Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • TV with built-in Freesat/Freeview receiver question
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

How do you record on one of these?
    Can you get one which connects over (wireless) ethernet or USB to an external hard-drive of some sort? And are you stuck with recording what you’re watching, or can you get twin receivers, like a PVR box?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They don’t record unless it’s a very special TV* that has extra functionality (and a hard disk) built in. You’d need a PVR box for recording TV for watching.

* Have you got a specific model in mind

AndyRT
    Free Member

my new sony has a usb, and with a drive attached I can record shows, just like a pvr.

Limited functionality in regards to more complex commands, so no series searching etc. I’ll still need to buy a PVR, as most of the stuff I like never appears on C4 player….Boo!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

No specific model, just looking at finally catching up with last century’s technology and replacing the CRT and 4 grainy channels we presently have. (Its got to be freesat as freeview hasn’t been turned on round here)

AndyRT – can you record stuff whilst watching other channels?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Get one that has internet stuff on it. Sony is a good brand for this and if you hook it up to your internet connection you can get access to streaming TV/film via iPlayer, You Tube, Love Film etc. We do that – albeit via a Blu Ray player – and since most of what we want to watch is on BBC we tend to catch up on iPlayer rather than record stuff. Be careful though since not all shop staff know what internet services a TV has, and often the manufacturer’s web page can be misleading too. Blu Ray players are cheap now and sometimes they come free with the TV, so you could go that route too. They can act as media clients for stuff on your home PC too.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Not sure, not tried it. I doubt it’s got a second tuner. It’s a second telly so not had that issue. If you want the DB’s in recording whilst viewing then buy this gadgetry slice of heaven in a sleek black box

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers.
    I’d been thinking of a Humax PVR with twin receiver, linked (at some point in time) to a new TV, but a mate suggested its tider to have it all in one box which would be good, if it could do waht i want it to do.

Good point on the internet thing too. We watch most stuff on iplayer or 4OD, but hopefully with a PVR, there’ll be no need for that. Would be handy though.

Maybe I just need to go to Richer Sounds and hand over my credit card…

AndyRT
    Free Member

Currys will price match Richer sounds, plus 10% of the difference, which is usually quite a lot. I saved a whopping £85 squidoonies on my Sony TV!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Right, off to Currys then 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

but hopefully with a PVR, there’ll be no need for that.

The problem is with a PVR – or any recording device – is you need to know about a programme and when it is on to record it. With on demand TV it’s easier to cherry pick quality programmes regardless of what day and time they happened to be shown. I’ve not missed a recording device since getting internet TV.

AndyRT
    Free Member

erm…humax allows you to search for a show, then record the series, or search for other factors on the new ones I think. They have the same data as all the others, so modern pvrs are excellent ideas, and most definitely not a unique selling point for sky, virgin etc

rondo101
    Free Member

Do you still need 2 aerial leads to record from a PVR and watch something else at the same time? One to go to the PVR and one to go to the TV?

Our Panasonic tv can have a HDD plugged into it to use it either as a PVR or to pause live TV. I’ve not bothered yet as I’ve been reading conflicting reports of which HDDs are compatible.

JPcapel
    Free Member

In relation to the OP question.
    The USB port only allows recording off source.
    I have 2x 2011 model Panasonic TVs, which have freeviewHD & Freesat HD built it. They have the USB option to record, but its pretty rubbish in use.
    I still run a separate PVR set up for recording.
    I use a panasonic blu ray recorder with 3 tuners and 500GB harddrive.

I am about to move on a 12month old Humax Foxsat-HDR
    Has FreesatHD 3x tuners, so can record 2 shows and watch a third.
    Has 500GB hardrive.
    Is pretty much best PVR for freesat on the market.
    RRP £220 (source Amazon)
    To spare misery that is using ebay, I’d take £125 for a quick sale. This includes postage (standard parcels incl insurance).
    If your/anyone is interested, please email me:
    jamesparsons@halifax.co.uk

AndyRT
    Free Member

Do you still need 2 aerial leads to record from a PVR

Nope, just extra cable so you can run from the PVR to the TV, just like the old days with a video recorder

ir_bandito
    Free Member

james – pretty certain I’ll have it!
    I’ll email you later.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Great stuff.
    Will leave you to ponder and come back to me.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ygm James 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘TV with built-in Freesat/Freeview receiver question’ is closed to new replies.