Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Twilight series books suitable for a 12yo girl? If not, recomendations please..
  • rockhopper70

We are mulling over buying our daughter a kindle as she loves reading but the book collection is taking over her room.
    So, aside from the price of kindle edition books to consider, if we get one then we fancy having it loaded with some reading material.
    As everything vampire seem to be “in”, would the Twilight series be OK for her?
    The reviews suggest they might be a bit saucy…
    any views please.
    Cheers

rudebwoy
    Free Member

do you have a local library ?

try out the twilight books, what is the problem– you think she will suddenly change ?

i take it she goes to school, you do know what 12 year olds talk about ?

relax, its part of growing up.

missnotax
    Free Member

Yep, I would let a 12 year read the Twilight books. The author has quite strict values so they are actually – morally speaking – probably exactly what you want a 12 year old to read anyway! Some bits are a tad scary but no worse than she’ll on the tele or whatever.

Don’t let her go anywhere near the 50 Shades books though (which I hear are doing the rounds at schools) – whole different thing….

druidh
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with Twilight.

The House of Night series (PC Cast & Kristin Cast) is aimed at 13yrs and up so would also be fine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I would seriously look at one that can take any e-pub or pdf files as that opens up a whole other source of files for you/her 🙂

rockhopper70

-hammyuk-
    like which?

emsz
    Free Member

Twilight taches your daughter that sighing a lot and looking pretty will get you the man of her dreams.

Harry Potter, working hard, reading and being a rtue friend will get you further

scaredypants

my 12yr old read ’em and she reckoned they were “fine”. I didn’t check it out 1st though.

She’s also read blood red road and the second one in the series and liked them. Again, I haven’t checked

/bad parent

sbob
    Free Member

If they’re as bad as the films I’d say it was bordering on child abuse.

peteimpreza

You should not let your daughter read the Twilight saga because its poorly written drivel with undertones of Mormon propaganda.

Harry Potter or The Hobbit would be better.

Having said that I read Lord of the Rings before I was twelve.

If she must have vampires then the original by Bram Stoker should be the starting point.

Coyote
    Free Member

You should not let your daughter read the Twilight saga because its poorly written drivel with undertones of Mormon propaganda.

Of course it is. Mormons are known for their affinity with Vampires and Werewolves.

Let her read it, she’ll enjoy it. Also she won’t go far wrong with Harry Potter series. Why bother about her room being full of books though? Can’t have too many IMO.

hammyuk
    Free Member

All of the cheap Android tablets have the option, loads of apps for “reading”.

peteimpreza

Coyote check who wrote it and the way women are portrayed in these “novels”.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Lol at all the STW regulars reading twilight… what the…

druidh
    Free Member

It’s never occurred to you that the “STW regulars” might have daughters….
    what the…

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

It’s never occurred to you that the “STW regulars” might have daughters….
    what the…

No excuse lol I’ve got a dog – doesn’t mean I lick my ass. 😆

wallop

I read Judy Blume at 12, shortly followed by Jilly Cooper’s Riders 😆

Twilight will be perfect 🙂

lizzz
    Free Member

Please for the love of… just about everything… find something better for your daughter to read.

The relationships between the characters in those books are just not healthy. There are several occasions at least where the main male character physically prevents the girl from going to see another friend that he doesn’t approve of.
    He has her spied on by a member of his family.
    When they eventually get married and sleep together she ends up covered in bruises because he is so much stronger than her and apparently can’t control himself.
    There’s a load of other stuff that I really cant be bothered listing, but it’s all done because he ‘loves her so much’.
    It’s fair to say that this style of ‘romance’ isn’t something we should be allowing young girls to think of as something to aspire to.

She’ll most likely get hold of a copy from school friends anyway though, you probably have little chance of stopping her from reading the books even if you want to.

Peyote
    Free Member

Haven’t read it myself, but some of the social workers I work with echo what Lizzz said. There’s some classic abusive behaviour in the relationships apparently. Some of the stuff is typical domestic abuse: isolation, physical and emotional manipulation, blackmail and the like. Probably let her read it, but give her a copy of “why does he do that?” by Lundy Bancroft too!

MrsToast
    Free Member

If I had kids I wouldn’t want them anywhere near the Twilight books. Apart from being shockingly written, as people have mentioned the messages they give out aren’t great.

One of the weird things for me is that the entire romance is based around a bloke who’s over a 100 years old still hanging around in high schools and starts an abusive, controlling relationship with a 17 year old. It’s like a cross between Justin Lee Collins and Jimmy Saville.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    SaxonRider

emsz – Member

Twilight taches your daughter that sighing a lot and looking pretty will get you the man of her dreams.

Harry Potter, working hard, reading and being a rtue friend will get you further

Like. 8)

stevomcd
    Free Member

It’s dead easy to pub .epub and .pdf files on a Kindle, just need to download Calibre (free).

PrinceJohn

Twilight is gateway drug to 50 shades.

rockhopper70

OK. I think I have heard enough..
    I might not be able to stop her reading this but I dont want to encourage or condone such content.

She is on her third round of reading the harry potter series by the way. I have passed her my box set lord of the rings trilogy but it doesnt seem to have the same attraction for her.

PrinceJohn

If she enjoyed Harry – about some Phillip Pullman – His Dark Materials trilogy?

Might be worth checking age suitability…but I’m sure it’ll be fine…

druidh
    Free Member

Harry Potter – are you being serious? Do you want her to grow up thinking there are two forces in the world – Good and Evil? That resurrection is possible? That characters willingly give up their life to their persecutors for a greater cause and then re-appear in spiritual form to provide guidance? That there’s some sort of magic made by waving various implements in the air and chanting spells?

Oh – I was getting mixed up with the Bible again, aye?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Let her decide her own reading material. Load up the Kindle all you want, but let her choose her own stuff. Don’t close an open mind!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Twilight series books suitable for a 12yo girl? If not, recomendations please..’ is closed to new replies.