• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • twisted ankle recovery time.
  • andybrad

Long time since ive done this. I managed to throw myself down the stairs on monday (not sure why) and upon sitting up at the bottom of the stairs found my foot was at a funny angle. I popped it back straight and after a few hours of sweating and swear words it was painful but seemed like i didnt need to go to A+E (my intention is to stay out of A&E this year, we spent a lot of time there last year with one thing and another)

Anyhow over the next few days its not seeming to get much better. Im walking on it so assume nothings broken but its starting to turn a nice shade of blue and is getting a bit more painful. Is the best thing rest or keeping it mobile?

any ideas of a recovery time. im hoping to be out on the bike asap as i missed all the Christmas rides 🙁

wwaswas

Im walking on it… is getting a bit more painful.

Go and see your GP at the least.

If your foot was at a ‘funny angle’ chances are there’s some serious soft tissue damage at the least (sorry), walking on it may be the very worst thing to do. You at least need a recovery plan beyond hoping for the best.

nickc

At the very least, phone your GP and get the number of the local minor injury clinic*, and go and see them?

*you may or may not have one, it might be something that the GP surgery provide themselves, or can route you towards, may even be the A&E

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d be getting some proper medical advice rather than getting it diagnosed by some random people on a mountain biking forum 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

I was hobbling around for 6 months after doing something similar.

You may be a young thing though and have a much quicker recovery time 🙂

andybrad

pah,

not sounding good.

woody2000

About 6 months for “complete” recovery when I did mine, though it still aches like buggery when I’m driving for any length of time sadly (12 months on).

I tolerated riding after about 4 weeks though, with the help of pre-emptive painkillers mind. Wasn’t my best idea as I reckon I probably prolonged the recovery by riding, but I was going nuts 😉

jimdubleyou

I suggest you get it looked at and a proper treatment/recovery plan, otherwise it will remain weak, and you’ll just keep going over on it.

andybrad

this is all sounding rubbish.

ill give it the weekend and try the docs next week if no improvement.

johndoh
    Free Member

I did something similar many years ago (fooling around with my brother and fel back on my leg, pulling my foot flat against the floor. I put up and put up for weeks then, on falling over when I tried to jog across a road, I decided I needed to do something about it and ended up undergoing physio which was mainly successful although I can still feel it now and again, especially when playing football as it is my standing foot.

somafunk

I sprained my ankle quite badly back in march of 2016 (by tripping over a lawnmower), it took 6 months of wearing an Aircast A60 ankle brace along with strengthening exercises using those elastic training bands before i felt confident enough to walk/ride without it.

dazh

I’m a sprained ankle veteran after many years of bouldering. It can be anything between a few weeks and more than a year! Worst one I had was a month on crutches, 6 months before I could walk without a limp, and 9 months before jogging/running was an option. Probably took a full 18 months before it was back to normal.

If it’s getting worse don’t walk on it. Ice it and elevate it. Go to A+E (sorry) to get an x-ray to check for any broken bones, being able to put weight on it doesn’t mean it’s not broken. If you don’t end up in a plaster, and when the swelling’s gone down go see a physio to get a proper re-hab programme. I didn’t do this back in the day and as a result I’ve now got two weak ankles with all sorts of bony lumps.

WTF
    Free Member

Lying in bed typing this with plaster cast on my leg after hill-walking incident which has resulted in fractured ankle in 3 places.
    As most have said already go and get it checked as break may not be obvious and from what consultant tells me you will have 14 days before it is too late to repair damage.
    HTH

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘twisted ankle recovery time.’ is closed to new replies.