Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tuscany Trail
  • njigsaw
    Free Member

Has anyone participated in the Tuscany Trail ride and is happy to try and answer questions regarding entry requirements etc?

Many thanks

Neal

RoterStern
    Free Member

Three from my club did it this year. I can ask them if there is something specific you need to know.

aP
    Free Member

The only entry requirements are the ability to pay and to be able to work out how to actually enter (requires registering before being able to enter).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    celticdragon

I attempted this years but had to scratch due to a crash then a mechanical.

Happy to answer questions.

benp1

There’s a big thread on this on the Bear Bones Bikepacking forum, quite a few did it. Will be a gold mine of information

aP
    Free Member

we found the first couple of days tough finding somewhere to stop overnight. First night in a big shed behind a bar, then camped by a track leading down to a river crossing. Gets better after that.
    It was damp this year..

njigsaw
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies.

Unfortunately the TT website seems to fall over with regard to trying to join and get involved with the forum there. I think there is a registration link there but that won’t open for some time.

I’m trying to bottom out the requirement for a medical certificate. Been looking at the Tuscany Trail website and forum and there seems to be a mention of this requirement at registration.

Trying to find out whether providing a medical cert is a requirement or not.

CelticDragon, not sure if your the gent on the TT forum who lives in Italy, if so seen your comments re the Italian doctors and a cert form them.

I’ll have a look at the Barebones forum thanks.

Neal

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Trying to find out whether providing a medical cert is a requirement or not

it is see your doctor. Its a requirement for all Italy events. Its a jobs worth form. Join their facebook and you friend the organiser and he will msg you to sort any problems

njigsaw
    Free Member

Hmm better make a booking with my GP now to hope to see them in time for June.

celticdragon

@njigsaw, I post as Celtic Dragpn on there (typo when signing up), Alan is the Ex pat(Welsh Boy), who helps Andrea out with the multi languages needed (as he speaks Italian and German as well).

As Pawsy_Bear said, its a cover for them legaly, it was explained to me, in Italy, they are required to go for yearly checkups, where as for an event here, we can just self certify. Welcome to Italian law.

Just go to your GP and get a letter stating you are fit enough to take part, its all Andrea wants to see, then just email it to him. Mine cost me £20 for 2 sentances!

As mentioned, join the Facebook group, and Andrea Borchi is the organiser, and his English is very good so don’t worry on that front. He replys in a couple of hours during the day to Facebook messages.

Best way I found of navigating the website was put it through google translate, and for the sign up form, just translate each box title.

Word of warning on the forum, if you are in English mode, it will only show the first post and not the subsiquent ones (unless they have fixed the code). The forum is also only really used on the run up to the event, 99% time all the chat is on Facebook.

Heres hoping the exchange rate improves as I want to go back next year, it really is a stunning ride. I’ll echo Ap’s comments, the first 2 mountains, don’t open up many secluded sleeping spots, but if you are prepared to just wild camp anywhere, not a huge problem.

Oh and if you sleep in the gym at the start, bring earplugs! :mrgreen:

njigsaw
    Free Member

CD, thanks for that and the clarification.

Yep I’ve gathered the operation of the TT website and the discrepancies of the language choice. Spent a long night shift with Google Italian translation copying and pasting. Mind you the Italian’s coming along nicely.

I’m not really looking at it as a race just something to have a go at and finish having a good crack along the way. Bivvying where possible or poshing it out if accommodation provides itself.

Never signed up to Facebook so looks like that’s something else to learn and have a bash at.

How did you get down there, train, fly drive?

celticdragon

I flew from Luton to Pisa as I live in Bedfordshire, then caught the train to Massa the day before ( dead easy and cheap) I had booked the return flight from Rome as the plan was to see Rome as a tourist before coming home. Next year I’ll fly into and out of Pisa.

I tour it, as do a lot of others, I’d planned for 4 days, which in the dry might have been possible. When you see names like Josh Ibbet and other trans con finishers on the start list, racing wasn’t an option. I suspect next year will see other big names on it.

Oh hope you like pizza!! They cost about 3-4 Euro this year.

aP
    Free Member

Sorry, had forgotten about the Drs letter. There’s a link on cyclosport for a form, they’re valid for 2 years.
    We drove down and left the van at a campsite near the beach.
    Next year we’re intending to do Tuscany Road as we’ve got other commitments in early June.

flatfish
    Free Member

I didn’t get a doctors note and Andrea didn’t chase me about it.
    If you open the forum using chrome it’ll automatically translate to English.
    First two days were hard this year with torrential rain and flooding, temps around 9c then it got better until the last day around the island when my gps recorded 46c, that was rather warm. Spent the first days, pissed wet through, no rain coat would have coped with that amount of rain.
    If your wheat intolerant you’ll not have fun. Most food we found was either pizza or sandwiches and I struggled with low energy levels meaning I only completed 440k instead of the 550k.
    That said, I treated it like a holiday and had a blast between the low points.

njigsaw
    Free Member

aP Cheers for link to cyclosport. Yes bloody great link for a doctors note on their front page. Validity on the front of the form is one year.

For any one else reading this or interested then:
    http://www.cyclosport.org/30-Oct-2008/news/medical-certificates-now-required-for-events-abroad.html

adjustablewench
    Free Member

As Flatfish says no medical certificate required. Pretty sure none of us from the Bearbones crowd got one . . . Obviously we weren’t questioned on this as we’re all such fine physical specimens 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tuscany Trail’ is closed to new replies.