Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • TV Wall Mounting and Hiding my cables
  • papaj
    Free Member

We just got a new PANASONIC VIERA TX-55DS500B Smart 55″ LED TV delivered
    and preferably want it on our chimney breast. Not sure how to get rid
    of the cables as it is a solid brick wall.

CaptainSlow

Mine is mounted on a solid wall. Cables go to the outside, run along the wall in a conduit then re-enter 😯

jekkyl

dont’t mount it on the wall, it’s too high and looks stupid.

tjagain

Chase out the plaster, fit conduit, repair the plaster

CaptainSlow

The downside of chasing into plaster is that if a cable fails or changes spec (hdmi for example).

I was not a fan of wall mounted TVs but the holes and mount were already there when we moved in and have found I like it where it is.

I’d either run external or build an false wall if you really want your TV wall mounted.

A false wall may not be a great option with the chimney? Is the chimney in use?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wot Jekkyl says.

jon1973
    Free Member

It only looks stupid if you mount it too high. The wall goes all the way from the floor to the ceiling, you know. 😉

tjagain

captainslow – that why I said put in conduit – so you can then thread cables thru the hidden conduit

hammyuk
    Free Member

Use a specific cable kit
    Have fitted a few before.
    Box on wall with every connector
    One cable goes back to the rest of the kit elsewhere

freeagent
    Free Member

It only looks stupid if you mount it too high. The wall goes all the way from the floor to the ceiling, you know.

+1

stumpy01

You can buy trunking that doesn’t look too ‘industrial’ to run the cables in up the wall.

This sort of stuff:

http://d-line-it.co.uk/products/products-at-home/larger-trunking

You can paint it I think, to blend in.

This place seems to have a few options:

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/cables-and-accessories/cables-trunking/

andysredmini
    Free Member

Wall mounted TV’s look much better than stood on a unit and as above they only look stupid if you mount it too high.

I had the same scenario as you when I mounted mine on our flush chimney breast. I core drilled a hole into the flu behind where the tv would be and put a couple of pieces of drain pipe with an elbow joint as a conduit. I have no plans of ever using the chimney again so it wasn’t a problem. I then built an mdf box/recess in the hole where the fire came from to mount the 4 double plug sockets and hide all the other wires. I also made a floating tv unit with space to hide all the wires and cur the surround sound wires into the wall. It took some doing but I don’t have a single wire on show now.

I probably have some pics if your interested.

sweepy
    Free Member

We had a telly mounted in the wall when we moved in. I initially wanted to get rid of it, but It keeps it out of the way.
    Telly is not something that’s very important to me so I don’t know if its too high or not, but its certainly lower than the picture when I go to the cinema.

jekkyl

Top of the tele should be just above your eyeline when you’re sitting down to watch it ideally.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ideally you want the telly mounted at eye level when you’re sat on the chair/settee you tend to watch it on. You want your viewing angle to be as normal as possible to the plane of the screen. Not ideal in having it mounted such that you have to look up.

If you can you want to bury some conduit or trunking in the wall – or behind it. And use as large trunking as you can as you will always want to shove more cables through it as you originally envisaged and the plug ends of cables tend to be quite large these days for half decent quality built cables.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ooh you wouldn’t like our telly then 🙂
    Mind there is no surface to put it on that would do that, and I want it out of the way. Its mainly a radio, and occasional changeable picture to be honest (Photo’s on the chromecast)

Sundayjumper

All chased in and fed through to where the rest of the kit lives.

We did that when we refurbed the lounge a few years ago, including all the speakers & power/HDMI to the projector. Never regretted it for a moment but the room was stripped bare and getting replastered [1] anyway so it was the right time to do it. I think I’d baulk at tearing up an otherwise decent room to do it.

[1] A previous owner has Artexed the walls 😯

Cougar

Interesting first post. What bike do you ride?

Are you a fan of artificial grass or canned meat products?

Drac

I can’t be the only I one who thinks the OP username reminds theme of this?

[video]https://youtu.be/CCo1Ffn9_u8[/video]

noltae
    Free Member

Panels look fab hung on the wall if you want to go for the Wetherspoons look . . You could get some beer mats to put on the coffee table to tie everything together . .

bforbertie

Wall mounted is great if not too high. Out of the way, no big cabinets/stands, safe(r) from small children and clumsy adults. I used this trunking, in black, nice aluminium quality and no hassle changing cables. You need decent width chased trunking if you want to feed HDMI cable with plugs attached (don’t think you can get after fit HDMI plugs?)
    https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/2942/fisual-dcm-deluxe-cable-management-white-single/

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

cable art?

stumpy01

I quite like the idea of making a feature of the cabling. Especially if you bought some fancy coloured cabling. Not sure the wife would like it though.

jon1973
    Free Member

Does look cool, but very bachelor-padish.

papaj
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I finally got 2 very nice]Mod edit] TV Installers to put it up. They are truly very knowledgeable.
    I should have put up my previous TV years ago.
    My old dresser is now redundant and so much more space 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Ideally you want the telly mounted at eye level when you’re sat on the chair/settee you tend to watch it on.

Not convinced this is the best rule to apply.

On our sofa we slouch, so my head is naturally pointing slightly upwards. If the TV were as low as my eyes I’d have to bend my neck all the time. WE have it about half way up the wall and it’s great.

geoffj

*applauds the op*
    #thatshowtospam

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    *applauds the op*
    #thatshowtospam

indeed

On our sofa we slouch, so my head is naturally pointing slightly upwards. If the TV were as low as my eyes I’d have to bend my neck all the time. WE have it about half way up the wall and it’s great.

+1

It’s lower than looking up at the cinema, and means the TV isn’t taking up a whole part of the room, it’s up and out of the way.

revs1972
    Free Member

Panels look fab hung on the wall if you want to go for the Wetherspoons look . . You could get some beer mats to put on the coffee table to tie everything together . .

Don’t forget to switch the sub titles on……and pour stale beer over the carpet for the sticky foot effect……and relocate your toilet as far away as possible

sweepy
    Free Member

Don’t forget to switch the sub titles on……and pour stale beer over the carpet for the sticky foot effect……and relocate your toilet as far away as possible

All good ideas, to really complete the effect I’ll make the Mrs stand outside with a fag

jon1973
    Free Member

All good ideas, to really complete the effect I’ll make the Mrs stand outside with a fag

Don’t forget to invite some random people into your living room to drink a couple of pints of Stella, while you have your breakfast.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘TV Wall Mounting and Hiding my cables’ is closed to new replies.