Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Two basic questions
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did an event (just for njee) yesterday and had two problems. Despite service in last 10 days, the two top gear in both top rings were constantly jumping making it difficult to travel fast. Rel new replacement so seems strange if there is a cog problem. Is that just an adjustment thing?

Left hand spd, tough to get in (adjustment too tight) but kept releasing when going fast (too loose)? Very strange and disconcerting in fast descents. I have only ever adjusted the one bolt. Is it more complicated than that?

scaredypants

have you checked the cassette for twigs, stones between the 2 sprockets ?
    cables clean ?
    is it a SRAM ? – seem to have weak springs to me

spd cleat worn maybe ? or grit in the binding somewhere stopping it engaging fully (have you changed shoes ? – maybe the sole is getting in the way)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Shimano. I keep the bike pretty clean and wash after ever ride. Could have been stones during the ride I guess? But new cogs so all annoying as really had to avoid top two / three gears.

I will have another look at spd’s today. They are much older 5-6 years. I will experiment with different settings today but in past have only adjusted one thing at th end. Read an article yesterday that mentioned three adjustment which made me wonder if it was more complicated than I thought.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

Lube your cables, then on a stand run it through the gears, adjust as necessary. Check the mech is stright, check the cable is long enough, check the inner is not kinked.

There are two sides to your SPD, each has an adjuster.

If you paid a shop to do your service, dont bother next time – learn to do it yourself so you can fix these issues.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Two basic questions’ is closed to new replies.