Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Two day (road) riding break within a couple of hours of Derby?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Mate and I thinking of a weekend away in October, leave Derby early Saturday, get somewhere within 2 hours, get a decent ride in, stay in a pub/hotel near pub, another ride next day and then come home.

Needs bike friendly accomodation, decent pub, decent food, decent riding. Thinking Yorkshire, Shropshire, Rutland as possibilities.

Any ideas/local knowledge appreciated.

kcr
    Free Member

I’m just back from riding an Audax that started in Richmond, N.Yorks, and I think the Dales might fit your requirements. There are miles and miles of quiet cycling roads, great scenery and some challenging climbs (Fleet Moss is worth a visit). Lots of nice wee towns with accommodation and pubs. I stayed in the Wyvill Arms (good food) which was out in the country, but Richmond and Hawes looked nice.
    Lots and lots of cyclists out on the roads.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers, we were thinking that way as an option.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Wolds.

Rolling hills, quiet roads, villages, pubs, etc.

Spud

North Wales? Betws is 2.5 hours away and Welsh tarmac is always nice and smooth I find. Some great routes out of Betws and a good pub too.

MoreCashThanDash

We seem to be heading for a dirt cheap Travelodge deal just up past Chester. One day on the coastal roads, one in the mountains. October in Wales, what could go wrong?

jerrys
    Free Member

I’d do the Yorkshire Wolds Cycling route.

150 mile circular route around East Yorkshire.

I might be slightly biased as I grew up around there though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d do the Yorkshire Wolds Cycling route.

150 mile circular route around East Yorkshire.

This ^ it’s excellent.

or Raphas Tour of Yorkshire and just do the 2 days, York to Helmsley via NYM westerly route, Helmsley back to York via easterly route.

MoreCashThanDash

Any ideas for (cheap) accommodation for that Wolds route? And pubs, and cafes…..

jerrys
    Free Member

There’s a bunkhouse in Nafferton (my home village). Naff also has 4 pubs and a fish and chip shop (not always open). It is also on the Way of the Roses route.
    Haven’t been there for a few years so can’t vouch for the pubs. good pubs in Thixendale, Pocklington – the Wolds cycle route goes through about 47 villages so lots of pubs.

butcher

Yorkshire Dales is nice. Great scenery. Roads aren’t too challenging, but some tasty climbs.

North Pennines a little further up. Very little else there, but fantastically quiet open roads, and loads of climbing and long descents to be had.

Lake District has stunning views and some challenging riding, but personally I found the traffic a bit annoying. Even on the quiet singletrack lanes.

Not been as far as the Wolds myself. I dare say most places North of leeds are pretty decent.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Shropshire Hills?
    Stunning countryside, some amazing proper ale (if you’re into that sort of thing)
    Happy to show you a route or two if that helps?
    Pretty quiet around here as well now the schools have gone back

jerrys
    Free Member

wolds link

Link to Wolds stuff

andyfla
    Free Member

and my invitation is where ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Seems odd to drive away from Derby when theres so much on the doorstep. Could you not park there and head north towards Ashbourne and the Peak District? Pootle off into the bumps up Buxton way, stay over then head back the following day? You could take in all sorts of riding and should you need a flat’ish route you could do worse than head east through Rolleston on Dove, then up to Ashbourne through the lanes, pick up the Tissington Trail into the Peaks, stay over in Bakewell or a village around there.. following day head east and back to Derby through the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire borders/forests and back to Derby.

I used to do a route similar for training when my Mum lived in Rolleston…

TomB

Yorkshire dales cycle way-130 tough miles, circular route, split across 2 days, would be great, although exposed if weather is poor.

MoreCashThanDash

We ride the Peaks from the doorstep, just fancy somewhere new.

Andyfla – jealous internet bankingstalkers not invited…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, ok I see..

Yorks it is then.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have family with a holiday cottage in Askrigg, near Hawes. I can dig out details if you want. Some fab riding up there. I got my fastest ever time on a road bike coming down Fleet Moss but have not yet ventured up it, but there’s a load of genuinely quiet lanes to keep you busy. Even the famous climbs like Buttertubs are pretty devoid of traffic. I bloody love the Yorkshire Dales, although you’d have to be going some to get there in 2 hours.

andyfla
    Free Member

Fine Cash, be like that then ……

Is there a flounce enoji ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Two day (road) riding break within a couple of hours of Derby?’ is closed to new replies.