Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Turns out the desert is a bit warm…
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

…who would have thought it.

At 10am in the morning!

Too hot to even rant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

49 down 3 to go 🙂
    Hitting the heights of 24 here tomorrow. Hows the nomad doing out there? Anything melted yet?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Hows the nomad doing out there? Anything melted yet?

Only me.

Its good, even in the sand and pea gravel it still pedals well, I’m just so un-fit and trying to do a few km’s after work when its 35+ is hard but I hope if I keep at it it’ll get easier!

Quite impressed with the CTD system on the forks/shock – in climb mode they really stiffen the fork/shock up and it pedals really well for it. Would definitely consider a CTD lever to control it – can see me using just Climb and Descend to be honest – hard up soft down.

Shame there’s no down really here its only gentle gradients – I know its technically impossible for it all to be uphill but it feels it – no freewheeling here – you just come to a sandy / gravelly halt.

I guess its good for the legs to have to pedal the whole time…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The missus has the CTD on the Blur LTC (Talas up front) and it does seem good. 95% of the time in Trail for her. Climb for the road and occasionally into D. Though some more setup playing might change that.

I was struggling at 30c here when I got here 🙂 Doing some riding on the mainland in March so hope it’s not to bad by then.

I reckon you will get plenty of Strava KOM’s up there

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

A) what is this Strava thing – some kinda GPS/training thing
    B) What is a ‘KOM’?

Havent really had a chance to play with the settings yet – just made them firm with a little give for the corrugations. Looking forward to popping back to the cold wet uk in Dec / Jan and trying them on some DH tracks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strava is the GPS training with added race randoms.

KOM’s for the fastest on the created segments – can’t see you having much competition unless the wildlife has smart phones
    http://app.strava.com/activities/28749521
    Last night little race (actually a race with other people though 🙂

thejesmonddingo

KOM stands for King of the Mountains,Stravaist willy waving

tarquin
    Free Member

Temperature gauge out in the sun?

I don’t find the heat “that” bad as long as the humidity is quite low and the sun in. If the suns out then it just gets silly, the worst thing has to be all the flies though.

Drac

I don’t know Antartica isn’t too warm.

Pigface
    Free Member

When I was working near Meekathara just used to go and have a siesta underground in one of the old mines, so cool and nice. We used to get a breeze in the afternoon that when it was really hot was like standing in front of a fan heater.

Never though I would say this but after about a year I got used to the flies.

binners

*is again disappointed with lack of apple pie content*

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Temperature gauge out in the sun?

No I just pulled it round out the shade to photo it.

Its broken 50C in the shade a couple of times now…

Been out here 18 months – I forgot just how thick the flies get in summer. Its like having a black buzzing cloud around your head!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Turns out the desert is a bit warm…’ is closed to new replies.