Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • TV rental.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Does anyone rent stuff like TVs and kitchen appliances anymore?
    Where’s good?

jon1973
    Free Member

Interesting one. I remember Radio Rental when I was a kid, but haven’t noticed any where that rents for years. There must a few independent places about.

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to rent a washing machine, perhaps on middleclass world in need to say lease, from Granada.
    I reckon that with the rapid developments in technology 10-15 quid a month over three years would buy you a decent TV or allow you to lease a decent TV, kind of makes sense to me.

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

Really? People rent TV’s? You can pick them up free from the tip or gumtree and that. I’ve thrown a massive CRT down the tip because I couldn’t find anyone who would take it away for me.

maccruiskeen

I think my folks still rent their telly, if they don’t they did til very recently. I think with tellys its only the higher end stuff thats likely to be rental any more. My folks hire ones of late have all been Bang and Olufsen. Not becuase they like fancy tellys, they’ve just always been in the mindset to rent them and in the end the B&O ones were the only ones left to choose from.

The weekly pay up shops like Brighthouse (bastards) have taken the place of the rentals for the lower end of the market, which is a shame as their pricing is criminal and their customers would really be better served by renting.

donsimon
    Free Member

@paulosoxo

And how does that get me people’s personal experiences? I think that was funny the first time I saw it, but I can’t remember as it was a long time ago.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Really? People rent TV’s? You can pick them up free from the tip or gumtree and that. I’ve thrown a massive CRT down the tip because I couldn’t find anyone who would take it away for me.

If I wanted a old piece of crap I’d use one of the three CRTs I’ve got in the garage roof space… But I’m looking to rent a bit of TV bling.

samuri
    Free Member

People rent bling tellys? You can buy them for a few hundred quid. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

People rent bling tellys? You can buy them for a few hundred quid.

Or even rent them. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I rented a TV in.. ooh.. 2000.. the service was dying on its arse then, I had to drive a fair way to take the thing back. I paid much more than the value of the TV too. It’d be even worse now with such cheap tellies around.

maccruiskeen

Really? People rent TV’s?

I actually wonder whether people should again, back in the day people were keen to rent things like VHS recorders because they were so unreliable, renting gave the peace of mind that the jiggered machine would be taken away and replaced (or usually upgraded) every few months.

TVs could be just as bad, as student i had two tvs on top of one another, one with a working picture, one with working sound.

Then CRTs and VHSs got really reliable – arguably the reason VHS players were pulled from sale wasn’t because they were being superceded by DVD, but because the players had become so reliable that nobody was buying new ones.

Today LCD and Plasma TVs are shockingly short-lived and cranky and yet people are junking prefectly good CRTs and buying them. I’m more than happy to hold on to my CRT tv, and if it ever does fall over I’ll get another, I wouldn’t spend my own cash on a flat screen. I throw away enough nearly-new broken flat screens at work.

molgrips
    Free Member

CRTs are actually massively awkward bits of furniture – I think people are junking them to get a bigger better picture and get some of their living room back.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t like bumping threads, but let’s see if there’s anything to add from the day time crowd.

andytherocketeer

I have 2 CRTs. One has lasted from 1991 and is still going. The other lasted from 2004 until about 2008. Now it’s using up 1 corner of the living room until I cba to take it to be recycled.

Think the parents still rent a (CRT) TV, although no idea why. Used to be handy when a guy could come fix it for free when it was on the blink, or get a replacement after so many years if it gave up completely.

No idea who does rental now for LCD/Plasma, and even if they did, I’d compare the monthly rental vs monthly instalments on a 2yr 0% finance or something.

Drac

arguably the reason VHS players were pulled from sale wasn’t because they were being superceded by DVD, but because the players had become so reliable that nobody was buying new ones.

😯

Today LCD and Plasma TVs are shockingly short-lived and cranky and yet people are junking prefectly

I suppose arguably so people buy new ones is it?

I’ve had my Plasma now for 6 years and it’s never gone wrong, I don’t class that as shonky.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Today LCD and Plasma TVs are shockingly short-lived

Dunno, the cheep samsung one in the living room has no sound (no biggie, AV reviever deals with that anyway).

The cheep sainsburys one in the bedroom does its job perfectly well too.

Parents sony has laster a while, they must have been averageing 2 years to a CRT for quite a while before that one.

donsimon
    Free Member

No idea who does rental now for LCD/Plasma, and even if they did, I’d compare the monthly rental vs monthly instalments on a 2yr 0% finance or something.

I suppose the real question is about second hand values as they cost so little to buy.

totalshell

rental tvs are still a hottie many companies offering coin operated lcd/ plasmas etc. they are not cheap at about 50p an hour but if you have no cash and cant get credit
    likewise loads of people offering washing machines tumble dryers fridge freezers on weekly rental ( paid weekly, immediate re-po pluscosts if unpaid they do not mess around and go in all guns blazing)

grantway
    Free Member

In London I have seen a chain of shops called Bright House

warton
    Free Member

i used to, but you used to get crappy reconditioned CRT TVs. so instead I bought a LCD, paid it off over 12 months. renting TVs and the like is a total waste of money

iDave
    Free Member

I have a big TV you can have DS – not flat screen type but it works and you can watch telly on it. Even has a remotely controlled system and implement.

grantway
    Free Member

If your in London I have a spare DVD player and VHS video you can have for nothing
    All with remote controls

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would you rent even an expensive TV?

I’ve just got 14 months interest free on an M&S credit card, it would be easy to bang, say £1400 on it and pay £100 a month off, and when I’ve done I’d actually own the thing!

donsimon
    Free Member

iDave and grantway, thanks for the kind offers but not necessary as I have a couple of CRTs knocking around here.
    Clearly things have changed in the last few years and people would prefer to own a TV that won’t keep up with the technological advances a will be worth very little within a couple of years.
    PeterPoddy, I’d rather pay 50 quid per month and have the latest TV with all the latest features and no repair costs that I can change more or less when I want to.

Coin operated? You’re having a laugh, aren’t you?

Time for a rethink. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy, I’d rather pay 50 quid per month and have the latest TV with all the latest features and no repair costs that I can change more or less when I want to.

Is this you?

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Why?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘TV rental.’ is closed to new replies.