Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Tutankhamun's knife was 'made from meteorite iron'
  • eulach

I’ll just leave this here.

CountZero

Meteorite iron is relatively easy to find in desert areas, and it would be highly valued as a source of metal that would be otherwise unavailable in its raw state.
    Really no need to go all Von Daniken, there’s nothing out of the ordinary about this.
    http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/science/geology/iron-the-sky-meteors-meteorites-and-ancient-culture

scotroutes

Jaffa! Cree jaffa!

maccruiskeen

Meteorite iron is relatively easy to find in desert areas,

And at the poles – Such as the Cape York meteorite that the Inuit used to used for making tools and harpoons.

Theres reckoned to be a pre iron age ‘meteorite age’ in places like Greenland where metal was cleaved from meteorites to make tools in the same way stone age communities used flint

footflaps

Theres reckoned to be a pre iron age ‘meteorite age’ in places like Greenland where metal was cleaved from meteorites to make tools in the same way stone age communities used flint

Learn something new every day!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Joking aside, I find ancient Egypt fascinating. It’d be great if they could explain it all in our lifetime…but I can’t see it happening

slowoldman

Explain all what?

Pook

How nobody found that cave with the ark in it in raiders of the lost ark despite Indiana Jones popping out of a direct tunnel to it not 200 yards away

MrSparkle

Explain all what?

The whole ‘walking’ thing.

antigee

so the Egytian’s lacked a domestic iron and steel industry making them the target of meteorites from space – free market or what?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Explain all what?

Theres loads of unknowns in the ancient world, lots of thoerys but no definitve explanations.

For example nobody knows why the pyramids were actually built, how the egyptians (assuming they built the pyramids) knew the layout of the solar system an so on.

Euro
    Free Member

Explain all what?

All the unexplained things. Starting with an obvious one.

How old are the Pyramids/Sphinx and who built them? You will probably find an answer on wiki – but it’s not the correct one.

If you answer/explain this, i’ll set you a tricky one 😛

Hadge
    Free Member

One of my all time favourite memories was seeing the gold mask when the King Tut exhibition came to the British Museum a very long time ago. It definitely is a once seen never forgotten thing. Stunning.

ninfan
    Free Member

How nobody found that cave with the ark in it in raiders of the lost ark despite Indiana Jones popping out of a direct tunnel to it not 200 yards away

Simple, they were digging in the wrong place…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

they were digging in the wrong place…

Excellent work. 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Euro, I’ll bite, Mauseleums, Egyptians (slaves thereof), 3000-2000 years ago.

OR

De Aleeumz

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Mauseleums, Egyptians (slaves thereof), 3000-2000 years ago.

Or did they modify something existing? A lot if research indicates that the structures are much older.

Unless time travel is developed, we’ll never know the answers.

The Mayans are equality as intriguing

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well did they or didn’t they? what research? give us some examples

Euro
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Euro, I’ll bite,

Not trolling. I’ve been fascinated by Egypt since i was a little boy. Lucked out having a friend who ended up being and Egyptologist and visited the place several times with him. Most of the monuments are probably as old as they say and indeed built by ancient Egyptians, some are obviously not. Being very big into the afterlife thing, practically every tomb is covered in carving (if you were rich) or painting (the majority) depicting the usual afterlifey spells. Inside the pyramids is not. Not carving/painting or anything. Only the roof of the ‘Kings’ Chamber has anything on it – badly painted stars. Not really fitting a King when you compare it to the resting place of his contemporaries is it?

I have my own theory about this… Most of the Pyramids were built by the ancient Egyptians. They are smaller and much less impressive but they were trying to copy the Pyramids at Giza. The stepped pyramid at Saqqara was their first attempt and they did progress but just couldn’t match the the impressive engineering of the original ones. I believe they (and the Sphinx) were originally built by an even more ancient civilisation that pre-dates the last ice age – i can elabotate if you wish? (or aliens 😀 )

A recent programme adds some weight to my theory – stating that the Sphinx is potentially much older than currently thought and was ‘adapted’ with the face of the King from it’s original form – a Lions head. A lot of this ‘adapting’ occurred back then. Ramesses III was famous for this type of thing – re-carving his shizz over others and claiming it for himself (hence the unusually deep carving of that typify his rule).

dvatcmark
    Free Member

There’s loads of interesting articles out there, just google it. Even the ‘ancient alien’ type studies raise some interesting questions.

Another good example is that Most people thing the pyramids have 4 sides, when they actually have 8. When you start digging into it there’s a huge amount of things that can’t be explained at present

Edit, I’m not trolling either, like Euro I find the ancient world very interesting

maccruiskeen

The Mayans are equality as intriguing

They were just lower resolution Egyptians

seosamh77
    Free Member

meteorite
    ?mi?t??r??t/Submit
    noun
    a piece of rock or metal that has fallen to the earth’s surface from outer space as a meteor. Over 90 per cent of meteorites are of rock while the remainder consist wholly or partly of iron and nickel.

I hate to burst this bubble but ye don’t need a space ship to find something that is to be found on the earths surface. 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Euro – yeah the pharoahs re-wrote history in their favourr as they went, appropriated symbols from earlier cultures, there are sphinx-type creatures all over with chimera of humans and lions, the lion being a fairly potent symbol in any animal/elemnt based theology. I can even see the ‘mre ancient civilisations’ bit to some extent but it’s all speculative. And although more complicated there’s nothing there that enters the realms of the inexplicable?

dvatcmark – I assume you’re talking abouth the break of slope on some of the bigger pramids? Wasnt that just due to them not being able to support the angle of the original planes of the pyramid?

shermer75
    Free Member

How old are the Pyramids/Sphinx and who built them? You will probably find an answer on wiki – but it’s not the correct one.

Thought they were built by this guy:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cool story re the meteorite, saw it the other day. As for the conspiracy stuff .. where’s jive when you need him 🙂

beanum

The lower half of the Sphinx shows signs of water erosion apparently. That “fact”, together with the Orion constellation arrangement of the great pyramids has suggested that it was constructed around 10,500BC.

This has been disputed…

Wiki Orion Constellation Theory

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ive been to Luxor a couple of times and the Pyramids. Not being into history particularly…I was amazed how intriguing I found the whole thing. I still watch every programme on the subject when I see it.

Such is the condition of some of the temples etc you can almost imagine what it must have been like. Definitely a place to visit before you die!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s a lot less mysterious than people think. A fine ancient civilisation no doubt, and interesting because of it, but I doubt there’s any great amazing thing that’s been hidden all this time. Just because we can’t think of a simple explanation 3000 years later based on leftovers, doesn’t mean there isn’t one! Or maybe they just made some shit up based on how they felt at the time.

I do however think there is an interesting phenomenon going on here though. The concept of ‘wisdom of the ancients’ has been popular currency since the renaissance, where they did rediscover a load of old knowledge that had been forgotten. This gave us the study of classics and the romantic idea that other amazing knowledge was there to be discovered or had even been lost forever*. Romance being what it is, these ideas have been recirculated so much in popular culture they are now completely embedded in our cultural landscape. Rather like war-like ideologically driven cultures, often from the East.. mm hmm…

* actually.. goes back further than that.. the Atlantis story is ancient Greek, or at least the basis of it.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Thestabaliser – no, there are actually 8 sides to the pyramid, but this can only be seen from above.

Its just another intriguing feature that can’t be explained

Kryton57

She seems to have worn well:

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why can’t it be explained? Don’t get it? They either designed it with eight sides so it’s got eight sides or it’s a quirk of construction, genuinely what’s mystical about this?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Apropos of nothing, my wife severely burnt her arse on this….

Makes you think…

gaidong
    Free Member

I work in this field of research, archaeometallurgy, and this King Tut’s dagger business is a right old chestnut. The point is not whether it’s made from meteoric iron, which possibility is well-known, but whether it was made from smelted iron, which would imply a development of the technique a couple of centuries earlier than presently thought. There are literally articles/chapters on this going back decades and, as soon as this latest wave of publicity was out (from an Italian team I believe) there was an email from a German team claiming conflicting data, such is the march of science!

p.s. for Greenland at least some of the iron is thought to be ‘telluric’ rather than meteoric. Telluric iron is a mineral (i.e. natural) with iron in the metallic state despite the element’s huge affinity for oxygen. A more normal name would be ‘native iron’, as one commonly gets native copper, lead, silver etc.

That will be all! 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

I work in this field of research, archaeometallurgy, and this King Tut’s dagger business is a right old chestnut. The point is not whether it’s made from meteoric iron, which possibility is well-known, but whether it was made from smelted iron, which would imply a development of the technique a couple of centuries earlier than presently thought.

What are you gonna do? Shut off the tape or shoot me with the forty-five? 😀

slowoldman

Another good example is that Most people thing the pyramids have 4 sides, when they actually have 8

I hadn’t come across that. A quick Google suggests however that it’s just the Great Pyramid and the only sites that seem to mention it seem to me to be linked to crystals, lizards and aliens.

More “learned” references don’t mention it. Must be a conspiracy eh? Makes you think.

gaidong
    Free Member

@perchypanther, I’m looking for (the truth about) a dagger!

perchypanther
    Free Member

@perchypanther, I’m looking for (the truth about) a dagger!

If you could verify it’s existence it’d be like discovering a 747 a thousand years before the Wright Brothers ever flew. 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Makes you think…

Depends, does your wife’s arse look like this?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nah, it’s got more pyramid burns on it. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Tutankhamun's knife was 'made from meteorite iron'’ is closed to new replies.