Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Twisted chain
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Chain kept going off the top of the cassette recently, despite it being adjusted properly. Had a good look at it, and noticed one of the links was twisted quite a bit. Bent it back, but still quite surprised. No idea how it could’ve happened.

Anyone else had this?

prawny

I have on my commuter when the chain got jammed. Has it been jammed before? Or did it get twisted when it came off the first time?

molgrips
    Free Member

I cannot think of any jamming incident that could’ve caused it but logic dictates there must’ve been one.

jimdubleyou

Doesn’t take much. I’ve killed a couple of chains by twisting links.

Obviously I blame a sudden malfunction due to missed service interval, but usually it’s cack-handedness on my part.

prawny

I’ve managed to fix my twisted chain with Quad Power. I recommend just rinding it, it’ll fix itself*

*may not be good advice.

colournoise

Twisted chain?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Beqw2w]2015 12 14 bike 05[/url] by Rob P, on Flickr

sandboy

I’ve done it on my Fatty, bit of chain suck and it somehow twisted. I was lucky I didn’t rip of the rear mech!

scaredypants

Bent it back

not sure I’d be doing that – can you take it out & still havew enough length left ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a new one – bending it was just to get home.

theotherjonv

still can’t work out how that Alpine got like that…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bend it straight FFS. It’ll be fine.

It’s steel, that stuff you can bend ok.

Don’t it loads of times, no issues.

Northwind

Is it some daft lightweight bullshit? I got some daft lightweight KMC bullshit one time, it bent all over the place, on the plus side it was easy to bend straight because it was made of holes.

molgrips
    Free Member

No it’s a SRAM PC971.

colournoise

theotherjonv – Member

Neither can I. Rode down a local short (10m or so) rooty section that I’ve ridden probably hundreds of times with no issues and came to a grinding halt when I tried to pedal away at the bottom…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remove the link(s) if it’s fairly new add the bit you saved when you shortened the new chain to it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Looks like chain suck took it right up the back of the chain wheel, over the top, and down the front, with the ‘slack’ loop then short-cutting across the crank?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s more risky to change the links than straighten them

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Twisted chain’ is closed to new replies.