Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Twentyfour12 Roll call
  • c_klein87

Seems really popular this year which is great news, all cat’s sold out, i’m just putting final touches to my bikes, and trying to mentally prepare for my first solo 24!! I haven’t really raced that much this year, but ridden more than ever, hopefully that helps.

Who’s on board?

CHRis-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk/

GregMay
    Free Member

Solo 24 as well Chris. See you there matey 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

Solo 12 for me. One of my favourite events of the year. Not looking forward to the drive down there though.

amedias
    Free Member

Solo 24 for me…

Dogsby

I’ll be there. We have a male and a female soloist and a couple of teams. I am driving from Belfast!!

Dogsby

ellsy
    Free Member

I’ll be there. My first 24 solo…

Yak

Team of 4, 24 for us. Looking forward to it.

Not looking forward to the kids disappointment in not getting into the kids race though, unless some kids drop out. Last year it was entry on the day. This time it is pre-entry only, which passed me by and its sold out now. Seems pretty harsh on the little ones that the kids race can’t cater for all of them imo as I’m sure I’m not the only parent who thought it would be as last year.

aP
    Free Member

We’re both riding 12hr solo, we will then be applying muscle relaxant and offering helpful advice to 24hr riders come midnight 😉
    Heavy rain forecast for Friday…..

Yak

Good luck to all the soloists.

stumpy01

Team of 4 of us.
    Having a nightmare week so far, but managed to give bike a quick clean yesterday and get the front brake bled.

Took days holiday today as car broke down, and have managed to sort out most of my packing as a result.
    Tomorrow, am off to Germany after work for the day on Wed. Get back late Wed night, then pick repaired car up from garage Thurs morning, drive to work, get it re-mot tested (failed on brakes) at nearby garage, drive to mates nr Leamington Thurs evening and then cruise down to Plymouth on Fri!

24/12 will feel like a nice break after all of that nonsense!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Torchbearer 12 hr solo. 8th 24/12 for me, and my 4th solo effort iirc.
    Well excited as ever. Not that we will be seeing much of it, but mrs (who is also doing 24hr solo) has booked us a teepee this time!

BTW get yourselves to the Miner’s arms nearby for posh pub food, normal pub food and proper ale. Lovely and very outdoorsy-friendly pub, easy ride from the site and you can leave your bike well out of the way in the beer garden.

julioflo
    Free Member

24hr pairs here. Will be ‘Team L1 Triangle’ if anyone fancies heckling us on. Looking forward to it, and am sure the forecast rain will only be alight bit of drizzle a that is all the forecast rain in Devon was over the past weekend.

bgd
    Free Member

Team of 4 here. Have hardly ridden the last month or so due to BGD junior being poorly but going to give it a go in support of CLIC who have helped get us through the last few weeks. If you see a very tired bloke in a CLIC t shirt please put a blanket over me 😆

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Torchbearer solo here 😀
    Got a glamping tent booked so that should be interesting. Been checking the weather forecast this week and when I was looking yesterday it said it would be foot weather over the weekend, now some are saying good and some are saying it’s gonna pour down. I guess it’ll be the usual 12h race thing of taking all clothes and kit for all weathers!

stumpy01

Is it just me that massively over packs as you never know what the weather is going to do?!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Is it just me that massively over packs as you never know what the weather is going to do?!

Definitely not.
    I’m starting to worry about whether or not I’ll be able to fit everything in the car!

aP
    Free Member

Like all these events, you just have to get on with it. I’m wondering whether to ride a 26 hardtail or 29er rigid…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I’ll be there. But then I suppose I have to as its across the road from my house 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup there with the RAF team. First time of not soloing a 24hr. I’m looking forward to having a meander inbetween laps.

Jason
    Free Member

12 hour solo for my wife and me this year. I have been to 24:12 3 or 4 times in the past, but somehow have never actually raced. Looking forward to giving it a go this year – although not sure how quick I will be as I don’t seem to have done much riding this year.

Planning on taking a car and roof box full of bike stuff.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Team of 3 here, was 5 up until a week ago. Never ridden it or any other 24hr race before. Any tips on what to take?

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, solo 24. Planning on a mellow sort of weekend. 🙂

stumpy01

bikerdan – Member
    Team of 3 here, was 5 up until a week ago. Never ridden it or any other 24hr race before. Any tips on what to take?

The usual, really. A smattering of spares, clothing for all eventualities although it will be perhaps too warm to wear waterproofs even if it does rain.
    Can be chilly on the night laps. I sometimes wear arm warmers and thin leggings on the night laps.

Decent lights and a back-up of some sort. Most people just use their helmet light as their back-up. Oh, and remember the chargers!

Camping-wise…..decent tent and awning/canopy, chairs, lights/head torches to see what you are doing at night.

There’s food on site as well as a shop selling bike stuff and somewhere will be doing repairs if needed. Also jet wash facilities.

Locks. Do not assume that everyone is ‘biking buddies’ and it’s safe to leave your bike unlocked and unattended. Quite a few cases of gangs going round bike events hand-picking fancy bikes and whipping them away in a van.

Wellies. Might not need them, but after the rain a couple of years ago wellies are mandatory for me to stick in the car…..!

The atmosphere before and during the race is great. Plenty of encouragement through the start/finish camping area and it’s nice to come back at 1am after a hard lap and stand watching the jazz singer.
    There’s a mix of recreational rider and racer, but it works nicely. People are 99% polite and it’s a very pleasant place to ride.

Nobby

Wellies. Might not need them, but after the rain a couple of years ago wellies are mandatory for me to stick in the car…..!

Flip flops for me – the ultimate campsite footwear. 🙂

I’m in, 12 hr pairs this year so I can spend the small hours offering abuse encouragement and support (and possibly beer) to the mad soloists.

julianwilson
    Free Member

bikerdan – Member

-Take mud tyres so it doesn’t rain!
    -Flipflops for the showers.
    -Suncream!
    -Money for food and special offers on trade stands. (Not massive but i have found something worth buying for quite a lot less than rrp evey year).
    -Brushes- although there is a proper jetwash to queue for if its muddy, you can’t use the many drinking water taps on site to clean your bike but the river running through the middle is very accessible if it is muddy. One very muddy year solo i was riding round with a bottle of chain lube in my pocket and dunking bike once a lap where the track went near a convenient point.
    -Loo roll, as the one time you need it it will be all gone. One year it was bad, but generally the loos and showers are well looked after and emptied/serviced during the weekend rather than getting proper minging.
    -If you are planning on sleeping at all during the race, bring earplugs. I hear the small-hours shoobedoobeedoo jazz lady is back for an eighth gig 😉
    -lights! You should be able to charge them between laps in one of the tents if you run low (which with only 3 of you and 6 or 7 hours of darkness you might…) And be prepared for the ‘light arms race phenomenom’ whereby you cannot see where you are going as the person 20 yards behind you has such bright lights all you can see is the sides of the trail as you ride into your own shadow. In this case ride faster or pull over and let the facemelters get past.
    -I like yellow lenses for the late evening gloaming, partly for seeing and partly for fly/eye collisions.
    -cheap energy tips -salted cashew nuts and a box or three of those flapjack squares. And bananas, for energy and also potassium which normal salt doesn’t replace but you will still sweat out if its mega hot. I try not to ignore this as i cramp fairly quickly in the heat.
    -frozen bladder of your favourite sports/electrolyte drink makes a good icepack for your coolbox and you can refill your bottles with it as you go.

Also advertise on here or the xcracer.com forum for more teammates if you are worried about being down to 3. Many ‘real life’ friendships on this forum formed in just this way. Come to think of it, an insanely fit cx/roadie friend of my wife’s also wants to pop his mountain bike racing cherry, (he lives local to newnham) -if you want i will see if he is interested.

sarpullido
    Free Member

Doing my first 24 hours solo, too. ANd no helpers so far. We’ll see…It’s going to be tough.

c_klein87

phew i’m not the only 24 solo virgin!

weather wise, depends who you trust, i’m going with xcweather, wall to wall sunshine 8)

richmars

weather wise, depends who you trust, i’m going with xcweather, wall to wall sunshine

No, don’t start looking at weather forecasts, you’ll either get all excited, then disappointed, or more and more depressed!
    (based on many twentyfour -12’s)

monkeychild
    Free Member

Doing my first 24 hours solo, too. ANd no helpers so far. We’ll see…It’s going to be tough

I’ve also rode solo unsupported. It’s tough, but there is a self satisfaction in doing it that way.

c_klein87

I did the muddy year, lasted 6hrs of hauling a singlespeed through the mud, then canned it, still felt like id ridden for 12hrs

GregMay
    Free Member

Doing my first 24 hours solo, too. ANd no helpers so far. We’ll see…It’s going to be tough.

You’ll be fine. Just keep riding, prep your bottles before hand, befriend your next door neighbors 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Top tip!! Go to Poundland and buy a few of those collapsable water containers. It will save you a world of hassle.

40mpg

I’m part of Team Sumo doing a 12hr solo on the fat bike in a sumo suit. I’m not worried about the weather as it will be HOT and WET inside the suit whatever its doing outside.

Keep an eye out for the Sumo disco tent and Jump of Doom (like you’d miss it!) 😀

stylish
    Free Member

Good luck to everyone going this year, it’s a great event, after a while you almost forget it’s a bike race as it’s so social!
    A few of my mates are going, but I’m missing it, after being the tactically slow member of a 5 man team last year and finishing on the podium, I’m gutted I shall miss it, a clash with the Silverstone Classic isn’t helping, and being off the bike with a recently broken collar bone and buggered shoulder isn’t helping…

Hopefully you will get some favourable weather, lots of laughs and some great memories!

Hareydan
    Free Member

I’m in, team of 5 in the 24hr race, we’ve got 3 teams in all so will be quite a big group, usually have a fire going trackside! I’ll be styling it up over the Sumo jump of doom*

*May not be that stylish.

aP
    Free Member

Any thoughts about the relative stupidity of riding 12 hour solo on a rigid bike?

jam-bo

Sounds relatively stupid to me.

SandCrab

Yes, going with the RAF team. First time racing, first time doing a 24hr beast – what could go wrong?!

I’ll be on a very non-race setup green cotic soul, feel free to wave as you go past!

PrinceJohn

Any thoughts about the relative stupidity of riding 12 hour solo on a rigid bike?

About 1/2 as stupid as doing a 24 hour solo on said bike.

Kryton57

I can’t seem to stay on an mtb lately – not a good sign for my first 24 solo. Will be riding in an obviously light blue helmet on a white ASR5.

Any encouragement or Nobbys beer appreciated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Twentyfour12 Roll call’ is closed to new replies.