Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Two bikes into one?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’m going to uni next year so I wont have much time over the next 3/4 years to ride my bikes. I could only take one bike maximum with me so I was thinking about selling both my trail bike (Stumpy) and my DH bike (Glory) both custom builds and getting something like a Yeti SB66 with a air and coil shock. I dont really want to keep both my bikes sat in the shed barely used for 4 years and watch the money fall off them – They’re both under 2 years old ATM. Has anyone done this – If so how did it go, advantages and disadvantages? Oh, and what bike did you go for.

tomhoward

I tried to consolidate a hardtail and a dh bike into one fs bike last year.

I now have 3 bikes :-S

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where are you going to Uni?

Sell both and get a bmx or a roadie?

shifter
    Free Member

An SB66 at uni?! Sell both and buy a cheap do-it-all rufty tufty hardtail that you wouldn’t be too upset about losing.

Rosss
    Free Member

Hopefully Newport so plenty of decent trail and DH riding on the doorstep. I will get a cheapo hack for getting around and fitness however I am happy to take a decent do it all bike that will be locked up in my bedroom and taken home when I’m not there.

faz083
    Free Member

I’d personally sell up entirely and let yourself be £3000 less in debt by the end of uni. But then, £3000 is a drop in the ocean from the £50000 debt you’ll be leaving with 🙂

daveagiles
    Free Member

You will have loads of time to ride. Keep them both and make the most of it!

daveh
    Free Member

Won’t have much time? Times must have changed! 25hrs max contact time and that’s for the hard courses. Where are you going? You won’t have a nice bike for long if it’s any of the big city ones, get something old, battered but fun.

kayak23

I think you have the right idea. A 160mm bike will do most stuff. I’d still get something a little low key if I was going to be taking it home in student areas etc.

chilled76
    Free Member

It’s been said already… But you will have loads if time to ride (unlessnyou are doing medicine). Riding clubs at uni are massive, go seek them out in Freshers week and you will meet loads of like minded students. Uni is a blast for spare time compared to life afterwards, make the most of it and take both with you!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No point taking a decent bike to uni, it’ll get nicked, I can guarantee it. A few hundred quid shed will not keep a few grands worth of bike secure, no matter how many locks you put on it. When Iwas at uni I had a crappy old hack that was locked up with a shackle and two cable locks to lock the wheels to the frame nicked off campus in broad daylight.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’ll never have more time to ride your bike.

Join the mtb club. If there isn’t one form one. You’ll get a grant and access to a minibus. If you can drag your lazy arse from in front of countdown you can be riding all over the country.

ska-49
    Free Member

I thought the same as you when I was gearing up for uni. Turns out there was plenty of time to ride and even though my room was tiny I managed to take 3 bikes (and 2 surf boards)- 2 behind the door and 1 under the bed. I lived in Falmouth and I looovveed it. Enjoy it!

Rosss
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I think what I was trying to say is i’d rather sell the two bikes now before the money falls off them and get something that can do both and put the rest of the money in the bank for when i’m finished. The bike would probably been kept under the bed locked up and taken home between terms. I would get a cheap roadie for getting around and fitness rides.

dan45a
    Free Member

I think it’s a good idea going to one 160mm bike. It will do it all around the South Wales area (assuming Newport Gwent you are referring to?).

You will have more time then ever but you will also have more hangovers if you are easily led astray ( as I was). With merthyr bike park opening in the autumn it’s good have the gravity side of things covered. Perhaps have 2 sets of wheels, trail and dh??

Sb66 is a beauty but expensive, spicy/ nomad/ enduro would all do the job.

tomhoward

I had a quick go on a Saracen (I know, the shame!) Ariel 16…whatever the bling spec one is, yesterday, was stunned as to how ace and quick it was….

Duane…
    Free Member

As someone who is currently at uni (well, I’m on placement at the moment)..

You should have loads of time to ride.

Find out more before deciding-
    What is the local riding like
    Uni club – how good is it, and what/where do they ride
    Do you have a car – if not, you will be limited to very local riding (or lifts from club/mates).

You’ll be a bit annoyed if you sell your DH bike, and then find out there’s some quality DH tracks on your doorstep with a keen group of uni riders.

Re: not taking a nice bike to uni, silly talk – while I was never in halls, loads of mates are and have had few problems with bike theft (one mate locked his up in a communal bike shed and it got nicked, go figure)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Two bikes into one?’ is closed to new replies.