Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Turns out that I was wrong. (shoe content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Disagree.

Just cos it’s on the internet, doesn’t make it necessarily wrong or any more biased than anything else. Peer reviewed papers are on the internet too you know.

Or are you suggesting I set up my own experiments and conduct extensive research myself, rather than read other people who’ve done it? Cos that’s not exactly practical for me currently.

crikey
    Free Member

Or are you suggesting I set up my own experiments and conduct extensive research myself, rather than read other people who’ve done it

😆

molgrips, that’s you that is!

You, of all the folk on here take things and explore them to the nth degree!

Sandwich

When I were a lad ee by gum I rode around on a £99 racing bike…

When you were a lad Molgrips that was the equivalent of a Ti Lynksey! 😀 We had to make our entertainment with old fertiliser bags when I were a lad…

Cue “You were lucky” sketch!!

molgrips
    Free Member

You, of all the folk on here take things and explore them to the nth degree!

Yes – thanks! Now tell that to surfer 🙂

PS I actually did a lot of miles on my £99 racer between the ages of 14 and 17. I became ‘interested’ in bike maintenance so stripped it and kept it in excellent condition (as crikey would expect), and I used it to go visit my mates in their villages.

crikey
    Free Member

and kept it in excellent condition (as crikey would expect),

I must make a confession… I’m (Oh please merciful God that I have on many occasions said I don’t believe in…) in the process of moving house and haven’t cleaned any of my bikes for ages. They are filthy and I’m getting a bit nervous about it all now.

molgrips
    Free Member

My 5 is in a state, has been for over 2 weeks since I last rode it 🙁

CaptJon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Disagree.

Just cos it’s on the internet, doesn’t make it necessarily wrong or any more biased than anything else. Peer reviewed papers are on the internet too you know.

Not proper research.

Or are you suggesting I set up my own experiments and conduct extensive research myself, rather than read other people who’ve done it? Cos that’s not exactly practical for me currently.

Proper research.

Nothing personal, but as someone who does proper research for living i hate to see the term devalued by people who think reading reviews of a product, or half understanding a journal article they found is research.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The more I run in my minimalist shoes the more I enjoy it and the more I enjoy running again and the fitter I get and the better I feel. To the point that I went out and ran up a hill in the pentlands is the rain and wind and mud last night just to see if I could.

The shoes are up there with the best money i’ve ever spent. They might not work for everyone, but they work for me and I am delighted about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing personal, but as someone who does proper research for living i hate to see the term devalued by people who think reading reviews of a product, or half understanding a journal art they found is research.

Oh come on.. it’s about context, obviously. Research means trying to find stuff out. You are clearly in a position to go into far greater depth than I am in whatever it is that you do, but if I try to find something out it’s still research. It’s like saying my neighbours are devaluing the term “cycling” by using it for their 20 mile spin.

I used the term “proper” because I read many opinions and sources of various types and drew conclusions based on their content and apparent quality. I’m so obviously not claiming to have done a large rigorous study.

Get over yourself, in this case.

piemonster

Lifted from a Podiatry forum, seems relevant

There is nothing wrong with maximalist running shoes (ie the Hoka One One’s)
    There is nothing wrong with minimalist running shoes

It all comes down to two things:
    1. What feeling you prefer to have under your foot
    2. What injury history you have (maximalist vs minimalist encourage different gaits that load tissues different –> all depends which tissues that you need to load less)

Everything else at this stage is just rhetoric and propaganda.

I run 2-3 days a week in Hoka Ones and 2-3 days a week in NB Minimus’s and 2-3 days a week in various “traditional” running shoes ( and wear my MBTs to work 2 days a week!)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Turns out that I was wrong. (shoe content)’ is closed to new replies.