more XC the white peak can be better depending on weather – the 5 Dales route is a classic with a bit of everything. Needs to be nice and dry though for the best. Dark peak holds up better if we have a wet June.

alanwales
    Free Member

Thanks lads
    That’s a great help. I’ll do a bit more research and get back to you.
    Cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would have suggested exactly as a Whisky with the Cavedale descent too as suggested by frosty (after climb to Mar Tor drop to Limestone Way and the Cavedale, re climb the landslipped road to Mam Tor and the Rushup Edge

Eadle is very central but perhaps too quite, perhaps stay in Hope and make sure to visit 18 Bikes

MadBillMcMad

did this yesterday https://www.strava.com/activities/311407877

Includes Cavedale, up the beast(ish), fab ride

37km of excellent riding.

18bikes in Hope will give you some pointers.
    No orange 5s but a really nice cotic 29er dressed up as a 29+ which I believe is for demo.

benman
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the need to hire a big bike – all the popular trails in the peak are rideable on a 100mm XC bike (FS or HT).

scandal42
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the need to hire a big bike – all the popular trails in the peak are rideable on a 100mm XC bike (FS or HT).

Rideable yes, enjoyable on a 100mm xc whippet, well that depends on the trail and how you like to ride.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Two days in Peak District – where and what?’ is closed to new replies.