Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)
  • Twentyfour12 Roll call
  • Jason
    Free Member

Any thoughts about the relative stupidity of riding 12 hour solo on a rigid bike?

I have done a few 12hr solos on a rigid bike. It is never too bad, 12 hours gives plenty of time to find fast smooth lines – although my hands and triceps always seem to take a battering! 29er hard tail for me this year.

The pictures on the Bonty Facebook page look like the course will be fast rolling and fairly smooth, I am sure there will be some lumpy bits too.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The pictures on the Bonty Facebook page look like the course will be fast rolling and fairly smooth, I am sure there will be some lumpy bits too.

According to yesterdays update on the Facebook page, there’s a 1.4km fire road climb in there.
    Gonna be hard work if it’s a hot day 😯

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oh yes it will be hot. If it is the usual long climb, it is more of a hard track by a field rather than a forest fire road -and will be in the sun much of saturday and all of sunday morning. Fwiw it is still my favourite way to get to the top of that side of the estate -allows the maximum range of fun ways back down again.

amedias
    Free Member

Any thoughts about the relative stupidity of riding 12 hour solo on a rigid bike?

I did 6 laps back to back on a rigid v-braked SS last year (a Bontrager no less!), then swapped to FS for the remainder, then back to the SS for the last 2, It’s not too bad but can wear you down if it’s dry and th ground is baked hard as Newnham has a lot of buzzy bumpy bits.

c_klein87

rigid will be fine round newnham, I did it a few years ago, and my lefty goes almost rigid after a few hours…..

Hopefully it is the long tarmac climb, its nice and gradual and good time to eat and drink, better than the grass climb on the other side of the course, that was harder!!

mboy
    Free Member

To the guy with a Team of 5 that’s 2 people short…

Me and the GF could well be able to help you out. We’re not fast, but we can ride bikes, we know how to have fun (just go and see the Sumo boys and take some cider with you!) and we absolutely love 24/12 as it’s the best course and event in the UK. Didn’t organise a ride earlier as we didn’t know how commitments for this weekend were going to pan out, but if anyone would like our services, we’d love to join in…

GregMay
    Free Member

Spent last night doing the last bits of bike fettling. Looks like we’re going to get dry weather so I’ve ambitiously set up both bikes in dry conditions mode as well 🙂

I’ll be somewhere over in the Solo area on the Friday. I have a mahooosive family tent with a silver Berlingo. Should have a few of the lads from the team kicking about on the Sat/Sun I’ll be the chap in the worlds most orange helmet.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

CAKE!

We will be running a charity cake Stall Saturday from 0900 – 1130 in the registration tent.
    Raising money for the Primrose Foundation which supports Plymouth hospitals Breast Care Unit. So when you come see us at registration bring an extra pound or two and go away with a piece of home made cake!

then at 1200 me and Mrs XCwanabe will be part of a Royal Navy 5 doing 24hrs, will make a change from solo 12.

IdleJon

Team of 4 here. I’ve done plenty of 24s, and variations of, but the rest of the team are 24hr virgins. 😈

Yak – Member
    Not looking forward to the kids disappointment in not getting into the kids race though, unless some kids drop out. Last year it was entry on the day. This time it is pre-entry only, which passed me by and its sold out now. Seems pretty harsh on the little ones that the kids race can’t cater for all of them imo as I’m sure I’m not the only parent who thought it would be as last year.

To be fair to the organiser, after last year when the kids’ race was massively oversubscribed he had to put a limit on numbers. Charging £3 per child isn’t excessive when they all get medals and there were still entries available up until a few weeks ago. (I entered one of mine on 6th July.) This was all there to see on the website – the kids entry was underneath the main entries. (I’m not having a go at you, Yak you blind git, hope you understand. 🙂 )

gary

Spent last night doing the last bits of bike fettling. Looks like we’re going to get dry weather so I’ve ambitiously set up both bikes in dry conditions mode as well

Heh. I got out the mud tyres last night, just to appease the weather gods 🙂
    12h solo for me, Rocky Mountain 29er with faithful Bonty as backup.

Anyone know what the pit setup is like? Trackside camping for solos?

Jason
    Free Member

Yes normally lots of trackside camping for solo riders. In previous years the course has looped back through the campsite, so plenty of opportunity to get a trackside pitch. I can’t recall an actual solo pit area.

I am also on a Rocky Mountain 29er.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Track usually winds about a bit in the main field to maximise trackside camping space, but like MM, there is a mad rush to get set up as soon as (actually before 👿 ) the advertised opening time on thursday. And similar taping off of acres of trackside for team-mates tents that don’t get set up until the following day or saturday. Although quite how you could do this differently I don’t know.

There is supposed to be a dedicated solo camping area, again with lots of trackside and is marked with signs: every year its been at newnham this has been in the main field nearest the entrance to the site, so before you get to the event village/start/finish arch etc. Good nature in the solo camping bits with people up all night cheering you on when the rest of the campsite has gone to bed.

If you don’t get a trackside spot, there is also usually a covered area at the transition that unsupported soloists put boxes of spares, dink, food etc in.

Weather is looking good ATM. It is ****’ scorching here today (1.5 miles away) and hasn’t rained properly down here for quite a few days, so a small to moderate amount of rain if it does come will just damp the dust down a bit and get sucked up by the trees.

gary

It is ****’ scorching here today

Yey! 🙂

pictonroad

going again, after 24hr team race last year I’m 12hr solo this year. Felt I missed out on the ‘other stuff’ being in race mode for 24hrs. Felt like I finished showered and left.

This year finishing at 12 I’m hoping to have a few beers and soak up some atmosphere without the pressure.

Nowhere near fit enough, got an awful hip pain so I’ll just have to see how I get on. . 😥

Dog knob red VW high top transporter, come say Hi.

James

IdleJon

julianwilson – Member
    ….. but like MM, there is a mad rush to get set up as soon as (actually before ) the advertised opening time on thursday

Can’t say I’ve noticed this. I normally arrive with my family on the Thursday evening and there is plenty of space and a very calm, chilled atmosphere. Last year there was a good 70-80m between our tent and the next (Team Sumo) when we set up at around 6pm.

40mpg

mboy – Member
    To the guy with a Team of 5 that’s 2 people short…

Me and the GF could well be able to help you out. We’re not fast, but we can ride bikes, we know how to have fun (just go and see the Sumo boys and take some cider with you!)

You can’t have him, if he’s got cider, we want him!

but if anyone would like our services, we’d love to join in…

ah, didnt realise he was looking for that sort of party, he’s all yours

😀

40mpg

Last year there was a good 70-80m between our tent and the next (Team Sumo) when we set up at around 6pm

Yes, you’d need at least that!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

What’s the catering usually like there?

Is it any good or just the usual race thing of a van selling burgers or bacon buttes?

aP
    Free Member

We’re heading down to the south west for Thursday afternoon, final pit stop at the Sainsbury’s with the sails for munchables before heading into the solo area. We’re both riding 12 hour solo, and both on niners… only mine is rigid 😐

Yak

Yak you blind git,

Yeah – I know 😳 Should have looked. I just entered the team a long time ago then forgot about it. Hadn’t set myself up for facetwits either until too late. Obviously my lack of organisation has lead to this happening. Its just that as an adult, if you don’t get in, you don’t turn up. Kids have to come along, so its just a bit galling for them to miss out when they know there’s a kids race as they did it last year.

I have been in touch with Martin about this and he’s fixed on 70 as he’s bought medals and number plates. I appreciate his position, but thought there was nothing wrong with last year. If some kids didn’t get in last year (I’m unaware of this) then that’s no good either. If was just busy, then what’s the problem? The field thinned out quick enough.

I’ll keep advertising for a place and/or maybe the chances of 70 end-of-term kids all being well is slim so could try and get a last minute non registering entry.

localhero94
    Free Member

Anyone know how to transfer an entry? I have a 24 solo vets entry that I’m not going to use due to a fractured wrist on my last training ride (yes, I’m a little bit disappointed). Was going to put it up for sale on here and xcracer but am not sure of the process of transferring?

mboy
    Free Member

You can’t have him, if he’s got cider, we want him!

Tempted to come down just to drink cider and heckle you guys, then drink more cider when you’re finished! 😛

To be fair though, it’s a 400 odd mile round trip, I kinda feel that there should be some riding involved… So… Anybody out there still need a team member or two? Me and the GF are offering our services…

mboy
    Free Member

Anyone know how to transfer an entry? I have a 24 solo vets entry that I’m not going to use due to a fractured wrist on my last training ride (yes, I’m a little bit disappointed). Was going to put it up for sale on here and xcracer but am not sure of the process of transferring?

Email Martyn Salt, he’ll be able to help you out. Sadly I’m neither a Vet nor do I fancy doing a 24hr solo… 😕

Yak

Hmmm fairly certain that Martyn now doesn’t want email changes as its so close. All name changes to be done at registration now.

So if you sell it, the buyer will have to update at sign-on

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Email Martyn Salt, he’ll be able to help you out. Sadly I’m neither a Vet nor do I fancy doing a 24hr solo…

Hmmm fairly certain that Martyn now doesn’t want email changes as its so close. All name changes to be done at registration now.

So if you sell it, the buyer will have to update at sign-on

Yak, dead right. You can trnafer names at registration, but I’d prefer it if you came along Friday evening or VERY early Saturday, as we’ll be trying to deal with lots of swaps, giving out first 500 gifts, encouraging people to by cake for the charity.

See you either Friday or Sat.

Rob
    the ugly one of the registration tag team.

Yak

xcwanabe / Rob,

Just an aside – is there a latest registration time for the kids race? As we’ve not got an entry, I was wondering if we could see if anyone had failed to turn up by the cut-off time and my son could enter please?

Kryton57

I’d forgotton about the 1st 500 gifts. I wonder what it is….

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Just an aside – is there a latest registration time for the kids race? As we’ve not got an entry, I was wondering if we could see if anyone had failed to turn up by the cut-off time and my son could enter please?

don’t think there is an offical cut off but I’d say 30mins before race start would be a good time to start asking the Question. I did speak to Martyn yesterday and he’s looking at ways of accepting a few more children.
    I think the populatiry of the childrens races caught everyone out. Last year it was manic trying to do registration for the 24/12 and then the childrens racing as well hence moving it on line like dads/mums race and hopefully easing the burden on me and Mrs XC!

I was down Nenwham last night, it;s going to be fast! majority of Track side camping (for teams) is at about 2/3 distance so time enough to finish that last drink and head to transititon to hand over. Martyn’s also included a second Camping field Phalis to increase trackside camping.

final descent this year is the grassy run in past the front of the “big House.”

Yak

xcwanabe – thanks!

See you there.

Dogsby

On the ferry to Wales and then heading South. First time at 24/12 having decided to make the move from MM. All looking good so far but I am sure I have forgotten something!

Kryton57

All looking good so far but I am sure I have forgotten something!

I’ve just had to phone half the Premier Travel Inn in devon to find out which one I booked for Sunday night, only to find I was in a Travelodge.

Lucky I thought to check…

jam-bo

a few rumbles of thunder out in the channel this morning…

localhero94
    Free Member

xcwanabe – Member

Yak, dead right. You can trnafer names at registration, but I’d prefer it if you came along Friday evening or VERY early Saturday, as we’ll be trying to deal with lots of swaps, giving out first 500 gifts, encouraging people to by cake for the charity.

See you either Friday or Sat.

Rob
    the ugly one of the registration tag team.

Thanks Rob. I’ve not managed to sell my entry yet, but I’m coming down to support and my son’s in the kids race so I’ll come and have a chat and see if anyone’s been after an entry on Friday.

mjsmke

Me and the other half will be there as part of a mixed team. First time for us. Just doing some final checks on the bikes now. Then the fun of trying to fit 2 bikes and camping equipment in a very small car!

40mpg

Re-checked the weather forecast and it still says HOT so I’ve just been down to Tescos for another 8 bottles of isotonic cider. Hoping all 20 will last me until Sunday morning. 😀

amedias
    Free Member

had a fair bit of thunder here in Exeter earlier and a bit of a downpour for 20mins, hopefully damped down the dust a bit!

julioflo
    Free Member

Just back home from nipping down and setting up our Gazebo trackside…Walked a bit of the track on the Cottage Return Side of the valley with the dog to see what is diff this year. All looks superb and dry as a bone. Very excited.

Jason
    Free Member

Car is almost loaded and ready to go in the morning. Still having dilemmas over whether to pack the wellies or not? Hopefully on site about lunchtime tomorrow. Looking forward to a dry and hot race.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Still not convinced it’s going to be dry – I’ve been racing here for many years & have yet to have a completely dry race… Fortunately though a broken leg put paid to any racing during the apocalyptic weather a couple of years ago.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m sitting looking at the pile of kit that I’m taking and starting to think that the car might not be big enough 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Twentyfour12 Roll call’ is closed to new replies.