Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • TVs… What do I buy? Plasma, LCD or LED?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Our LCD TV is about to die, so we need to buy a new one. I’ve had a look about, and done some research – but I’m still none the wiser.

LED is just backlit LCD, and even just edge lit – so there’s no great benefit to LED over LCD if the image processing is poor.

Plasma is a different ball game as far as I can tell, as you can have up to 600mhz refresh rates, over 120mhz for LCD based tech.

The problem is… most plasma TV only display at 1024×768, which really isn’t even 720p.

Now…. is that going to make a difference when watching standard definition programmes? Or even just DVDs? Or will the reduced resolution make the screen look pixelated?

Is it just better to go with an LED or LCD that pushes out 1080p?

Cheers chaps,

Any help very welcome indeed 🙂

ricks

TiRed

You don’t say how big. As a good rule of thumb:

<42″ Best Samsung LCD in budget
    >=42″ Panasonic plasma

Resolution is less important than signal. My Pioneer plasma is 1024×768 and the picture, when fed BBC HD or a decent Blu Ray is stunning.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers DJ,

Will be 42″…. been thinking plasma may be a good option, it’s not used that much – just DVDs and the odd series…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I thought LED tv’s were just LCD with LED lights at the back…

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, thats what I said above 🙂 in theory, you’ll have better contrast and spread – but it depends on how the TV deals with it to get a decent uniform spread of light…

jon1973
    Free Member

I thought LED tv’s were just LCD with LED lights at the back…

I think that’s pretty much true, but it means they’re a lot thinner, lighter and more economical.

renton
    Free Member

I have seen 42″ full hd plasma tvs in currys!! panasonic or samsung all the way.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Samsung customer service is piss poor. Mates LCD packed up just out of warranty, they weren’t interested in helping at all

rickon
    Free Member

I have seen 42″ full hd plasma tvs in currys!!

Ah, but yes… they’re very expensive in comparison to full HD LCD / LEDs

TiRed

For 42″, I’d go for Panasonic plasma every time. Resolution and screen size is to TV’s what zoom length and megapixels is to cameras. Headline numbers that hide a lot! Panasonic bought out Pioneer, who made the best plasmas (but lost money on every one).

Buy it in John Lewis – you have a free 5yr warranty.

busydog
    Free Member

I’d go for Panasonic plasma every time

+1 Have had both Panasonic and Samsung Plasma sets and much prefer the Panasonic. IMO, the color is much richer in Plasma–but that is pretty much an individual preference and open to argument of course.

I have a friend who has a business selling & setting up high-end TV/Music/entertainment systems and something I learned from him is that almost all makers have 3 different levels of each set, be it Plasma, LCD, LED, etc. and different cost levels for each.
    Here in the US, most of the big-box stores like Best Buy, etc. carry the lower level (and some mid-level) in their stores due to price considerations, but one can order the upper level sets from them.

busydog
    Free Member

djaustin—that 5 year warranty is a great deal. Best I have found here in the US is 2 years–one can buy an extended warranty for not too much.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Most 42inch plasma are now 1080p.

Plasma for the win,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How does the power consumption stack up between the 2?

In the end of the day what actual HD feed are you going to put in it?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Samsung customer service is piss poor. Mates LCD packed up just out of warranty, they weren’t interested in helping at all

Samsung LCDs do this all the time.

Our’s has just packed up after 4yrs 8mths…a quick google brings back loads of similar cases.

Luckily for us we bought it from John Lewis and are covered by their 5yr warranty on TV’s. New LCD panel being fitted as we speak 🙂

I wouldn’t buy another Samsung LCD, but I would definitely recommend buying it from John Lewis for their extended guarantee!

FuzzyWuzzy

I got a nice sense of satisfaction after replacing the capacitors on my Samsung LCD and it coming back to life. I’ve go either Samsung LCD or Panasonic Plasma to, assuming OLEDs aren’t getting sorted any time soon (as in available and affordable in a decent size).

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Last I read it was about $2500 for a 20″ OLED. So still some way to go yet 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

So… narrowed it down to, cause I’m being a cheapass… I’ll give Amazon links to make it easy to compare. It’ll be for about 2 – 4 hours use a say at most, mainly films.

All the TVs are pretty much the same price, from different stores – about 330.

The broken TV is going in the torture chamber for the turbo trainers.

or

or

Any thoughts on the choices?

Cheers

Ricks

Jamie
    Free Member

£250 + 5 Year Warranty.

…today only.

rickon
    Free Member

Jamie – is that the right link? That’s 449…..

greeble
    Free Member

My Pioneer plasma is 1024×768 and the picture, when fed BBC HD or a decent Blu Ray is stunning.

makes sod all difference you’re not watching anywhere near full HD. the TV is down res’ing the HD feed from the Blu ray

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – is that the right link? That’s 449…..

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Jamie,

Looks a good deal – I’m a bit concerned as having no idea to what panel that is running though…. The online reviews are annoying, as they are just full of complaints of the sound quality – who buys a TV and uses the built in speakers?

crush83
    Free Member

My JVC LCD is still going strong at just over 6 years

Jamie
    Free Member

@Rickon,

If it’s crap don’t blame me, just saw the deal on HKUD 😛

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Samsung LCDs do this all the time.

Our’s has just packed up after 4yrs 8mths…a quick google brings back loads of similar cases.

my sisters Samsung that I recommended developed large sections of the screen that don’t show a picture just after the warranty ran out. I have seen others with faults.

So that is one reason not to recommend a Samsung in my book, the other is that their picture processing is very poor.

If you are not going to feed the set high quality HD all the time (where from, broadcast HD is not high quality HD imo) then you need to consider how good the sets electronics/scalers are.

I would look at Panasonic, or i thought the recent Sony’s were good – but you need a good warranty with a Sony…

TiRed

makes sod all difference you’re not watching anywhere near full HD. the TV is down res’ing the HD feed from the Blu ray

Of course it makes a difference from SD to HD on a satellite feed. The Blu Ray is less of an improvement over the (extremely nice) Sony DVD player I also use.

Quality of source is more important than screen resolution when discussing “HD ready” vs. HD screens.

TiRed

So… narrowed it down to, cause I’m being a cheapass

Of the three you list, I’d buy the Samsung. I’m afraid I don’t rate LG at all. We have a 32″ Samsung full HD LCD that, after calibration, has a very pleasing picture indeed.

Resolution is over-rated. Image processing is more important.

busydog
    Free Member

after calibration, has a very pleasing picture indeed

+1 Whether LCD or Plasma, a good calibration job can make a very noticeabel difference. Have to be careful to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing, ideally certified. Don’t know about in the UK, but a calibration here locally in the US costs about $250 or so.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Image processing is more important.

therefore, don’t buy a Samsung…

busydog
    Free Member

There is a website http://www.tweakmytv.com that will give you some setting adjustments the average owner can do and it makes a difference over the factory/in-box settings. They have settings for almost all makes/models and make an effort to keep it updated as new models come out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There is a website http://www.tweakmytv.com

that looks very interesting – cheers for the link!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘TVs… What do I buy? Plasma, LCD or LED?’ is closed to new replies.