Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Twit in a Vauxhall
  • Parvis
    Free Member

Turning right (I was driving not riding) at a roundabout last night some idiot in a Vauxhall Zafira (I think) pulls out on me and I went straight into the side of him. He (I don’t know why, but I always assume someone driving that badly must be a bloke) fishtails a bit, mounts the pavement and then speeds off. I gave chase, but he started pulling some outrageously dangerous overtaking to get away so Ithought better of it.

Oh well got the reg number and I’m off to the police station tomorrow to collect my incident report form.

Annoying thing is, I had company cars for years, and have never had an accident, but have just moved jobs and bought my own car. Bad timing

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’ll put money on him having no insurance.

Parvis
    Free Member

Or drunk

convert

or drinking.

crazy-legs

The Police take a very dim view of leaving the scene of an accident, it’s probably a worse offence than having no insurance.

As mentioned above, it’s almost certainly a banned or drunk driver/no insurance etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably drinking using the money he saved on not having insurance.

starsh78
    Free Member

Keep us updated Parvis, I’d like to hear the out come 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Same happened to me once. Chav reversed into me at speed in a Tesco car park. I gave chase but they’d shattered mt turbo intake and managed to escape for approx 3 hours before I found their car parked outside their house. For reasons I still don’t understand it turned out they were insured ❓ and then accepted full liability.

Hope it works out for you

M6TTF
    Free Member

from an insurance point of view, you stilldrove into him. at best it’d go 50/50. the guy cleared off, i’d consider just getting your car repaired and not losing out on the insurance!

cynic-al
    Free Member

M6TTf WTF logic is that?

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, M6TTF, that’s rubbish

Cougar

I’d put money on the owner claiming it’s been stolen.

(Whether it has or not, well, could go either way really).

M6TTF
    Free Member

not from my experience im afraid…. I hit someone who pulled out on me when I was already on the roundabout. I thought it would be a straightforward case, but the other driver came back with a right load of made up cobblers, and despte me having a witness it went 50/50 on the claim, end up losing my no claims and a policy hike the following year.

things are never straightforward!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah. Based on one incident.

Woody
    Free Member

You should have called the police immediately last night. By waiting until today, if they do trace the /owner/guy who was driving, he’ll be stone cold sober and probably claim you were drunk and drove into him while he was waiting to pull out.

Any reason why you didn’t report it immediately? Surely you must have injured your wrist or neck!!! – every other motorist who has a bump seems to and the police would have been there sharpish!

snaps
    Free Member

Tis true – stupid cow pulled out on me on a roundabout in May 2008, I was on a motorcycle, lights on, indicating, in the correct position on the road & suddenly there’s an Nissan X trail right in front of me & I hit her OSR wheel, witnessed by an off duty fireman behind me – after over a year of insurance companies waffling between themselves, the only way I could get anything was to admit 25% liability, which meant that I got 75% of the cost of repairing my bike – I’ve since been told that roundabout accidents are rarely settled 100% one persons fault.

M6TTF
    Free Member

yup cynicAl, based in my own experience, one incident or ntt, it cost me dear, so I live up to your forum name these days….

Parvis
    Free Member

I phoned the police straight away, but they told me I had to go to the police station and present my mot cert, insurance cert etc before they will investigate.

Parvis
    Free Member

By the way the damage was not too bad, car is still roadworthy and no-one was hurt, just annoyed he fled

j_me
    Free Member

M6TTF – do you drive a slightly dinged Zafira ?

M6TTF
    Free Member

haha – fraid not, currently looking to trade a boring passat 1.8t for something more entertaining!

M6TTF
    Free Member

snaps – Member
    Tis true – stupid cow pulled out on me on a roundabout in May 2008, I was on a motorcycle, lights on, indicating, in the correct position on the road & suddenly there’s an Nissan X trail right in front of me & I hit her OSR wheel, witnessed by an off duty fireman behind me – after over a year of insurance companies waffling between themselves, the only way I could get anything was to admit 25% liability, which meant that I got 75% of the cost of repairing my bike – I’ve since been told that roundabout accidents are rarely settled 100% one persons fault.

i rest my case m’lord – and stand by my first post 😉

Parvis
    Free Member

The police called me today and said that they will now investigate. Do you think they’ve given him enough time to repair the dent before they go round and have a look?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was pretty close to running into my grandfather after he pulled out on me today. i tried to wave at him but he knew he was in the wrong and suddenly had to look at his feet until i’d driven off!! dozy old sod!

steveh

If it’s taken this long to do anything (if the damage has bee fixed or not) I’d be asking why and thinking about a complaint.

bland

Have a go at using teh motor insurance bureau to recoup your losses especially if he was uninsured.

My wife pulled out of a junction into a car that was speeding last year, she gave false details, turned out had no insurance etc and that was that. Anyhow, got £950 off the MIB, sold the knackered Cougar on ebay for £350 and only paid £850 for it a few months before, so worked out quite well in the end.

Moonhead
    Free Member

I hope your ins pays out. It is horrible when they don’t. Had 2 experiences when other drivers have wrecked my cars. One was so high on E she hit me then bounced of 4 other cars! She drove off then ditched her car. I drove round and luckily found it abandoned behind a pub. It took me months to get the claim through and much longer back my excess back. Turns out it wasn’t even her car.

I also got whacked by a bloke in a car park…I was stationary at the time and he came round a corner so fast he bounced off the front of my car. He maintained that his music was so loud he didn’t hear the crashing sound and drove off.

I had to pay out lots for that one, car park accidents are a total non starter. The CCTV was the best bit. I went to find out if I could get a copy of the tape to be told that all the cameras in our works car park were fake!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Twit in a Vauxhall’ is closed to new replies.