Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Tweed Valley or Whistler..
  • Smee
    Free Member

… which of those will be better if, or as is looking more likely, when the chairlift and new trails are built?

geoffj

Whistler – more dust!

Smee
    Free Member

Is there more dust at whistler though? I suspect not.

Spesh99
    Free Member

Can’t say but I would hope Tweed Valley because I’m 30 minutes away from it. But is suspect Whistler will continue to trump it for the foreseeable future.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No chance of getting a chairlift in the tweed valley – I’ll eat my helmet if one ever gets built

Smee
    Free Member

And why do you think that TJ?

flatfish
    Free Member

is this a serious question?

Spesh99
    Free Member

No chance of getting a chairlift in the tweed valley – I’ll eat my helmet if one ever gets built

It seems that things are happening in the right places and with the right people. Also the local community is behind it for tourism reasons. So hopefully it will be good news, but as always nothing ever seems certain when it come to projects like this.

Smee
    Free Member

flatfish – why wouldn’t it be a serious question?

househusband

Is there more dust at whistler though? I suspect not.

There had to be more dust at Whistler!

Surely you’ve depleted all the dust in the Tweed Valley by now?

😉

rs
    Free Member

maybe similar levels of dust, but the tweed valley dust looks more like a paste 99% of the year.

Smee
    Free Member

And how long does whistler spend under snow each year?

druidh
    Free Member

Smee – Member

Oooo – good point.

I’m with TJ on this though. Much as I think it would be a great idea, I just can’t see the cost case stacking up. Is the idea that some income from the wind factory will subsidise the chair/resort?

flatfish
    Free Member

as tj says the chance of a chairlift being built is slim to none.(this is britain after all)

secondly have you been to whistler for riding a bike and riding a board? if you have you’ll know what i mean.

Smee
    Free Member

I think so, but the finer details of the plan are not readily available.

Smee
    Free Member

flatfish – i know that 8ft of powder snow would be a proper pita to ride a bike on.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

What’s the Canadian equivalent of Walkerburn then?

😉

flatfish
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong smee, i’d love to see a chair lift built in the tweed valley but i can see two senarios, it’ll take years in the planning and never go ahead due to build costs or council planning t0ssers or it’ll be built but go WAY over budget and will be cost prohibitive that very few people will use it.

Smee
    Free Member

Dogger – what is the canadian equivalent of Thornylea?

rs
    Free Member

Probably about 6 months, bike park is usually open may to octoberish, the first month or so might be a bit wet. You asked if there was more dust, I suspect whistler is dustier longer than innerleithan having spent 30 years in scotland, and one year in vancouver, we had a great summer here last year and all the locals were like this is shit, if it was I can’t wait for a good summer.

Smee
    Free Member

So is 6 months of Whistler better than 11.5 months of the Tweed Valley?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

And why do you think that TJ?

Because the economic case for it is utter rubbish. The figures they produced last year showed this. For example they had every downhiller in the UK visiting 20 times a year, thousands of tourists a week every week of the year going up to look at the view.

Total pie in the sky economics.

I repeat – the day it opens I’ll eat my crash helmet live on STW. You can remember this and take me to task up on it.

Smee
    Free Member

The economic case for the 7stanes was utter rubbish too. Who ever said that the thing had to be self funding? – there will be plenty of grants available to keep it running. There is no shortage of funding available for tourist projects in this area.

rs
    Free Member

So is 6 months of Whistler better than 11.5 months of the Tweed Valley?

Yes, even one week is better, don’t get me wrong though, I love the trails in the tweed valley.

Smee
    Free Member

Nonsense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – go look at the figures. You are talking multimillion pound subsidy not a few thousands *shakes head sadly*

Smee
    Free Member

I have looked at the figures.

How much of a subsidy do you think they would need per year once the thing had been built?

Garry_Lager

Not ridden Whistler, mores the pity, but aren’t we talking 1000+ m between top and bottom of the bike park? Even if you ran a chair lift to the very top of Minch moor, which would never happen, you’d top out at ca. 400m altitude gain. Not much to work with in relative terms.

It would still be f’in brilliant, mind. Just needs someone to put themselves above the noise and get it done.

rs
    Free Member

ok, i’ll stop winding you up smee, for the chairlift to be viable they’d be better sticking it in at glentress and sticking in a few more runs all the way down from around the top of spooky wood area. I think people view Innerleithen as more of a hard slog xc route or a full on downhill route, most riders i think prefer the type of trails at GT and would probably be more likely to pay for a chair that serviced those trails.

flatfish
    Free Member

at last, somebody who hasn’t been to whistler and is talking sense. pointing at> Garry_Lager

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – from my reading of the figures a couple of hundred thousand a year

druidh
    Free Member

rs – the development plans included more trails.

Smee
    Free Member

rs – the plan is to build a load more trails at inners, suitable for all types of riders.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh and any subsidy would depend on how much they could get away with charging. Knowing how much folk grudge even paying for parking, I’m not sure how much income could be generated this way.

nickegg
    Free Member

I can’t see how a chairlift in the tweed valley will ever happen.

A) The cost would be massive and would take forever to recoup.
    B) Maintenance costs are also high. Do you really expect it to turn a profit?
    C) Trail Maintenance: Trails would need a big dedicated maintenance crew working all year to stay on top of it!
    D) Ski resorts like Whistler can see tens of thousands of skiers/boarders on any one lift. Thats how they can justify the investment.

GW
    Free Member

Let Google images decide 😉

Whistler girls

Innerleithen girls

rs
    Free Member

fair enough guys, would be good to see more trails, how far up did the proposed lift go? still think GT would be a better option, its far more established. [dreaming]You could even turn all those flattish fields next to the road into a mini whistler village. always thought that would be a great location to build some little holiday cabins.[/dreaming]

BearBack
    Free Member

Whistler bike park can be dusty for late July, early August and early September. The valley XC stuff doesn’t suffer like the bike park though.

Pemberton is Uber dusty, squamish not too bad, ever.

We’ve had record snowfall in Squamish and Vancouver this year and consequently the trails are only just opening up. Normally in Squamish you can expect not to ride in Jan and Feb, but good to go year round aside from that.

Whistler is an entity that will never be equalled or rivalled. In fact, Whistler bike park management are so convinced of that, they established a consultancy company to help resorts develop summer operations. Whilst resorts could become as good as whistler in 10 years time through constant development (assuming viable business case and funding) but in that 10 years, Whistler will have developed so much further that they still wont be comparable destinations.
    Gravity Logic – the consultancy company formed [by Whistler Blackcomb] with a view to creating wide spread access to quality facilities bearing in mind that Whistler will always be the premier resort destination and they figure exposing people to resort riding in other locations will ultimately draw them to Whistler.

I’d love to see a lift assited riding facility in the UK along with an enormous trail network, but until a UK bike specific trail center that allows you access to 1,200m vert and 100+kms of lift serviced world class DH trails and 250+ kms of XC trails and a local bike club who’s membership is 10% of the local population exists, then I don’t feel there a fair case for comparison.

The bike park is currently 10 years in development and the local bike club has been sporting the development and maintenance of XC trails for 20 years.

Tourism Resource Consultants have been appointed and have begun work on the detailed
    feasibility study for the development of a purpose built downhill mountain bike park,
    including the option of a chairlift, at Innerleithen in the Tweed Valley, Scottish Borders
    FD. The team of consultants include Gravity Logic from Whistler in Canada.

Forestry Commission website..

and Innerleithen site

I hope it works out UK riders

tails
    Free Member

GW 😆

Bearback got the STATS, still if I ever become £££££££££££ i’ll make both you and TJ eat ya hats

Gary_C

Whistler bike park can be dusty for late July, early August and early September.

BearBack,so,not dusty in late August(last 2 weeks to be prescise)then?
    Thats when a group of us are coming over.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tweed Valley or Whistler..’ is closed to new replies.