Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • TV Viewing Figures
  • PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Can anyone explain how the TV programme viewing figures are actually obtained ?

Cougar

It used to be done based on a sample of people who provided their viewing history, and then scaled up accordingly. I’ve half a memory that participants had a sort of set-top box affair that logged what was watched.

These days, I’ve absolutely no idea. I’d imagine that the likes of Sky could get figures from their boxes fairly readily if they wanted.

footflaps

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Smudger666

Cougar is spot on – I answered the door one evening in 1991 – lady collecting demographic data, two,weeks later got a follow up visit saying we fit a hole in their panels makeup and could they please fit a box to our tv and video, and pay for the tv licence and phone line rental.

Each of us had a profile sved to the box and we logged in with a remote when we entered or left the room. It downloaded the info at night. Guests could also be added on the fly so we used to mess with their figures by logging in as odd profiles to watch odd programmes – oh yes, it was a barrel of laughs in our flat!

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, comprehensively answered.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘TV Viewing Figures’ is closed to new replies.