Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • TV licence people – entering the house?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

no rights of entry and the only evidence they can ghave for this woud be an admission by you anyway
    Had a few issues as I used to not own a TV and had b & w for a while

the Black & white one th einspector said he had never ever turned up at someoens house and seena B & w tv before

When I did not have one and they asked why apparently
    Take a wild **** guess

will be deemed insufficient information
    tellin gthem tv is shit [ poo but ruder] is ok
    HTH

BBC is wrth the money IMHO but it would be be very easy to avoid paying and nigh on impossble to get caught unless you admitted to it

D0NK

although the occupier doesn’t necessarily have to be informed of what’s about to happen.

I didn’t think you sent around a note saying “we will be here at 7:30 tomorrow coz you’re suspect of being a very naughty boy” but wondering whether you had to “inform hq” or otherwise log it before bringing out that very heavy door knocker.

it would be be very easy to avoid paying and nigh on impossble to get caught unless you admitted to it

unless you let your mrs answer the door when you aren’t there to monitor her (or you didn’t inform her you’ve been trying to gyp the bbc)

thegreatape
    Free Member

In short, no. In reality, a lot of the time a supervisor would be told first, so they know what you’re doing, and it would get logged on the incident record, but there’s no official request or anything like that that must be made.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Gas companies do actually require permission to access a private property. If for instance, someone runs up debts and doesn’t pay and also won’t allow the gas company access to remove the meter then they can apply for a warrant in court to access the property with a locksmith without prior warning to get the meter out.

TheSanityAssassin

I used to work evenings as a TV Licensing Officer, here’s how it worked:

The leg work was subbed out to one of the debt collection agencies that I still work for. It is batched in postcodes and I had a preferential list of the postcodes that I would like the work allocated to me – all in the same town. This obviously meant that I covered the same areas on a regular basis (crucial point).

TV Licences are ‘attached’ to addresses NOT names and it is the missing and mis-matched addresses that create the calling lists when cross-referenced to the address database. ie, if an address on the database does not have a licence match then that address then becomes targetted. This can be for a variety of reasons and that is why a visit is made.

As a Licensing Officer it was my job to call at an address and find out why there was no licence registered, and also ‘sell’ a licence should one be required. Often the house would be unoccupied, sometimes demolished. I was paid a small fee (25p per house I think) for logging this information. If the door was answered and the occupier had a valid licence, but had recently moved in and not informed TVL, then I was paid a fee (£3.50 I think) to record the info so that the database could be updated.

If the door was answered and a licence was required (if you call in an evening when most households have the telly on it’s obvious they’re watching and the vast majority admit so there and then) then I had a range of options to sign them up to. Weekly payment cards, monthly payment cards, cheque, cash (yes really, folk used to hand me £125 in cash quite regularly!!) or a direct debit. Each option earned me a fee of between £7.00 and £11.00, with a DD being most lucrative. In the vast majority of cases I would come away from these houses with a ‘sale’ as folk filled their pants when they found a TVL bloke stood on their doorstep.

Now, moving on to the crux of the OP’s original question, no, I had no right of entry at all. Whenever I came across a property where the occupier claimed to have no TV then I would always politely ask for a quick look round downstairs to confirm this. Again, most folk were happy for me to do so and it took less than 10 seconds to poke my head round a couple of doors then be on my way again. If denied access I’d walk away, no problem. However, the knock-on effect of each scenario were quite different as I had codes to note how the visit went on my paperwork.

In the case of those that let me in, all the threatening letters stopped and they stopped being inundated with TVL mail. Also, whenever that address subsequently appeared on my list I noted that I’d checked inside, and that then stopped the mail for another extended period. I’d knock on the door maybe once a year and the householder was usually grateful that by doing my job their ‘hassle’ had dramatically reduced or stopped altogether.

In the case of those that refused (politely or otherwise) the mail didn’t stop. In fact it probably increased. The address then became focussed on and Enforcement Officers (with warrants) started to take an interest. I used to scan the ‘Court in Brief’ section of the local paper and plenty of familiar names/addresses regularly appeared with fines for being caught with a telly and no valid licence.

For what it’s worth, I’d say that you’ve more to gain by inviting the chap to have a quick peek inside. The chances are he’s on commission and trying to get round as many houses as possible to earn a wage (and not really interested at all in your lifestyle) and that you’ll get a lot less of the kind of mail that seems to incite so much vitriol and high blood pressure on here.

jota180
    Free Member

Gas companies do actually require permission to access a private property.

I was thinking more to responding to a gas leak

Cougar

TSA – interesting reading, thanks for posting.

petergriffin
    Free Member

“The address then became focussed on and Enforcement Officers (with warrants) started to take an interest”

An “enforcement officer” is no different to a “TV Licensing officer”
    They use the words Enforcement and officer to scare the public into thinking they have some sort of legal power. They have no right of entry into your house whatsoever. A warrant can only be obtained from a court if the TV licensing can prove that there is reasonable grounds to believe you need a tv licence. Then the police have to visit with the warrant. Of the ones that do get fined,nearly all after admitting thay are using a tv and do not have a licence only get a couple of hundred quid fine.
    I have been getting letters for 3 yrs to a property that doesn’t even have a house, only stables. They are just the same recycled ones, designed to scare you..
    The link to the BBCtv licensing site posted earlier in thresd is full of usefull info.
    http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Also they haven’t changed the rules, its never been the case that you need a licence simply to own a TV (well for at least the past thirty years or so anyhow).

xiphon
    Free Member

You don’t need a license to own a TV, as they have ‘other’ uses than receiving terrestrial TV … xbox, ps3, media centre, etc.

timc
    Free Member

Do you not have to pay a TV license to watch I-Player?

xiphon
    Free Member

Nope, provided it’s not ‘live’ like News24

Hence they don’t make many shows available until they have finished broadcasting on TV.

Sherlock, for example.

Cougar

No.

(Discussed earlier on this thread)

timc
    Free Member

wonder if that will change, seems odd

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just to add to the SA’s post about you having more to gain by letting the man in for a nosey. You do for a period of time and then, maybe 6-12 months later, all the regular red threatening letters just start again.

xiphon
    Free Member

The BBC are considering charging for iPlayer.

Cougar

It’s like they want people to stop using it.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s probably because people won’t let them in the house without them having to pay for warrants and police to accompany them, this has to be paid for by someone. 🙄

mudmonster
    Free Member

I once refused them entry and they said they would come back with a warrant.

Cougar

Did they?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it wrong? Who cares.

Yes. Me. Watching it without paying for it makes you little better than someone who does any petty crime really.

MrOvershoot

OK anyone know why if I buy an HDMI lead in Sainsburys and use a self service checkout it says “approval needed” the on screen guff says something about a TV license???

So I use my laptop onto a projector with an HDMI lead, what part of that needs a TV license??

coffeeking
    Free Member

Laptop has the potential to receive live broadcasts, making it eligible for TV license (though that’s a little blurry due to it being portable, but i think it still needs to be covered by a house license). All sellers of live-broadcast-receiving equipment are legally bound to supply the address of the buyer to the TVL people IIRC. You just don’t know it’s happening more often than not.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Why are so many on here paranoid about letting some one in their house for a 30 second check? Is STW full of nutters with bodies hanging from meat hooks in the living room and forests of cannabis plants in the back bedroom?
    To me it’s simple, no live TV broadcasts or recording equipment for live broadcasts then no need for a licence.
    Any one who is caught cheating should be sent round to a STW forum members house for hanging on a meat hook.
    I think I may have done a Clarkson 🙂
    Just realised a slight flaw in my plan as the licence dodger won’t be allowed into the house for hanging. Back to the drawing board.

spooky_b329

So has there been any ‘freedom of information’ type request to find out what percentage of households claim to not watch broadcast TV? There must be a lot that genuinely don’t watch, but there must be many more Hora types that just don’t pay cause they don’t want to. (until he got caught)

hugor
    Free Member

Watching it without paying for it makes you little better than someone who does any petty crime really.

Really? Your broadcasting stuff all over the country and its wrong for people to receive it?
    If you want me to pay for it stop sending it to me please!

EDIT I have a licence by the way I just disagree with the concept of it and the way they go about it.
    If I didn’t have better things to worry about I wouldn’t pay it either.

jota180
    Free Member

Why are so many on here paranoid about letting some one in their house for a 30 second check?

Why are the TVLA unable to take your word for it?

or simply use their ‘detector vans’ 😆 to give them a definitive answer?

Bear
    Free Member

Surely if you watch I player then you should pay a fee? After all it is the fee that provides for that service?

And yes the gas emergency service can enter without your permission if they suspect a major breach of the gas safety regs, such as a leak, or to vent your property following a leak in an adjacent property. Mind you for a leak they would probably just dig the road up and cap you off. And shame they didn’t gain access to all the flats to me locally following a leak outside. Couldn’t get into one of them, heating switched on in the evening and boom…….

Solo
    Free Member

TSA.

Good post.

and that you’ll get a lot less of the kind of mail that seems to incite so much vitriol and high blood pressure on here

This pretty much perfectly sums up my point as it describes the mindset of the TVLA as thus:

” We are the TVLA.
    We hold records on your address.
    You will prove to us, to our satisfaction.
    That you’re not a Perp.
    If you do not help us.
    We will bombard you with mail.
    We will bombard you with inspectors.
    You will live in fear of being found out and fined.
    Give us what we demand, or otherwise…. “

It gets my back up and for that reason I refuse to assist and comply.

Ask nicely and I’ll do whatever I can to help anyone.
    Threaten or try to intimdate me ?, and its the Archers salute from me.

Solo
    Free Member

Surely if you watch I player then you should pay a fee? After all it is the fee that provides for that service

I don’t think anyone here is asking to get services for free.
    Seems to me we’re all in agreement that if you watch it, you should pay for it.
    Whether thats the cinema, TV, the theatre, etc, etc.

But, the TVLA have earnt themselves a particularly unliked position in this country for the way they set about collecting their revenue.
    imo.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Anything you use to receive live broadcasts needs to be licenced. If the broadcast is delayed such as on IPlayer etc then you don’t need a licence no matter what you choose to watch it on. It really is as simple as that!

martinhutch

I imagine the next step in the evolution of iPlayer is giving people who log their licence details access to ‘live’ broadcasts of content (Sherlock, Dr Who etc), and delaying the catch-up function so it won’t appear for at least 24 hours.

Cougar

Why are so many on here paranoid about letting some one in their house for a 30 second check?

Nothing to do with paranoia, it’s the principle of the thing. Why do they need to check? Because they think you’re lying. Guilty until proven innocent. Bugger that.

sadmadalan

My personal view is if you consume any BBC output (website, TV, Radio, iPlayer etc) then you should have a licence. Why should you not contribute towards the BBC? If you don’t use any BBC output then fine, otherwise get a licence. For the amount of output, it is cheap.

(If you get a licence then the TVLA is not an issue – assuming that their records are accurate)

Regarding iPlayer charging. There are moves afoot within the BBC to make available all their archive that you can download and keep. As such there will be costs that the BBC incur (royalty payments, IT costs, etc) and the BBC are planning to charge for this. Given the wealth of information that the Beeb has this is not unreasonable.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don’t need a TV licence because i don’t have a TV. Perfectly happy to watch a few bits on i player and listen to the radio without buying a licence. If BBC chose to charge for iplayer then i’d probably not bother with it. Likening me to a petty thief when I’m using something that’s freely available just proves you have issues 🙂

pypdjl
    Free Member

My personal view is if you consume any BBC output (website, TV, Radio, iPlayer etc) then you should have a licence. Why should you not contribute towards the BBC?

That’s not how the system works though, it’s quite possible to legally be required to have a licence even though you don’t consume any BBC output.

Solo
    Free Member

My personal view is if you consume any BBC output (website, TV, Radio, iPlayer etc) then you should have a licence. Why should you not contribute towards the BBC? If you don’t use any BBC output then fine, otherwise get a licence. For the amount of output, it is cheap.

My personal view is that you should read the thread 😉
    AFAIK, nobody is asking to watch the Beeb for free.

Reading the thread ?.
    FAIL

sadmadalan

nobody is asking to watch the Beeb for free

Some people have said that they don’t have a licence but watch BBC output (BBC 24 hour news, iPlayer) – in that case that are watching teh Been for free. Or have I missed the point.

Likening me to a petty thief when I’m using something that’s freely available just proves you have issues

I am not accusing anyone of being a petty thief. The point that I was making (badly) is that someone has to pay for the Beeb and that in the UK we choose to do this via the licence fee. The BBC is not free, most of us pay for it.

The whole issue of having to have a licence if you don’t consume any BBC output is a tough question. The alternatives do not make good reading.

I do realise that my original posting did wander off the main thread, however others have also wandered. I was responding to those who said that they didn’t have a licence but watched the BBC via iPlayer.

D0NK

Some people have said that they don’t have a licence but watch BBC output (BBC 24 hour news, iPlayer) – in that case that are watching teh Been for free.

plenty of people on the forum who don’t have a P next to their name, they are getting forum use for free. STW towers are happy with that, currently the bbc are happy with freeloaders watching iplayer, I wouldn’t worry about it if I was you.

It gets my back up and for that reason I refuse to assist and comply.

Solo, ooh something we agree on 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

D0NK

Slight flaw in your STW comparison – adverts displayed to the forum users pays for the forum.

The Beeb don’t have adverts.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘TV licence people – entering the house?’ is closed to new replies.