• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • tv streaming again – xbox, PS3, bluray content
  • sadexpunk

dismissed all the little android boxes and wdtv live options, and fingers poised on the button about to buy a samsung blu ray player but then thought about my lads xbox 360 laying about upstairs doing nothing for a few days.

thought id try it out so connected it up, subscribed to free xbox live account, downloaded all the apps i wanted, netflix, iplayer, 4OD, youtube etc. it also picked up my plex server on laptop and started streaming my photos on tv which i like.

this is amazing i thought, its the answer! then i tried watching youtube, netflix, 4OD etc and they all need me to buy an Xbox 360 GOLD membership to watch these free apps!!! googled it and seems im right, they want £6 per month to use them. so thats out the window now.

i dont believe the PS3 does that, so question is, what will be the pros and cons of the PS3 against a dedicated bluray player?

id like access to the iplayer/netflix/youtube/4OD etc streaming apps (both do that), access my laptops photos, or at least be able to connect an external HD or usb stick with all photos on and slideshow them on tv too.
    obviously theyll both play dvd’s and blurays, and ive no interest in any games whatsoever.
    id also need the unit to pick up wifi from another room, no wired options.

if theyre both around the same price(ish) what would be the differences for me to consider?

thanks

kimbers

I use my PS3 for all of that stuff and yeah dont have to pay for any of the functionality

and the ps3 lets you view stuff on the computer over wifi, pictures, music movies etc

cant see any downsides compared to a dedicated bluray player

sadexpunk

i assume text input would probably be just as difficult with either, yep? either a games controller or a remote control? no phone apps or anything thatd let you input text with a proper keyboard?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    WackoAK
    Free Member

I was in the same situation as you – was looking to get a BluRay player but decided that the PS3 was a better option.

It’s a lot more flexible than a dedicated BluRay player and is wireless out the box (probably not the case for the BluRay Player).

…and you’ll end up playing GTA 😀

sadexpunk

…and you’ll end up playing GTA 😀

i can assure you i wont 😀

been googling and seems there used to be a little device called play tv thatd allow you to record tv to the PS3 hard drive. doesnt seem readily available now. have you heard of it or know if you can still do that?

i assume for same function id have to have a pvr type bluray player at double the price.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

A mate of mine has been using a PlayTV with his PS3 for years. He hasn’t had a bad word to say about it. Don’t think they still sell them but I expect you could find on on eBay.

sadexpunk

yep, looks like youre right, theres one or two on ‘the ‘bay’.

so….. looks like my choice is PS3 and possibly a play tv for recording tv, or a standalone bluray player and no tv recording (unless i doubled the price and went pvr bluray)

i should just mention i do already have a dvd recorder with its own tuner, but was hoping to get a device that does everything and minimise the amount of units in my setup. i spose its no biggie to have the dvd recorder still connected by scart to AV1 and the bluray/PS3 to HDMI is it? only problem with that is the aerial as theyd both need seperate feeds wouldnt they?

appreciate a bit of advice on that.

thanks

bombjack
    Free Member

If you have an Iphone you can link this to your youtube account and use it as a remote, far easier for searching than the PS3 controller.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ps3 is terrible for browsing, android boxes are miles better, mk808 in particular(although I guess that’s no use to you, since you discount them for no particular reason?).

Drac

You can get a remote for the PS3 and you can also use a USB keyboard plugged or a blutooth one.

sadexpunk

If you have an Iphone you can link this to your youtube account and use it as a remote, far easier for searching than the PS3 controller.

is there an android app for this too? (htc user)

You can get a remote for the PS3 and you can also use a USB keyboard plugged or a blutooth one.

bluetooth keyboard sounds good….

ps3 is terrible for browsing, android boxes are miles better, mk808 in particular(although I guess that’s no use to you, since you discount them for no particular reason?).

oh no…. dont say ive got to consider those again!! 🙂
    id discounted them after looking into their different versions, raspberry pi, wdtv etc and was told id be better off waiting for the next gen of android boxes. but theres no sign of anything newer and i heard these boxes can be a bit hit and miss.
    have you got any experience of them? i assume you browse by phone app or pc then yep?
    and will they do all of what ive asked?

thanks

bigblackshed

Use a PS3 for blueray and streaming. It’s fine and works well. Not tried the recording route, CBA TBH.

Browsing t’internet on it is slow and tiresome. Use the computer instead.

midlifecrashes

Ta for the heads-up on the PlayTV module. Didn’t know they existed.

johnners
    Free Member

YouTube’s official Android app lets you pair the devices, so you can browse on the portable, hit play and it plays on the PS3.

If you’ve more than one device needing an arial input you can just loop-through or use a splitter, I’ve connected PlayTV, a DVD recorder and a YouView box simultaneously like this. PlayTV is a decent recorder, but only sd (if that matters to you). The recorded files work out pretty big, approx 1Gb per hour. It also records radio as MP3, which lets you annoy delight your friends with the Archers Omnibus on road trips.
    My PS3 streams from my NAS no problem.

Web browsing is, indeed, an arse but I’ve not tried it with a keyboard.

The bundled slideshow app is competent but pretty basic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

oh no…. dont say ive got to consider those again!!
    id discounted them after looking into their different versions, raspberry pi, wdtv etc and was told id be better off waiting for the next gen of android boxes. but theres no sign of anything newer and i heard these boxes can be a bit hit and miss.
    have you got any experience of them? i assume you browse by phone app or pc then yep?
    and will they do all of what ive asked?
    thanks

POSTED 2 HOURS Atbh whoever said to wait on the next generation is probably correct, as they could be doing with a wee bit more power. But in saying that I had the ps3 setup up for streaming etc for years. The mk808 pisses all over it. It’s the same as a phone but on your tele, so browsing is very decent..

All i’m going to say about the android boxes is “showbox”. I’ll let you figure out what that means all on your own! 😀

Cougar

Just googled, seems there’s an mk809 superseding the 808 now.

Interesting reading, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113021

seosamh77
    Free Member

Don’t know much about the 809 tbh, never really looked into, but that thread was started last year, so i’d probably imagine it’s still last generation(I don’t think the android box will update all that quick tbh).

but when I say the mk808 lacks power, it’s really just ram it sticks on for multitasking at point, particularly when it’s trying to update the system, if you just wait until it’s done that it does run great.

ps I put the custom rom finless 1.7 on mine, netflix and iplayer wouldn’t work on the stock rom.

and also, if you do decide to go for one, get a wirless keyboard and mouse, don’t be tempted by one of those small keyboard track pad combo’s they are rubbish.

one last thing, the rom I put on is android 4.1()came with a crap version of 4.2, I don’t think any of these boxes are running, 4.3/4.4 yet. when they do I think they’ll start flying.

Anybody know anything about those miracast boxes you can get, quite like the idea of mirroring my phone screen on the tele(If I could do that I wouldn’t bother about any other box.)

sadexpunk

seosamh, i googled ‘showbox’ and also looked in the play store, but it looks like its unavailable now.

btw, internet browsing is of no interest to me on the telly, im quite happy sticking to the laptop for that.

do these android boxes have all the streaming apps? iplayer, 4OD, youtube, netflix etc? ive looked at so much stuff just lately i cant remember which have liited apps 🙂

thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ye you’ll get all the streaming apps and more, as for shoebox, you’ll need to find the apk file, you’ll not get it in the play store.

sadexpunk

well, looks like ill be sorted soon 🙂

PS3 slimline, 320Gb in the local sales ads for £100, should be picking it up next week. and ordered myself a play tv from ebay for £20 for tv recording.

so hopefully thatll cover me totally for what i need. ill report back when im up and running with a progress report.

thanks a lot for all your help 🙂

Drac

Good choice Sir.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘tv streaming again – xbox, PS3, bluray content’ is closed to new replies.