Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TV / Soundbar connections.
  • dandax1990
    Free Member

Alright guys, Just bought a sound bar for the bedroom and just trying to work out the best way to connect it all.

The sound bar has the following inputs, TV R/L, AUX, Optical and COAX, 1 of each with cables supplied.

I have a PS4 and a Virgin Tivo box, Both of which have Optical outputs but I only have the 1 optical input.

My TV Has a L/R output and SPDIF output.

Am I right in guessing SPDIF is high quality like Optical just different connections? If so, Can I use either a SPDIF to Optical cable or a splitter/adapter so I can run the TV to the Optical input so the sound from the PS4 and Virgin box will run to the TV then to the sound bar via the SPDIF – Optical.

Or would I be better off getting an Optical splitter/box to run the PS4 and Virgin box both to that splitter/box and then a single cable to my sound bar?

P.s if you’re looking for a cheap sound bar, you can’t go wrong with the Bush 150 watt Bluetooth one which is the one I have. Any help is appreciated, Cheers.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

May not help but mine is wired with hdmis into the tv, then optical from tv out to sound bar, so whichever source is being watched supplies the sound to the sound bar. May be able to do the same with your setup with different inputs into the tv?

dandax1990
    Free Member

Bit of head scratching going on, Knew I should of had that coffee this morning.

Also just read the TV manual and the TV RCA is input only, not output so can’t connect the TV through that.

Flaperon

All inputs into TV via HDMI, then TV audio out from SPDIF to sound bar coax connection.

SDPIF / Optical exactly the same underneath so you can get converters for less than £20 if really desperate.

squaremonkey
    Free Member

Mine seemed fairly straight forward just by connecting it to the TV via an optical cable. I have both a PS4 and Tivo box plugged into the TV and the soundbar just plays whatever is going through the TV.

Only issue I have is that dialogue in films etc is often far to quiet for all of the other sounds so I end up using the TV speakers as well. This sometimes is the only way I can get the dialogue volume to a suitable level.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Got it set-up like you said Flaperon, PS4/Virgin box to TV via HDMI and then SPDIF to Sound bar via COAX but will only play audio when watching my Virgin box so I’ll have to keep my PS4 connected via Digital Optical.

Oh well, Digital will be better sound quality for the Blu-Rays and Battlefield 4? 😀

Think I was in numptey mode for a while there, Doesn’t help trying to connect all these cables whilst I have this little ‘issue’ lol I’ll blame this on the codeine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TV / Soundbar connections.’ is closed to new replies.