Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 417 total)
  • Twenty years ago….What were you riding?
  • jameso

1992, Just sold my Marin Pine Mtn for an Orange Alu ‘O’ with Pace rigids, Deore 2 with short XT RD, Magura brakes, Ground Controls on Mavic CDs, flite ti, a flex-stem with Zoom bars and fluo pink onza bar ends (retired the Scott AT3s for that build). Just over a grand, pretty good vfm really in hindsight.

MoreCashThanDash

Scott Impulse, with wierd shaped bars. Usually laps of Rutland Water on a Sunday morning.

Got rid of that bike about 6-7 years ago, now really wish I’d hung on to it!

petrieboy

A 13″ offroad (before they did the proflex) with a u-brake, massive seat post, toe straps, farmer johns, zoom stem, turbo saddle. Sporting a rather spiffy racing green and silver Hammerite finish. Loved that bike!

teasel
    Free Member

A Peugeot road bike from the 80s – total crap-heap.

fisha
    Free Member

oops…nevermind

yossarian
    Free Member

A red peugeot equipe road bike and a bright yellow british eagle ‘mtb’. I think the Peugeot was actually better off road and I destroyed the BE during a drunken, no-hands with your eyes closed competition in a pub car park.

shortcut

Orange Prestige and then a Kona Explosif.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Another one on a fully rigid Stumpjumper here. Black with pearl purple haze over. Yes – I’m pretty sure they were 1″ steerer. Defo had X-Lite bar ends, white Onza Porcupines or a Panaracer Smoke / Dart combo (summer or winter!) and thumbshifters mounted under the bars…

The other bike in the garage was another Specialized – an Allez Epic. The carbon one with the aluminium lugs. I’ve actually still got one of those joints cut in half that Spesh gave us at the bike shop. It was a lovely bike – had it set up for triathlons with a Profile seatpost thing to steepen the angle, rear mounted bottle cages, disc wheel, tri bars – those were the days!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Farmer_John – Member
    one of these

I had one of those too 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Purple funk with rockshox rs-1

POIDH! 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Proflex 552. Still got the frame, forks and flexstem in the garage, somewhere.

I have one, too. In superb condition; original tyres, cables etc. Would love to know how much it’s worth so I can flog the damn thing…

somafunk

A marin pine mountain (just like this one – not my pic/bike), fantastic bike which lasted two years before i went for a tricked out marin indian fire trail.

Edric64
    Free Member

I had a Dawes Off chance which got nicked then a Dawes Rough trade then the Off chance got found so I had two bikes

fisha
    Free Member

thinking back, my favourites were always the marins and their lumi forks and detailing.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was still on one of these:

It wasn’t until 2000 that I got anything to replace it! My uncle still rides it mind, despite it being a 24″ frame or something utterly stupid!

slackalice
    Free Member

Splatter paint Explosif with Tange Switchblades… awesome bike! 😀

euans2
    Free Member

I had one of these, a Carrera Krakatoa, then it got stolen

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

I have one, too. In superb condition; original tyres, cables etc. Would love to know how much it’s worth so I can flog the damn thing…

Best bet is to ask over on Retrobike forum.

druidh
    Free Member

Hi GW – * waves *

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Raleigh Mustang with the addition of yellow Profile Aero bars, the ones that plugged into the end of your bars, with the v shaped front for optimum downhill flying. Managed 45mph on a local hill with that set up. The Mustang was going to be replaced with a Orange Clockwork the following spring but I was seduced by a reduced Cannondale M400.

GW
    Free Member

Oh.. and a Cannondale M1000

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

with the addition of yellow Profile Aero bars, the ones that plugged into the end of your bars, with the v shaped front for optimum downhill flying.

Durangos?

I had some of these for a while;

tonyg2003

Orange Aluminium O. Suntour XC Pro groupset and very, very rigid, especially so for the peak district. It’s still a light bike and in the garage for pub duties :). Oh and still riding Oranges, 25miles on the 5 last night and 20 miles on the Clockwork the night before.

Kuco

Either my Kona Cindercone or Orange Clockwork.

onewheelgood

In 1992 I had a Raleigh Peak like this one

it was a great bike, sadly destroyed in a collision with a Post Office van around the middle of the year.
    Replaced by this, which I still have

trout
    Free Member

Diamond back just like the captains
    then
    Marin Pine mountain
    Pace RC200
    Marin wolf ridge
    Marin Attack trail
    and now
    Mmmbop and Nukeproof mega

The Pace is still close by and had a ride on it a few months ago
    it felt a tad weird.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Diamond back just like the captains
    then
    Marin Pine mountain

That’s a little creepy! I had a Pine Mountain as my next bike! 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

A Dawes “Lightning” road bike that I’d been riding for about ten years.
    My first MTB (93/94ish) was a Marin Palisades trail, I rode it so much the frame cracked and they sent me a Pine Mountain frame as a replacement, by that time I’d worn out the original Alivio groupset of the Palisades and upgraded everything to XT. The better frame of the Pine Mountain was a revelation after the Palisades.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It would be a lie if I claimed 20 years, but I’m pretty sure I started 18 yrs ago with a GT Timberline. This pic taken in the Yorkshire Dales, I think near the Tanhill Inn (highest pub in UK)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d just got a Prometheus and was about to start a solo tour of the Colorado trail on it (this one not mine).

CTF Home Page

mtbfix

One of those blue Saracen Tufftrax. Huge mish mash of, what a teenager at the time considered to be, upgrades. That was where the bug truly set in.

legend
    Free Member

Probably a Raleigh Extreme. It was not awesome 😯

piha
    Free Member

I was riding a Cannondale SM700, black with multi coloured splatter paintwork. Lusted after some Cooks Bros cranks and Pepperoni forks for it. Fully rigid but carried me up and down Snowdon three times no bother. Still have the bike and went out on it a couple of weeks ago, did feel a bit harsh though compared with my current bikes.

teasel
    Free Member

Best bet is to ask over on Retrobike forum.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

joeyj
    Free Member

Raleigh Montage with Reynolds 501 tubing great bike and was replaced with a silver clockwork orange with gold rockshox and fitted with white onza porcupines. Loved the orange but looked like a dogs dinner with all the different colours.

edlong
    Free Member

a legal secretary from Wakefield.

Bike-wise, I had a Falcon Sierra like the one on pg. 1 and can confirm that it was indeed a POS. Think I’d killed it by ’92 though and was off bikes altogether for a few years.

lune
    Free Member

+1 for Marin Eldridge Grade and then a Cannondale M800 (Beast of East). Still got the Marin or at least my old man has commandeered it!

loum
    Free Member

’92 started on a Saracen, think it was an “Eiger comp” but googling images I don’t remember it looking like the ones coming up. It had a massive chunky U-brake on the chainstays, and the clicky dx thumbies.
    That got nicked and I replaced it with a raleigh. Don’t remember the name but it had a reynolds frame and suntour thumbies and kit. Rode lovely and was my fav bike, but it but got nicked too that year. 🙁
    Replaced that with a Carrera Krakatoa just like euans2’s and that saw me through most of the rest of the 90s.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Marin 1991 pine mtn. Fully rigid and early oversize frame without the reduced wall thickness, so was a bit hefty. Bomb proof it was. Upgraded the drivetrain with pace rings when some **** stole it.

try5
    Free Member

I was riding a Cannondale Beast of the East. The black one with green splatters. It had a U Brake on it I think, Pace rigid forks, xt bits, Turbo saddle, Girvin alloy Flexstem and Specialized Ground Control tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘Twenty years ago….What were you riding?’ is closed to new replies.