Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tuscany
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Any decent riding in Tuscany?
    The wife has just asked me to find out if it’s worth taking my bike.

rendo
    Free Member

Of Course, its a stunning place to cycle. definetely take your bike. you see a lot more by bike and i find you encounter some of the less well troden tourist destinations.
    On or Off Road?
    Where abouts in Tuscany are you going to?

In the main Tuscany is hilly, lots of nice rolling hillside and plenty of hilltop towns to cycle through. and there are plenty of local cyclists. go out on a sunday morning and its like a local sportive. there are plenty

North of Lucca, you head into garfagnana where it becomes more mountainous with plenty of nice road climbs, but a lots of off-road routes too.

I’m biased though, i have a house in garfagnana, i fell in love with the place when i first cycled through.

portlyone

Keeping an eye on this too, we should be holidaying there later in the year.

Driller
    Free Member

We just got back from Tuscany (went there for a week after riding with Riviera Bike). We stayed in a beautiful hill-top village (yes, there’s loads of them) between Lucca and Castelnuovo di Garfagnana. We pretty easily found some epic off-road routes and if you don’t mind a bit of a hike-a-bike you can have some proper adventures on the long-range paths, there are maps in most of the villages.

Check out http://www.bikemap.net for loads of routes around there, handy of you have a GPS.

There are some published MTB routes around Portofino and the Cinque Terre a little further north.

Ride, coffee, ride, beer, piles of food, sunshine, scenery, beer, wine. I reckon you’d be gutted if you didn’t take your bike. Enjoy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tuscany’ is closed to new replies.