Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • tv/sky/dvd connecting help please
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

After various Sky engineers have, without my knowledge, changed the way my perfectly good tv system was set up, things now don’t work. No point in asking Sky. The engineers came months ago and I didn’t realise the mess for a while. I did phone but was told that all that was the engineers being helpful! Not their problem. Don’t want them back anyway. Cowboys that don’t keep appoint :evil:ments
    Can anyone just tell me how theirs is set up?
    I want to run a Sky digibox and a DVD recorder through the tv.
    This did work.
    I do not want to have to keep switching AV channels to do so. I didn’t before the engineers got to it. (I only want to run the lot through 1 tv channel as I run no terrestrial tv but I suspect this is not linked anyway) DVD, TV and didgibox all have 2 scart sockets and RF plugs
    I can have the Sky working ok and the DVD working ok but not on the same AV’s and the DVD won’t record . It work fine the day it was messed with.
    Anyone want tell me simply what they have that works?

scaredypants

using scarts ?

set the skybox to use “scart control” on the picture output – whenever you turn it on, the telly should detect it & tune in.

you’d need a separate lead from sky box to the dvd recorder (scart or co-ax)

Scart from Digibox AV out to DVD Recorder AV in.

Scart from DVD Recorder AV out to TV AV1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattsccm
    Free Member

What about the aerials? The DVD book says to the sky box and the TV. The TV book doesn’t. They are both Sony!
    Forgot to say that the DVd will record if the telly is on but not off.
    I have not touched any settings since the cable swap and have never even heard of scart controls. They just seach and find each other.

scaredypants

Mostly guesses here:

What about the aerials? The DVD book says to the sky box and the TV. The TV book doesn’t. They are both Sony!

Telly just wants an aerial input – it doesn’t care where it comes from as long as it works. This will allow you to watch terrestrial tv while sky is off, or while the dvd records sky and you want to watch terrestrial. DVD on the other hand, wants the signal before it gets to the telly and so it’s shown as such in that book

Forgot to say that the DVd will record if the telly is on but not off.

Sounds like you don’t have an aerial lead into the dvd from the wall (into RF in), so it’s taking the signal from the telly somehow but that’s only passing through when it’s on (the connection to the telly should run from the dvd’s RF out socket). Is there another aerial lead you can run from wall to dvd input (RF in)?

I have not touched any settings since the cable swap and have never even heard of scart controls. They just seach and find each other.

SCART control is within the sky setup menu somewhere and it allows the sky box to demand the tv’s attention when it switches on. (Your dvd may also have this and if so – ours is an attention whore and “holds” the telly whenever it’s not on standby, so you need to go to standby before the sky can get a grip)

I’d run:

sat dish to sky box
    SCART from sky box to telly
    SCART from sky box (“video” scart socket)to DVD
    SCART from dvd to telly 2nd scart socket

aerial co-ax lead from wall to dvd
    (signal may pass to telly down scart anyway, if not use additional aerial coax lead from dvd to telly

this will allow scart switching by both sky and dvd if they both can do this and will also allow you to watch terrestrial telly while taping sky (or vice versa)

I THINK

Cougar

1) SCART from TV AV1 to “TV” on the Sky box.
    SCART from DVD-R to “Video” on the Sky box.

2) Aerial into DVD-R.
    RF lead from DVD-R RF Out to TV’s aerial socket.

3) Step away from the cables.

Why on earth anyone would want an aerial when they have Sky is beyond me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sky doesn’t work particularly well when it’s snowing or raining heavily. So sometimes a separate aerial in is useful

My setup:
    1) HDMI from Sky HD box to TV
    2) HDMI from Bluray player to TV
    3) optical out from TV to Bluray player
    4) aerial into TV

I had a DVD recorder but hadn’t recorded a thing with it since upgrading to Sky HD (with built in HDD recording
    So I took it out of the loop.
    Optical out from TV to Bluray (which is 5.1 btw) means anything on the TV can be sent through the bluray box to give surround sound

A much neater setup all round

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘tv/sky/dvd connecting help please’ is closed to new replies.