Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • TV size – from 42 to 55 or 60
  • Earl
    Free Member

Dad’s had a 42″ telly for a few years now. He visually impaired so wants to get something bigger so its easier to read the sub titles.

The local shops have 55″ on display but none have 60″. Visually how much bigger is 60 than 55? i.e. is it omg bigger?

sharkbait
    Free Member

5″?

I was under the impression that TV size was partly determined by how far from the TV the viewer was. If it’s too big it’s uncomfortable/tricky watching – think sitting on the front rows at the cinema.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

TV screens are measured diagonally, I can’t be arsed to do the math, but you could even if it means drawing it out on some card/bit of your floor 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrP

well, 5 is the hypotenuse.
    We ‘all’ know the 3..4..5.. rule.
    Hence, it’s 3 inches taller, and 4 inches wider.

DrP (Amazingly, I’m not a doctor in mafematicks….)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Now we’ve got HD the whole rules about how far to sit from the screen has gone out of the window. HD means you can either get a bigger screen or sit closer to the one you’ve got. I’d say go for the biggest you can reasonably fit in the space it’s going. They soon shrink and feel smaller and you’d rather be in a position of wishing you had a smaller tv than a bigger one (well I would anyway).

rene59
    Free Member

Problem with a huge telly is that you can lose the atmosphere of watching a movie in the dark/lights off, as they are so damn big they light up the whole room.

Earl
    Free Member

There are various sites that show the size difference but its still hard to visualise. The price difference is around £400 – 55″ being the sweet spot for large tellys at the moment.

Right now with a 42″ dad sits about 2 foot away to read the subtitles.

toys19
    Free Member

well, 5 is the hypotenuse.
    We ‘all’ know the 3..4..5.. rule.
    Hence, it’s 3 inches taller, and 4 inches wider.

DrP (Amazingly, I’m not a doctor in mafematicks….)

Good job too!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Was just thinking the same toys! Although I am assuming wide-screen TV. Can you even get a60″ 4:3 TV?

DrP

Oh yeah…
    Forgot it’s unlikely to be 4:3 ratio any more….
    Well, the maths still stands, albeit not for this particular case…..!

DrP

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Now we’ve got HD the whole rules about how far to sit from the screen has gone out of the window.

not quite true.

If you have a 1080P screen and only feed it bluray quality material then there will be no upscaling, so that statement is true.

But any broadcast quality HD will be upscaled, even if you have a HD ready screen as these are 768 vertical pixels and obviously 720P doesn’t provide enough pixels.

Any upscaling means that there will be artifacts left on the screen, and therefore you are very dependent on the quality of the upscaling processing in the TV, and if your viewing distance is too small you will see those nasty artifacts.

For someone with dodgy eyes though this isn’t so much of an issue.

scaredypants

Oh yeah…
    Well, the maths still stands,…..!

don’t think it does 😳

Tracker1972
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    Oh yeah…
    Well, the maths still stands,…..!

don’t think it does

The 3, 4, 5 triangle thing is correct, just misapplied 🙂

oldboy
    Free Member

SD looks awful on my 55″ TV, which I bought for watching Blue ray and broadcast HD content. The GF watches her trash TV programmes on it in SD and couldn’t care less about picture quality 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

I don’t think a bigger telly will really help, unless it’s a CRT and you are going to a LCD. 2 feet is very close already.

unovolo
    Free Member

If his eyesight is that bad a larger TV isnt going to make that much difference , the size difference in the subs is going to be marginal at best.

If he is visually impaired you may be better switching on the Audio Description setting ,that way he can concentrate on the screen whilst receiving a running commentary of whats happening.

Subtitles are more relevant for the hearing impaired.
    Failing the above you may want to look into getting him a TV magnifier
    LINKY
    At £57 a fair bit cheaper than a new TV.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘TV size – from 42 to 55 or 60’ is closed to new replies.