Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • TV without aerial cable – possible
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MrsWCA wants. Small tv in the bedroom. Sounds easy until she adds – but I don’t want an aerial cable showing.

I could dig a channel in the brick wall, embed the cable and have a discreet socket but that is what I did last time. It was four days after replays tearing and painting the wall that she decided she wanted to rearrange the furniture and move the TV to. Different wall

Rather than having separate aerial sockets buried in every possible position she could want the TV I was wondering if I could get some kind of wireless aerial adapter to plug into th tv.

Googling wireless TV brings up dongles that will connect to h wireless network but will these give me normal tv? Will she be able to change channels with th remote control etc?

Any recommendations

mk1fan
    Free Member

see my reply to your other post.

Cougar

MrsWCA wants. Small tv in the bedroom. Sounds easy until she adds – but I don’t want an aerial cable showing.

“Pick one.”

(-:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iain1775
    Free Member

You need a new wife, one that doesn’t rearrange furniture and has more imagination than watching TV in bed 😉

Installing an aerial may be easier

br
    Free Member

Video sending from a hidden freeview (or Sky) box?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Say no to the tv ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mk1 – the other thread seems to have vanished.

Wife wants TV in bedroom so she can watch/listen while doing housework upstairs and reorganising furniture. Not for watching in bed.

Br – explain more. TV with free view built in will still need an aerial cable or a cable from the sky box etc. I don’t think it is the fact it is an aerial cable she objects too, more the fact there is a cable at all.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Watch something like catchup tv on a tablet over your wireless network? Throw in some Bluetooth headphones and the noise of housework won’t spoil viewing. Can stick it where she likes then…

winston_dog
    Free Member

What b r said.

Put a freeview box in a cupboard out of sight and then use a video sender which you can hide behind the TV.

You may need a remote extender if you want easy control.

stevew
    Free Member

If u have a wifi network setup get an Apple TV box, plug in where u want the tv and problem solved. Has all te usual channels as freebies and can also mirror anything from an iPad etc

Works a treat.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Just get a set top aerial and hide it behind the tv. Works fine for me during refurbs. Loads to choose frm. For satellite or cable you’ll need a video sender.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Can I remind you that TVs still needs a mains cable, so what difference is a second cable going to make?

mk1fan
    Free Member

To be fair, that’s not what the OP asked about.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can I remind you that TVs still needs a mains cable, so what difference is a second cable going to make?

Mains cable goes behind the chest of drawers to a plug. The aeriel has to come down from the ceiling and I want to avoid channeling the wall.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TV server on PC? She didn’t mention a PC there did she?

maccruiskeen

Disguise the aerial cable with a lighting feature 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

What sort of TV does she want to watch? 😉
    iPad/AppleTV would work for a load of stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

New slingbox should be coming out soon – go for broadcasting around the house.

br
    Free Member

Br – explain more. TV with free view built in will still need an aerial cable or a cable from the sky box etc. I don’t think it is the fact it is an aerial cable she objects too, more the fact there is a cable at all.

Ok, one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/hq-5.8ghz-video-sender-kit-510577

Then you’d need a freeview box that’s connected at one end (with a ‘magic’ eye) and then the other connected into the TV. Your remote is captured in the bedroom and sent to the freeview box.

But, tbh I’d feed the aerial in the wall…

StirlingCrispin

I’m trying something similar in a garage conversion.

Assuming you have Wifi and are happy with the main five channels

1) Raspberry Pi running XBMC. Can get live TV on BBC (and iplayer), ITV etc. Works with TV remote if you’re using an HDMI cable.
    2) Tablet or similar showing BBC iplayer (Blackberry Playbook does this for £129. Or you could spend heaps more going the Apple route!)
    3) Buy a smart TV and fit a wireless adaptor thing (TV + £50 for Wifi adaptor)

“Googling wireless TV brings up dongles that will connect to h wireless network but will these give me normal tv? Will she be able to change channels with th remote control etc?”
    Our Sony does BBC iplayer but not live TV. The remote works on this.

BenjiM
    MadPierre

Get her a tablet and use Sky Go or iPlayer or whatever…. she can watch it where she bloody likes then!

Personally I’ve just fitted a nice smart tv to our bedroom wall with hidden freesat and power cables (in the wall before decorating) and built in wifi for on demand. Luckily my wife is sensible about these things..

xiphon
    Free Member

Ha ha ha ha, brilliant reply

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘TV without aerial cable – possible’ is closed to new replies.